Old July 22nd 03, 06:38 PM
Yuri Blanarovich

I thought they ate the RF without passing any to our precious environment.

That was cheeque in tongue.

Enough! Bye!

Old July 22nd 03, 08:12 PM
Reg Edwards

Transmission lines with high SWR are amongst the most useful of radio
components. We couldn't do without them.

Old July 22nd 03, 09:09 PM
Dave Shrader

Yuri, I'm pulling your leg a little bit, but just a little bit.

Hot resistors radiate EM energy in the IR region of the spectrum grin.

DD, W1MCE

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:

Oh Yuri!! All resistors in any circuit radiate EM energy!

DD, W1MCE

...and cause SWR. Can you picture little, unmatched radiating resistor in the
circuit? Live and learn eh?
I thought they ate the RF without passing any to our precious environment. What
me dummy!
But I think we should start new thread or threat on how much resistor,
capacitor or asamatteroffact anything radiates, how the SWR affects this
un/desired property, what the photons and black holes do about it and how to
magnify this effect so we can beat the record on number of postings.
Back to my no SWR feedlines.

Bada Fun BUm

Old July 22nd 03, 09:10 PM
Dave Shrader

Cecil, you are sharp!!

DD

W5DXP wrote:

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:

Oh Yuri!! All resistors in any circuit radiate EM energy!

...and cause SWR. Can you picture little, unmatched radiating resistor
in the
circuit? Live and learn eh? I thought they ate the RF without passing
any to our precious environment.

They do eat RF without passing more than a negligible amount to our
environment. But they also convert the energy from RF energy to radiated
heat which is just as much of an EM wave as the RF wave was. The old
RF wave is destroyed but since the energy in that RF wave cannot be
destroyed, it must be converted. In this case it is converted to
an infrared wavelength.

The way to keep a resistor from radiating heat is to enclose it in
a heat sink in which case the heat sink probably radiates heat as
well as conducts heat.

Old July 22nd 03, 09:45 PM
W5DXP

Dave Shrader wrote:
Cecil, you are sharp!!

:-) Why do you think I draw so much flak? :-) I agree with Albert.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
"One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured

Old July 23rd 03, 07:55 PM
W5DXP

Jim Kelley wrote:
If, as Jim says, an RF wave is not destroyed by being dissipated
in a resistor dummy load, it has to radiate - yes? no?

It should have been fairly obvious to most that's NOT what I was
saying.

You said "Waves cannot be destroyed". I quoted Hecht saying that waves
can be created and destroyed. Please tell us again that, "RF waves
are not destroyed by a dummy load." When you come to understand that
EM waves can be destroyed but the energy in those waves cannot be
destroyed you will begin to understand EM physics.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old July 23rd 03, 08:23 PM
Jim Kelley

W5DXP wrote:
You said "Waves cannot be destroyed".

A google seach says you're wrong. The only hits for 'cannot be
destroyed'
are by an author named Cecil Moore.

jk
Old July 23rd 03, 09:44 PM
W5DXP

Jim Kelley wrote:

W5DXP wrote:

You said "Waves cannot be destroyed".

A google seach says you're wrong. The only hits for 'cannot be
destroyed' are by an author named Cecil Moore.

Try "cease to exist". Here's what you said. Read it and weep.

Waves cannot just "cease to exist" for the very same reason that
energy cannot cease to exist.

"Ceasing to exist" and "being destroyed" are identical events. Waves
that are destroyed cease to exist. Waves that cease to exist must,
of necessity, be destroyed. So where did you learn your ethics? At
the rattlesnake farm?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old July 29th 03, 05:28 PM
JDer8745

No it doesn't need to be matched to the line!

They often aren't.

Jack K9CUN

lining up microwave antenna's Antenna 19 July 16th 03 05:40 PM
Flagpole antennas box90d Antenna 2 July 14th 03 10:17 PM
HF Mobile Antenna Comparisons H. Adam Stevens Antenna 2 July 10th 03 09:31 AM