Old July 4th 03, 07:34 PM
Ray

Default Panasonic 4900 vs. FRG 7

The Panasonic RF-4900 sucks. It is impressive to the eye, but comparing it
to other radios like the Yaesu FRG-100 the RF-4900 is a "toy" shortwave for
kids.

Remember Panasonic marketed these radio for kids and young adolescents,
trying to make them "look" like they were sophisticated with acronyms like
"Double Premix" crap which is nothing more than double superheterodyne.

I opened an RF-4900 to clean the insides and realized what a crappy radio it
is. Its big size is deliberate, since the insides is mostly hollow space!

Never compare Panasonic shortwave to anything Yaesu built. They are not in
the same league to be compared. That is why Panasonic is no longer in the
shortwave business, having been overwhelmed with Sony's fine line of
microprocessor controlled shortwaves.

"Rastus" wrote in message
Just wondering what the pro's, con's and preferences were between the
Panasonic RF-4900 and Yaseu FRG-7 when compared to one another. The
digital readout on the Panasonic along with the FM radio portion make it
desirable, but of paramount interest is which performs best on the SW band
and which performs best on the AM band with a loop antennae.... FM
capability & digital readout are secondary for me and....I know some of

the
newer units are better, but this is for use in the garage when changing

oil,
hiding from the XYL, etc..

Email address is bogus in attempt to avoid marketers and off-topic ax
grinders....

--
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Old July 6th 03, 06:07 AM
Ray

But you're making a false anachronistic comparison. A FRG-7 also sucks
when
compared to an ICF-2001 from the same era.

Well...I never mentioned the FRG7...my criticism was toward the Panasonic
RF-4900 only. I can't say a thing about the Yaesu FRG7 since I have never
owned one..but I have owned the Yaesu FRG-100 and can say I was very
impressed with this receiver. There is nothing Panasonic has made that has
impressed me...not even the famed RF-2200 which is probably the best
Panasonic ever did, although still a "toy" shortwave for kids.

"Rastus" wrote in message
Just wondering what the pro's, con's and preferences were between the
Panasonic RF-4900 and Yaseu FRG-7 when compared to one another. The
digital readout on the Panasonic along with the FM radio portion make

it
desirable, but of paramount interest is which performs best on the SW

band
and which performs best on the AM band with a loop antennae....

To answer your questions, consult the 1980 WRTH, which compares them for
just those criteria, and explicity lists the pro's & con's. The unmodified
versions were both rated "fair" overall. The 4900 performs slightly better
on MW, according to them, which isn't saying much, since the FRG-7 was the
worst performer on MW of any set tested.

Old July 6th 03, 07:36 AM
Maximo Lachman

"Ray" ) writes:
But you're making a false anachronistic comparison. A FRG-7 also sucks

when compared to an ICF-2001 from the same era.

Well...I never mentioned the FRG7...my criticism was toward the Panasonic
RF-4900 only. I can't say a thing about the Yaesu FRG7 since I have never
owned one..but I have owned the Yaesu FRG-100 and can say I was very

It's a false comparison to say that the FRG-7 will be better on the basis
of the FRG-100 which was a later model than even the ICF-2001.

impressed with this receiver. There is nothing Panasonic has made that has
impressed me...not even the famed RF-2200 which is probably the best
Panasonic ever did, although still a "toy" shortwave for kids.

The Bell&Howell is a toy for kids. The RF-2200 wasn't (perhaps for adults;
kids can't be bothered recalibrating at 100 kHz intervals). Besides, the
poster also asked about MW performance, where the FRG-7 was the worst of
all receivers tested by WRTH. The RF-4900 was listed as having the best
audio quality of any receiver under $1000, due to full-wave diode
detection, and the best internal speaker of any set tested, including
the Drake R-7. The FRG-7 only comes close if modified internally, and
an external speaker is added; it should only be considered if DXing
& BFO stability are major concerns.

Old July 18th 03, 06:36 AM
RHF

RASTUS,

During its time the Panasonic RF-4900 was a 'consumer' grade radio
designed for the popular commercial market. Looks NICE and has many
NICE Features
yada, Yada. YADA !
- - - If you want something to put in your living room along with your
Stereo Equipment then may be the RF-4900 is what you want.

During Its time the Yaesu FRG-7 was an 'communications' grade receiver
designed for the SWL and HAM market. In its day the FRG-7 was a
"Bench Mark" that other radio/receivers use to be compared to.
- - - If you want something to put in your "Shack" and connected to a
good antenna for some good BCL and SWL: Then the FRG-7 Is What You
Need [.]

But the Panasonic RF-4900 and the Yaesu FRG-7 are no comparison for
todays newer radios.

If you like the Panasonic RF-4900 consider the Grundig Satellit 800M.

If you like the Yaseu FRG-7; consider the FRG-7700, the FRG-8800 or
the newest FRG-100.

~ RHF
..
..