Old October 15th 03, 11:28 AM
Paul Burridge

Default Ringing on square wave: how to eliminate?

Hi chaps,

Heading sums it up. I'm using a 74HC04 to 'square-off' a sine wave,
but it's causing a fair amount of ringing on the output signal's highs
and lows which appears to be finding its way through to the eventual
final stage. How do I best eliminate (or at least drastically reduce)
this nuisance? The square wave frequency is 8Mhz., btw.

Thanks,

p.
--

"Windows [n.], A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch
to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit
Old October 15th 03, 11:46 AM
mike

Paul Burridge wrote:
Hi chaps,

Heading sums it up. I'm using a 74HC04 to 'square-off' a sine wave,
but it's causing a fair amount of ringing on the output signal's highs
and lows which appears to be finding its way through to the eventual
final stage. How do I best eliminate (or at least drastically reduce)
this nuisance? The square wave frequency is 8Mhz., btw.

Thanks,

p.

If you put a low inductance termination resistance right at the pin with
no wire and a low inductance bypass cap at the power supply and properly
introduce the signal to a scope, is the ringing still there? If it
ain't, the chip ain't causing it. Does the output ring with a square
wave input? Ringing is often more about the
interconnect than the chip...often...not always...
Oscillation, which can look like ringing is often about the input drive
for low dv/dt inputs.
Observed ringing, as opposed to Actual ringing can also be all about
measurement technique.

Can you be more numerical about "fair amount"? Amplitude and frequency
of the ring? Getting rid depends on how much you got and how much you
can stand and what you're driving.
mike

laptops and parts Test Equipment
4in/400Wout ham linear amp.
Honda CB-125S
400cc Dirt Bike 2003 miles $550
Police Scanner, Color LCD overhead projector
Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser

Old October 15th 03, 11:47 AM
Don Pearce

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:28:06 +0100, Paul Burridge
wrote:

Hi chaps,

Heading sums it up. I'm using a 74HC04 to 'square-off' a sine wave,
but it's causing a fair amount of ringing on the output signal's highs
and lows which appears to be finding its way through to the eventual
final stage. How do I best eliminate (or at least drastically reduce)
this nuisance? The square wave frequency is 8Mhz., btw.

Thanks,

p.

Layout, layout and layout.

Decouplers close to chips, short ground leads. Also be quite certain
that the ringing is really there. Ditch the ground lead from the scope
probe and make a very short one by wrapping stiff wire round the earth
ring at the end of the probe and leaving a piece as long as the probe
tip sticking out. Get up close to the chip signal and ground pins and
see if the ringing is gone.

_____________________________

http://www.pearce.uk.com

Old October 15th 03, 01:34 PM
Paul Burridge

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:47:40 +0100, Don Pearce
wrote:

Layout, layout and layout.

Decouplers close to chips, short ground leads. Also be quite certain
that the ringing is really there. Ditch the ground lead from the scope
probe and make a very short one by wrapping stiff wire round the earth
ring at the end of the probe and leaving a piece as long as the probe
tip sticking out. Get up close to the chip signal and ground pins and
see if the ringing is gone.

Thanks Don. I'll try that suggestion. I've read Mike's reply but I
think he's pretty much saying the same thing as you.
I've ended up with a decoupling cap that straddles diagonally over the
top of the IC. For some reason, on this chip, the supply and gnd pins
are on opposite corners, which is a nuisance, so the cap's leads are
longer than I'd have liked. I suppose this sort of situation doesn't
help?

Old October 15th 03, 02:11 PM
Frank Buss

Paul Burridge wrote:

I've ended up with a decoupling cap that straddles diagonally over the
top of the IC. For some reason, on this chip, the supply and gnd pins
are on opposite corners, which is a nuisance, so the cap's leads are
longer than I'd have liked. I suppose this sort of situation doesn't
help?

There are socket with integrated caps:

http://www.mill-max.com/images/products/pdf/021.pdf

--
Frank Buß,

Old October 15th 03, 02:38 PM
Boris Mohar

wrote:

Layout, layout and layout.

Decouplers close to chips, short ground leads. Also be quite certain
that the ringing is really there. Ditch the ground lead from the scope
probe and make a very short one by wrapping stiff wire round the earth
ring at the end of the probe and leaving a piece as long as the probe
tip sticking out. Get up close to the chip signal and ground pins and
see if the ringing is gone.

Thanks Don. I'll try that suggestion. I've read Mike's reply but I
think he's pretty much saying the same thing as you.
I've ended up with a decoupling cap that straddles diagonally over the
top of the IC. For some reason, on this chip, the supply and gnd pins
are on opposite corners, which is a nuisance, so the cap's leads are
longer than I'd have liked. I suppose this sort of situation doesn't
help?

I was once called down to the production testing by a newly hired tech with a
similar complaint of excessive ringing. Turned out that the scope was grounded
to the circuit by a separate banana lead. The scope probe ground was removed
"because it was is not convenient" although there were plenty of local ground
point provided on the board. There was some residual ringing in his ears
afterwards.

--

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs http://www3.sympatico.ca/borism/
Aurora, Ontario

FS: Boonton Measurements Model 72 Square Wave Generator Ade Weiss Boatanchors 0 November 7th 04 04:43 AM
FS: Boonton Measurements Model 72 Square Wave Generator Ade Weiss Boatanchors 0 November 7th 04 04:43 AM
Question on antenna symantics Jimmy Antenna 28 January 27th 04 02:10 AM
vertical dipole? Desmoface Antenna 25 January 16th 04 01:20 AM
Smith Chart Quiz Radio913 Antenna 315 October 21st 03 05:31 AM