Old March 18th 05, 03:32 PM
Kristinn Andersen, TF3KX

Default Insulating antenna wire for safety?

I am contemplating running a wire, a part of a 160m antenna, along the
surface of my house where it may be touched by people and animals. To
prevent accidental burning or shocks from RF the wire would at least
need to be insulated and preferably even enclosed in a plastic
conduit, or tube, with sufficient spacing from the wire to the conduit
surface. This would have to be safe for all types of weather,
including rainy days when moist creeps everywhere. I am currently
running only 100W, but may upgrade to a KW in the next few months.

Are there any comments or advice on the safety of having an antenna
wire in a reachable position and how to prevent accidents? Minimum
spacing, insulating material? Would the RF result "only" in RF burns
on the surface of the skin, or worse? A similar problem comes up with
above-ground radials. My antenna wires will not be visible from my
operating position in the shack.

73 - Kristinn, TF3KX
Old March 19th 05, 09:43 PM
DaveC

I dont know about Iceland, but in the US at 160m you are required to
perform an RF safety evaluation at PEP 500+ Watts. My personal
suggestion is that you have no business even thinking about going 1kw
when you cant answer this question yourself. IMHO this is a really bad
idea, and with all due respect, I think you need a bit more education
(like learning to do the safety eveluation, which would answer your
questions) before you fool around and hurt someone.