Old January 5th 08, 10:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Icom 706 MkIIG Problems with Signalink USB Box

All

I have managed to get my signalink box working very well with the
706MkIIG but have found that it causes a weird side effect in that
when
the cable is plugged in the back of the rig it heavily attenuates my
voice so that people struggle to hear me when i am speaking on the
mic.
To be heard i need to turn up AGC to 10. When unplugged the lead i can
leave at normal setting of 5. Since everything else is working ok has
anyone else experienced this problem or got any ideas.

Many thanks

Andy
Old January 5th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Andiroo" wrote in message
All

I have managed to get my signalink box working very well with the
706MkIIG but have found that it causes a weird side effect in that
when
the cable is plugged in the back of the rig it heavily attenuates my
voice so that people struggle to hear me when i am speaking on the
mic.
To be heard i need to turn up AGC to 10. When unplugged the lead i can
leave at normal setting of 5. Since everything else is working ok has
anyone else experienced this problem or got any ideas.

Many thanks

Andy

---------------

What is a Signalink USB Box?

Ed, NM2K

Old January 5th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Jan 5, 5:11*pm, "Ed Cregger" wrote:
"Andiroo" wrote in message

All

I have managed to get my signalink box working very well with the
706MkIIG but have found that it causes a weird side effect in that
when
the cable is plugged in the back of the rig it heavily attenuates my
voice so that people struggle to hear me when i am speaking on the
mic.
To be heard i need to turn up AGC to 10. When unplugged the lead i can
leave at normal setting of 5. Since everything else is working ok has
anyone else experienced this problem or got any ideas.

Many thanks

Andy

---------------

What is a Signalink USB Box?

Ed, NM2K

Ed

Its a box that connects to via TNC and allows digital modes to be
used. See www.tigertronics.com/slusbmain.htm

Thanks

Andy
Old January 5th 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Andiroo wrote:
All

I have managed to get my signalink box working very well with the
706MkIIG but have found that it causes a weird side effect in that
when
the cable is plugged in the back of the rig it heavily attenuates my
voice so that people struggle to hear me when i am speaking on the
mic.
To be heard i need to turn up AGC to 10. When unplugged the lead i can
leave at normal setting of 5. Since everything else is working ok has
anyone else experienced this problem or got any ideas.

Many thanks

Andy

You tried an email to them?

http://www.tigertronics.com/tech.htm

Regards,
JS
Old January 5th 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Jan 5, 5:25*pm, John Smith wrote:
Andiroo wrote:
All

I have managed to get my signalink box working very well with the
706MkIIG but have found that it causes a weird side effect in that
when
the cable is plugged in the back of the rig it heavily attenuates my
voice so that people struggle to hear me when i am speaking on the
mic.
To be heard i need to turn up AGC to 10. When unplugged the lead i can
leave at normal setting of 5. Since everything else is working ok has
anyone else experienced this problem or got any ideas.

Many thanks

Andy

You tried an email to them?

http://www.tigertronics.com/tech.htm

Regards,
JS- Hide quoted text -

Yup - sure have but no response yet so tried asking here - this
message board in 99 out of 100 times finds me an answer to the lastest
of my ongoing radio problems. Why is it that the life of the radio
amateur is going from one technical problem to the next? I guess its
because we get easily bored and have to fiddle or add new kit. Still
keeps me out of trouble.

Andy

Old January 6th 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Andiroo wrote:
All

I have managed to get my signalink box working very well with the
706MkIIG but have found that it causes a weird side effect in that
when
the cable is plugged in the back of the rig it heavily attenuates my
voice so that people struggle to hear me when i am speaking on the
mic.
To be heard i need to turn up AGC to 10. When unplugged the lead i can
leave at normal setting of 5. Since everything else is working ok has
anyone else experienced this problem or got any ideas.

Many thanks

Andy

Andy,
It sounds like attaching the signallink box double terminates the
microphone. I don't know if there is a way to adjust the output
impedance on the signalink box, but you might try raising it. That
means that you will also probably have to raise its output level as
well. I have one of the signalink boxes on order and will let you know
how I interfaced it to my 706 when I get it.

Erich, N6FD
Old January 6th 08, 10:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Andiroo" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, Andy.

Ed, NM2K

Old January 6th 08, 02:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Andy,

I also have a SignaLink USB, and find it works well with my Yaesu.
However, compared with 3 other sound card or external units I have
used, it seems to have a much lower impedance. The result is that it
loads down both the input and output. Obviously, how much depends on
your rig, and where you are connecting it.

I have an external switching box which I built up to allow the use of
some other devices with the rig, which of course includes an OFF
position. In your case, probably something as simple as a double pole
toggle switch built into a small box would work. It wouldn't hurt to
switch both the RX and TX audio.

--
Alan
WA4SCA
Old January 12th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Jan 5, 4:00*am, Andiroo wrote:
All

I have managed to get my signalink box working very well with the
706MkIIG but have found that it causes a weird side effect in that
when
the cable is plugged in the back of the rig it heavily attenuates my
voice so that people struggle to hear me when i am speaking on the
mic.
To be heard i need to turn up AGC to 10. When unplugged the lead i can
leave at normal setting of 5. Since everything else is working ok has
anyone else experienced this problem or got any ideas.

Many thanks

Andy

are you wired to the mike jack on the rear....dont..manual states do
NOT run both .

if you are wired into the 13 pin acc plug, double check your wiring..

fs ICOM IC-706 MKIIG [email protected] Swap 0 July 10th 07 05:35 PM
FS: ICOM IC 706 MKIIG W9CAR General 5 September 22nd 05 03:26 AM
FS: ICOM IC 706 MKIIG W9CAR Equipment 0 September 19th 05 01:02 AM
ICOM 706 MKIIG [email protected] Equipment 0 May 31st 05 05:55 AM
60 mod for Icom 706 MkIIG Mark Keith Equipment 5 July 7th 03 10:20 AM