Old January 27th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Default attention NEW and apartment bound shortwave listeners !!!!!

mike maghakian wrote:
I have just put together a compact but very good system shortwave listening
system for newcomers that want simplicity but good performance or those in
apartments that can't put up a big antenna !!

first I took a Kenwood R-600, this is a very compact communications
receiver, this is not a cheap toy, much of the circuitry is based on the
R-1000. the R-600 as with many receivers has poor selectivity in the SWL
(wide) filter position. I have replaced the wide filter with a very high
quality 6kHz filter that really selects the stations while allowing
excellent fidelity ! this set sounds nice for taking up such little space.
for tough listening the narrow AM filter is quite good selectivity wise
while offering limited fidelity.

next I took an Ameco preamp and designed a nice whip antenna for it. now you
can tune in the signals you want and reduce interference from out of band
signals. the Ameco is AC based so you don't need an AC adapter or batteries.

with this combo, there is very little space needed and I have pulled in 10
KW stations from south america like locals with the preamp engaged.

I think this system would be great for someone who wants a very simple set
to operate or someone who wants to put a set in the corner and not take up a
lot of space and have wires all over the place.

price is $195 plus shipping.

usually when I sell a set I include antenna wire and a nice external speaker
but in this case it is not needed !!!!!

email me DIRECT at for more info and pictures

I assume it includes the R-600.