Old May 24th 10, 06:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default new question (from "system degradation question")

I'll be using 100 watts SSB/CW, and have about 75' of twinlead up to
antnenna feedpoint.

You've got me going to do the "system degradation question": I'll run
twinlead to the shack, in spite of the file cabinet.

Now, yes--I can do just fine manually changing my antenna from ladderline
fed to putting it on 160 by jumping both ends together and letting it work
against ground. Long counterpoise in place. Then, putting it back as
twinlead dipole on 80m up.

What's the new question? I normally would go from 160m up through 15m.
If I just used the jump both ends together and feed long wire, which ant
will be better?

Basically, it's whether a long hat vertical would be as good as using my
twinlead as dipole on bands including 80m and up.

I can certainly keep the antenna twinlead fed dipole, no problem. Just
curious.

Old May 24th 10, 06:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On May 24, 12:02*am, "rb" wrote:
[...]

On most bands it will operate the best fed normally as a dipole.

Old May 24th 10, 08:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Just use the dipole as is on 160. I had basically the same setup with 63
foot legs on
an inverted vee and worked plenty of 160 stations. Try it -- if you don't
find it
satisfactory, then you can always try something else. System degradation is
usually
far less than theory would have it.

Irv VE6BP

Old May 29th 10, 12:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message
,
writes
On May 24, 12:02*am, "rb" wrote:
[...]

Probably, but the real answer is that the performance will be different.
You'll need to try it out. The T-feed might actually be quite good on
the lower frequencies - especially 80m - for long-distance contacts. But
you will need a good ground or counterpoise system. Ideally, your
counterpoise should be around a quarterwave (for all the bands where you
use the antenna as a T), so, if it looks promising, you might like to
try multiple wires.

The main problem with any endfed antenna, when fed directly in the
shack, is that you will have a lot of RF in the shack - and you will
also pick up more 'domestic' QRM and hash, usually from things like
switchmode power supplies and all the other 'non-amateur-friendly'
equipment deemed essential for modern-day living.
--
Ian