Old November 14th 04, 01:53 PM
Steve

Default Icom R-75 question

I was recently on Icom's website and noticed that they describe the
frequency range of the R-75 this way:

Coverage: 0.03 - 60 MHz (0.1-29.99 and 50-54 MHz guaranteed)

I'm not on the market for a receiver, but if I were considering the
purchase of an R-75, their parenthetical disclaimer would make me
nervous.

Judging from what I've read elsewhere, the R-75 really does cover 0.03
- 60 mhz; but then, why does Icom only 'guarantee' more limited
frequency coverage?

Steve
Old November 14th 04, 02:06 PM
Volker Tonn

Steve schrieb:

Judging from what I've read elsewhere, the R-75 really does cover 0.03
- 60 mhz; but then, why does Icom only 'guarantee' more limited
frequency coverage?

They do not guarantee the specs -especially on sensitivity- outside the
given ranges.

Old November 14th 04, 02:35 PM
Lucky

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
I was recently on Icom's website and noticed that they describe the
frequency range of the R-75 this way:

Coverage: 0.03 - 60 MHz (0.1-29.99 and 50-54 MHz guaranteed)

I'm not on the market for a receiver, but if I were considering the
purchase of an R-75, their parenthetical disclaimer would make me
nervous.

Judging from what I've read elsewhere, the R-75 really does cover 0.03
- 60 mhz; but then, why does Icom only 'guarantee' more limited
frequency coverage?

Steve

I questioned that too but mine does .030 to 60Mhz Maybe foreign models
outside the US are limited??

Lucky

Old November 14th 04, 02:44 PM
dxAce

Lucky wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
I was recently on Icom's website and noticed that they describe the
frequency range of the R-75 this way:

Coverage: 0.03 - 60 MHz (0.1-29.99 and 50-54 MHz guaranteed)

I'm not on the market for a receiver, but if I were considering the
purchase of an R-75, their parenthetical disclaimer would make me
nervous.

Judging from what I've read elsewhere, the R-75 really does cover 0.03
- 60 mhz; but then, why does Icom only 'guarantee' more limited
frequency coverage?

Steve

I questioned that too but mine does .030 to 60Mhz Maybe foreign models
outside the US are limited??

No, as Volker stated, the specs are only 'guaranteed' within the specified
ranges.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old November 14th 04, 02:54 PM
uncle arnie

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 06:53 am, Steve posted to
rec.radio.shortwave: %MM

I was recently on Icom's website and noticed that they describe the
frequency range of the R-75 this way:

Coverage: 0.03 - 60 MHz (0.1-29.99 and 50-54 MHz guaranteed)

I'm not on the market for a receiver, but if I were considering the
purchase of an R-75, their parenthetical disclaimer would make me
nervous.

Judging from what I've read elsewhere, the R-75 really does cover 0.03
- 60 mhz; but then, why does Icom only 'guarantee' more limited
frequency coverage?

Steve

This a guarantee of reception per all of the abilities of the receiver. You
are correct that some models for some markets (I think Europe, New Zealand,
Australia and possibly Japan) have some frequencies missing. The situation
is apparently similar for people in the USA who cannot buy scanners with
some frequencies used for cellular phones, which you can other places.

Old November 14th 04, 02:54 PM
patgkz

Wouldn't make me nervous. We're not talking about a $3,000 radio
here...it's a five-hundred dollar box. The spec for sensitivity is only
guaranteed within the area where the RF input bandpass filtering is peaked,
I'm sure. If you need a radio sensitive and birdie-free from 30KHz to
100KHz, you could prbably spend a few more kilobucks and be much less
nervous.

om...

Old November 14th 04, 09:41 PM
Mark Zenier

In article ,
Steve wrote:
I was recently on Icom's website and noticed that they describe the
frequency range of the R-75 this way:

Coverage: 0.03 - 60 MHz (0.1-29.99 and 50-54 MHz guaranteed)

I'm not on the market for a receiver, but if I were considering the
purchase of an R-75, their parenthetical disclaimer would make me
nervous.

Judging from what I've read elsewhere, the R-75 really does cover 0.03
- 60 mhz; but then, why does Icom only 'guarantee' more limited
frequency coverage?

The real question is "Is there anything to listen to in the 30-60 MHz
range?".

Probably not. Although there are some cool uses of that frequency
range like meteor scatter packet radio, nobody much seems to want to
use it. Last I knew, the US Forest Service and some of the rural power
companies seemed to prefer it (land mobile FM) as it got out into the
boonies better. That, and cordless phones at 49 MHz.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Old November 15th 04, 08:22 PM
GrtPmpkin32

The real question is "Is there anything to listen to in the 30-60 MHz
range?".

Actually, depending on your region and the type of monitoring you enjoy, there
are a number of types of signals to be heard in this range if you're patient,
or just curious.
You could listen to the windows at just about any fast food place between 30
and 35 MHz... no, it's not exactly riveting stuff to be sure, but it's there.
Sometimes it's interesting to see how many people actually order McDonald's, or
Taco Bell, after 2 am, and what they eat at that time. Gives me an idea of why
many folks in my area are somewhat chubby.
Also, during Spring and Summer, when conditions are right, you can hear cabs in
NY, or Mexico, or Cincinnati for all I know... or dispatchers and units from
very un-local police and emergency services. This occupies the same space of 30
to about 35 MHz. I can recall many times over the last few years, during early
Spring and late Summer, hearing hours worth of police and EMS comm's from the
northeast (I'm in SW MO), when they were dealing with flooding rains in PA, CT,
OH and IN. It's very interesting DX... but no, it's not regular.
OF course, there is the 6 mtr amateur band, which doesn't get a lot of use in
my neck of the woods. Oh yeah, and cordless phones/intercoms/baby monitors in
the 48 to 50 MHz range.
I like to use my R75's 30 - 60 MHz range as an addendum to my base scanner,
when there is something going on in town, or when conditions are bringing in DX
in that range, and I can switch between the two receivers to catch whatever
short burst comm's are flying my way.
But again, if you're not into DXing/waiting, or fast food and intercoms, then
there isn't much to listen to on any regular basis.
Linus

Old November 15th 04, 08:36 PM
Stereophile22

The real question is "Is there anything to listen to in the 30-60 MHz
range?"

there used to be. Back in the early to mid 80's, my local police department was
somewhere in the 30-40 MHZ range.

There's still some stuff to hear in the 30 to 54 MHZ range.

Although that probably depends on your area.

At least here there is still some stuff transmitting there.