Old August 20th 05, 08:32 AM
Polymath

Default The Weekly F.A.Q.....

What is Ham Radio?

Ham Radio is a technical pursuit for those who
are interested in the science of radio wave
propagation and who are also interested in the
way that their radios function. It has a long-standing
tradition of providing a source of engineers who
are born naturals.

Ham Radio awakens in its aficionados a whole-life
fascination with all things technical and gives
an all-abiding curiosity to improve one's scientific
knowledge. It's a great swimming pool, please dive in!

This excitement causes a wish to share the experience
with ones fellow man, and shows itself in the
gentlemanly traditions of Ham Radio.

Radio Hams are in a unique privileged position in that
they can construct and operate their own equipment! No-one
else has this privilege. Users, such as broadcasters,
the po lice and armed farces, CBers and mobile phone
users have to purchase ready-made gear. Manufacturers
are not licensed to operate their gear. Radio Hams
are qualified to design, build and then
operate their own pieces of equipment. They do this
with gusto, and also repair and modify their own
equipment. This is a privilege well worth the effort
to gain, and one to be jealously guarded.

The excitement that drives a Radio Ham starts with
relatively simple technologies at first, perhaps making
his own Wimshurst machine and primary cells. Small pieces
of test equipment follow, possibly multimeters and signal
generators. Then comes receivers and transmitters. It is with
the latter that communication with like-minded technically
motivated people takes off. The scope for technical
development grows with the years
and now encompasses DSP and DDS. There is also a great deal
of excitement in the areas of computer programming to
be learnt and applied.

The technical excitement motivates Radio Hams to compete
with each other to determine who has designed and manufactured
the best-quality station. This competitiveness is found in DXing,
competitions and fox-hunts.

-----OOOOO----

However, beware! A Ham Radio licence is such a
desirable thing to have that there are large
numbers of people who wish to be thought of
as Radio Hams when, in fact, they are nothing
of the kind! Usually such people are a
variation of the CB Radio hobbyist; they buy their
radios off the shelf and send them back to be
repaired; they are not interested in technical discussion
and sneer at those who are; they have no idea how
their radios work inside and have no wish to find out;
they are free with rather silly personal insults;
they have not satisfied any technical qualification
and their licences prevent the use of
self-designed-and-built equipment.

These CB types engage in the competitive activities
with their Cheque-Book-purchased off-the-shelf radios
in a forlorn effort to prove that they are Radio Hams.

No _REAL_ Radio Hams are deceived by such people!

Old August 20th 05, 09:55 AM
Conrad Poos

Polymath wrote:

Users, such as broadcasters,
the po lice and armed farces, CBers and mobile phone
users have to purchase ready-made gear.

Even though its true that only amateurs are allowed to make their own
stuff, I don't see the relevance of bringing the armed services, police
etc into the argument. This FarceAQ becomes increasingly bitter and
bizarre with each passing week.

yoda
Strong in this one is the dark side of the farce!!
/yoda

Poos

--
vy 73 de Conrad Poos

"Ich bin ein Jedi radio amateur"
Old August 20th 05, 10:06 AM
Highland Ham

Even though its true that only amateurs are allowed to make their own
stuff, I don't see the relevance of bringing the armed services, police
etc into the argument. This FarceAQ becomes increasingly bitter and
bizarre with each passing week.

========================
My suggestion : Just ignore FarceAQs.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Old August 20th 05, 10:10 AM
Highland Ham

===========================

Old August 20th 05, 11:17 AM
Polymath

Perhaps it is that those who respond in a negative style,
or those who respond with Childish Broadcasts (CB), are
from the very group of CBers that are
warned against in the FAQ?

I just hope that we have not left it too late to
prevent Ham Radio from becoming a gangrenous
degeneration of such non-technical CBers.

Old August 20th 05, 11:55 AM
Conrad Poos

Polymath wrote:

I just hope that we have not left it too late to
prevent Ham Radio from becoming a gangrenous
degeneration of such non-technical CBers.

Better a non-technical CBer than a hate-filled mentalist!

Poos

--
vy 73 de Conrad Poos

"Ich bin ein radio amateur"
Old August 20th 05, 12:34 PM
the real ME

"Conrad Poos" wrote in message
. ..

Wot ? You not kilfiled the **** yet ?

Old August 20th 05, 05:48 PM
Polymath

If you think that a very genuine concern being
expressed about what Ham Radio is and what it is
not is a troll, then I fear that you yourself may
have been taken in by the CB fanatics and have become
a CBer although misbelieving that you were a Radio Ham.

Do not side with the infantile Childish Broadcasters (CBers)
who use such unnecessary phraseology as "hate-filled
mentalist".

(There is no hate in what I publish - all-comers are
welcome to join the ranks of _REAL_ Radio Hams - there
are no exceptions! However, that is not to say that we
must accept the Mongolian Hordes of untechnical CBers
as our fellows because that is one thing that they ain't.)

Jim Higgins wrote:
On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 10:55:13 GMT, in
, Conrad Poos
wrote:
Polymath wrote:
I just hope that we have not left it too late to
prevent Ham Radio from becoming a gangrenous
degeneration of such non-technical CBers.

Better a non-technical CBer than a hate-filled mentalist!

Better that you get the same clue most got some time ago and
realize the author of this "FAQ" is a troll and you're feeding
him.
Non-technical CBers are just another bunch of guys having fun
with their hobby. Live and let live. There's absolutely nothing
redeeming about troll feeders.

Old August 20th 05, 05:53 PM
John Smith

PM:

What you "publish" is bizarre...

Frankly, in my very humble opinion, I can't imagine anyone short of a
ma'roon being able to "see it" for any resemblance of truth... anyone with
common sense would be ashamed to associate themselves with such... but
hey, never hurts to try...

.... good luck ...

John

Old August 21st 05, 02:05 AM
M0WWS

10-4 good buddy. Keep your shiney side up and your dirty side down
(profound even for CB ?) we up we down we left we right we catch you on
the flip side. Bye bye for now, bye bye for them, bye bye for who,m bye
bbye for whom, we gotta a zoom. You up You down we down we out bye bye
and best 73s 88s 51s and 501's we clear...