Old April 30th 05, 06:07 AM
John Smith

Default Isn't my antenna a balun, or would that be UnUn?

My antenna seems to match the impedance of my transmission line (50 ohms) to
the impedance of the either (370 some-odd-ohms), isn't that a balun?

Regards,
John

Old April 30th 05, 07:38 AM
John Smith

Well, since no one answered my post, I think I am going to toss this darn
balun away and get a "real" antenna...

Trouble is, trying to find one which doesn't think it is a tuneable
balun!!!!

Regards,
John

Old April 30th 05, 12:15 PM
Bob Miller

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 22:07:51 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

My antenna seems to match the impedance of my transmission line (50 ohms) to
the impedance of the either (370 some-odd-ohms), isn't that a balun?

Regards,
John

How did you compute the impedance of the "either"?

bob
k5qwg

Old April 30th 05, 12:45 PM
W3JDR

"Balun" is a contraction for "balanced-to-unbalanced". It converts an
unbalanced drive source (such as a grounded coaxial feed) into a
differential drive drive source that is completely floating with respect to
ground or any other common point.

Even if there were such a thing as the 'ether' (there isn't; elecromagnetic
waves don't need a medium to propagate), your antenna would not be
classified as a 'balun' just because it transforms your electrical feed into
electromagnetic waves. It would more accurately be called a 'transducer'
because it transforms energy from one form (electrical) to another form
(electromagnetic). One of the characteristics of a transducer is that it has
input coupling properties as well as output coupling properties, so in this
respect part of your statement is sort of accurate - the part about
impedance matching.

Joe
W3JDR

Old April 30th 05, 02:08 PM
Cecil Moore

John Smith wrote:
My antenna seems to match the impedance of my transmission line (50 ohms) to
the impedance of the either (370 some-odd-ohms), isn't that a balun?

Is the Ęther balanced or unbalanced? Maybe balanced in free
space and unbalanced on Earth?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old April 30th 05, 02:17 PM
Mike Coslo

John Smith wrote:
Well, since no one answered my post, I think I am going to toss this darn
balun away and get a "real" antenna...

Trouble is, trying to find one which doesn't think it is a tuneable
balun!!!!

Hehe! Actually, John, I am posting to see if you could include a few
lines at least of the msg you are responding to.

I enjoy your posts, but I don't always know what they are about! 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old April 30th 05, 02:28 PM
Cecil Moore

John Smith wrote:
Well, since no one answered my post, I think I am going to toss this darn
balun away and get a "real" antenna...

John, expecting an answer during the time from midnight to
1.5 hours later might be a tad delusional.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old April 30th 05, 02:38 PM
Cecil Moore

W3JDR wrote:
Even if there were such a thing as the 'ether' (there isn't; elecromagnetic
waves don't need a medium to propagate), ...

Actually they do. It is generally accepted that EM waves
cannot propagate outside of the universe precisely because
of the absence of any structure (medium). Our medium of
space is thought to have at least ten dimensions.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old April 30th 05, 03:01 PM
Wes Stewart

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 08:28:23 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

John Smith wrote:
Well, since no one answered my post, I think I am going to toss this darn
balun away and get a "real" antenna...

John, expecting an answer during the time from midnight to
1.5 hours later might be a tad delusional.

"John" always gets prompt responses to his (her) posts....even if he
(she) has to do it him(her)self.

That's why he (she) often doesn't include any quoted text. He (she)
knows what he (she) said, so why bother repeating him(her)self?

Old April 30th 05, 04:08 PM
Tom Donaly

wrote:

John Smith wrote:

Well, since no one answered my post, I think I am going to toss this darn
balun away and get a "real" antenna...

John, expecting an answer during the time from midnight to
1.5 hours later might be a tad delusional.

"John" always gets prompt responses to his (her) posts....even if he
(she) has to do it him(her)self.

That's why he (she) often doesn't include any quoted text. He (she)
knows what he (she) said, so why bother repeating him(her)self?

You forgot to include "it" in the "he (she)" nomenclature.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH