Old October 9th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Default Here is how we can end all the silly antenna questions on the repeaters and on usenet.

Slow Code wrote:

Could you pass all the tests again today, or would you have to study a
little first?

I could pass them all again, no study needed. And that goes for
written, Morse Code receiving and Morse Code sending.

Bring out any FCC amateur radio license test from Novice to Extra, from
any time since I first got my license in 1967, and I'll pass it. I'll
probably even be able to pass tests from long before I was licensed,
too.

Every so often I try an online practice exam, just to be sure. No
problem.

BUT

I don't see any reason to require routine retesting of hams who haven't
broken the rules. FCC trusts us to keep current - that's part of the
"conditions of grant".

FCC currently uses retesting as a sort of enforcement tool - if someone
acts like they don't know what the rules are, or if there is some doubt
as to whether a test session was on the up-and-up, FCC will sometimes
require a specific retest.

If you demand that all hams be retested, what you're telling FCC is
that we cannot be trusted to keep up with the rules. Is that a good
thing?

FCC doesn't require routine retesting of commercial licenses - why
should they require it of amateurs?

And once again: Are *you* willing to volunteer your time to help with
the restesting?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old October 9th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote in message
ups.com...
Slow Code wrote:

[...]

Very well stated, Jim. I particularly like the parts about the FCC's usage
of the "retest" and the paragraph on "trust".

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old October 9th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Dee Flint wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Slow Code wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Dee.

One more point:

The only nonrenewable amateur license the USA ever had was the old
Novice license. And it was only nonrenewable for about the first half
of its existence (1951 to 1975).

The reason the old Novice was nonrenewable back then is that it wasn't
meant to be a "permanent" license, but rather only a stepping stone to
a permanent license.

All the currently-available license classes are meant to be "permanent"
licenses - meaning they aren't only a stepping stone to a higher class.

Perhaps it could all be summed up in the old saying:

"Be careful what you ask for - you might get it!"

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old October 9th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

On 8 Oct 2006 17:50:34 -0700, wrote:

FCC doesn't require routine retesting of commercial licenses

Well ... they used to require actual use for renewal, but with the
change to "apply and ye shall get" lifetime licensing, you can get a
GRL and keep it till you die without ever using it.
Old October 9th 06, 03:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Slow Code, who gives a crap what you think about the code. If you
spread as much hatred on the ham bands as you do on the newsgroups
then I would never want talk to you on the air. I'll bet you are a
repeater jammer or jam people on hf all the time. Anybody that does
and says the things you do on here is sure to be a jerk on the air. No
doubt about it. And by the way I am top posting again. Post your call
for all to see or are you too ashamed to. Your name should be No Balls
instead of No Code. 10-4?

Old October 10th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

wrote in
ups.com:

Slow Code wrote:

[...]

Everything has been dumbed down, not just ham licenses. We can't have
skills anymore in america, everyone has to be equal. That's what happens
when liberals get to make & change policy. Too many liberals in
government.

SC
Old October 10th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Slow Code wrote:
wrote in
ups.com:

Slow Code wrote:

[...]

I don't think so.

We can't have
skills anymore in america, everyone has to be equal.

Where do you get that idea?

Equality of opportunity, yes. That's not the same thing as equality of
result.

That's what happens
when liberals get to make & change policy. Too many liberals in
government.

Either you don't know your history, or you've got some weird definition
of "liberal".

For example:

Were JFK and LBJ "liberals"? It was under their administrations that we
got the rules changes known as "incentive licensing".

Were Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush "liberals"? It was under their
administrations that we got:

- FCC exams replaced by VEC exams

- Openly published question pools

- End of Morse Code sending test

- General/Tech written test split in two parts so that Techs did not
have same written as Generals

- Medical waivers for 13 and 20 wpm code tests (Bush "asked" FCC for
this directly, as a favor to a King that was a ham)

- Technician lost its code test

Is George "Dubya" Bush a "liberal"? Under his administration, we got:

- FCC support for BPL

- ITU treaty changed to eliminate wording requiring code test.

- NPRM proposing complete elimination of code test

Now - are all those folks reducing the requirements "liberals"?

Old October 11th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

john wrote in
:

Hey Blow Code. You are such a proud amateur radio operator give us
your call sign so we can give you the proper reconition you deserve.

I serve the ham community with selfless determination to try to save its
members from their complacent attitudes. I need no recognition. I'm a
humble servant. I seek no glory.

God bless america

Amen

SC