Old May 8th 05, 07:47 AM
John Smith

Default No progress in decades...

Decades have brought us moon landing, mars landings,masers, lasers, lets,
fets, mosfets, computers, etc...

But the shape of radio equip. has remained virtually stagnant.

One "innovation" would be to just copy what the IBM clone has taught us.

Build a radio of "cards." Just like the computer, a standard case which you
can plugin various power supplies, frontend board "cards", intermediate
board "cards", buffer amp board "cards", IF board "cards", audio board
"cards", xmitter board "cards", final amp board "cards", etc.... I think
you get the pic

One radio case can/could virtually be any radio you can imagine.... new
design in a frontend? Plug in a new front end "card", new audio offering?
Plug in a new audio board "card."

Someone really should get off a dead duff somewhere and DO IT!!!!

Kinda makes ya wonder why not? Doesn't it?

Warmest regards,
John

--
I AM ONE-IN-A-MILLION!!!!!
Too bad the other 999,999 got there first.. frown

Old May 8th 05, 09:31 AM
Roy Lewallen

John Smith wrote:
. . .
Someone really should get off a dead duff somewhere and DO IT!!!!

Kinda makes ya wonder why not? Doesn't it?

I sure seem to hear that a lot.

Some *other* lazy bum oughtta get off his duff and do it.

Why don't you do it? If the problem is that you don't have the technical
know-how, well, how do you think those people who have it, got it? By
being lazy?

Typing a few sentences and hitting Send sure is easier than studying,
isn't it?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old May 8th 05, 09:39 AM
atec

Roy Lewallen wrote:
John Smith wrote:

. . .
Someone really should get off a dead duff somewhere and DO IT!!!!

Kinda makes ya wonder why not? Doesn't it?

I sure seem to hear that a lot.

Some *other* lazy bum oughtta get off his duff and do it.

Why don't you do it? If the problem is that you don't have the technical
know-how, well, how do you think those people who have it, got it? By
being lazy?

Typing a few sentences and hitting Send sure is easier than studying,
isn't it?

So it would appear is attacking another's comment .

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old May 8th 05, 11:13 AM

"John Smith" wrote:

[...]

Sounds just like a Drake TR-7. Too bad there isn't enough money to be
made to the ham market to have allowed this to be developed.

Russ
--
Russ
"Two-fifteen, no ambulance needed!" (G. J. Golden, ECPD)
Old May 8th 05, 12:47 PM
Harold E. Johnson

Someone really should get off a dead duff somewhere and DO IT!!!!

Kinda makes ya wonder why not? Doesn't it?

Warmest regards,
John

Sounds just like a Drake TR-7. Too bad there isn't enough money to be
made to the ham market to have allowed this to be developed.

Russ

Actually, sounds a lot more like the Elecraft K2. Nothing new with the
approach. Better spent, would be the time and effort to improve the
operational performance. In-band dynamic range could stand some improvement,
and oscillator phase noise is an abomination both on RX and TX of most every
radio out there. Someone COULD, if only he would. Too busy dreaming up
defunct ideas.

W4ZCB

Old May 8th 05, 01:36 PM
Dee Flint

wrote in message
"John Smith" wrote:

[...]

I, too, suspect that it does indeed come down to market forces.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old May 8th 05, 01:37 PM
Mike Coslo

Roy Lewallen wrote:
John Smith wrote:

. . .
Someone really should get off a dead duff somewhere and DO IT!!!!

Kinda makes ya wonder why not? Doesn't it?

I sure seem to hear that a lot.

Some *other* lazy bum oughtta get off his duff and do it.

Why don't you do it? If the problem is that you don't have the technical
know-how, well, how do you think those people who have it, got it? By
being lazy?

Typing a few sentences and hitting Send sure is easier than studying,
isn't it?

Yoiks, Roy! That was a little caustic wasn't it?

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old May 8th 05, 02:18 PM
John Smith

Ahhhh, the *others* just don't understand you meant that in "the best
possible way", I do...

Actually, I agree with you!!! Well, as long as you didn't include me in
that "*other* lazy bum" of yours... grin

Warmest regards,
John

Old May 8th 05, 02:25 PM
John Smith

Russ:

That is my point! Too many look at ham radio as "special" and "separate."

What I suggested was gov't, commercial and, yes, even CB in that suggestion.
I am just guessing, but you market to that wide a group and you are just
bound to sell a dozen--or two! grin

And, having the design so others can purchase rights (reasonably charged!)
to use "your case", then the innovation brought to the market by "the many
manufacturers" (and thousands of minds) gives your product real "SEX
APPEAL!"

Warmest regards,

John

Old May 8th 05, 02:33 PM
Harold E. Johnson

Typing a few sentences and hitting Send sure is easier than studying,
isn't it?

Yoiks, Roy! That was a little caustic wasn't it?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Considering what has gone before, it's unduly tame.

W4ZCB