Old December 3rd 15, 03:20 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default 60 / 40?

I wonder how many are still using the 60 / 40 (lead / tin or tin / lead?)
solder
despite the Common Market (or whatver they call themselves these days)
ruling
that lead free must be used to the exclusion of all else?

And how many are not using any solder at all because they are a variant
of CBers and not actually _REAL_ radio amateurs?

Old December 3rd 15, 04:19 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Jimbo in the Borders ..." wrote in message

"gareth" wrote in message
I wonder how many are still using the 60 / 40 (lead / tin or tin / lead?)
solder
despite the Common Market (or whatver they call themselves these days)
ruling
that lead free must be used to the exclusion of all else?

me me me ......

that must be why all modern DIGITAL stuff breaks down just out of
guarantee....so more crap into landfill.... stupid really because if it was
60/40 gluing it together it would still be working ....

Old December 3rd 15, 04:49 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Jimbo in the Borders ... wrote:
that must be why all modern DIGITAL stuff breaks down just out of
guarantee....so more crap into landfill.... stupid really because if it was
60/40 gluing it together it would still be working ....

Most failures in modern digital stuff are because of bad electrolytic
capacitors, mostly because of switchmode powersupplies that result
in large AC currents through the capacitors. Once the ESR goes up,
the caps heat up and dry out, causing the ESR to increase even more
and this causes the type of failure you often see: the device runs
fine until it is powercycled, then sometimes can work when it is left
to heat up for a few minutes.

This has nothing to do with the soldering.
Old December 3rd 15, 04:54 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Rob" wrote in message
Jimbo in the Borders ... wrote:
that must be why all modern DIGITAL stuff breaks down just out of
guarantee....so more crap into landfill.... stupid really because if it
was
60/40 gluing it together it would still be working ....

Most failures in modern digital stuff are because of bad electrolytic
capacitors, mostly because of switchmode powersupplies that result
in large AC currents through the capacitors. Once the ESR goes up,
the caps heat up and dry out, causing the ESR to increase even more
and this causes the type of failure you often see: the device runs
fine until it is powercycled, then sometimes can work when it is left
to heat up for a few minutes.

This has nothing to do with the soldering.

that is good to hear...just avoid mains powerd units then ...good

Old December 3rd 15, 05:00 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Jimbo in the Borders ... wrote:

"Rob" wrote in message
Jimbo in the Borders ... wrote:
that must be why all modern DIGITAL stuff breaks down just out of
guarantee....so more crap into landfill.... stupid really because if it
was
60/40 gluing it together it would still be working ....

Most failures in modern digital stuff are because of bad electrolytic
capacitors, mostly because of switchmode powersupplies that result
in large AC currents through the capacitors. Once the ESR goes up,
the caps heat up and dry out, causing the ESR to increase even more
and this causes the type of failure you often see: the device runs
fine until it is powercycled, then sometimes can work when it is left
to heat up for a few minutes.

This has nothing to do with the soldering.

that is good to hear...just avoid mains powerd units then ...good

A well designed battery operated unit has a switchmode regulator as
well (or else it would require a Batteriser...), and those wall warts
today are switchmode supplies as well.
Old December 3rd 15, 05:05 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Rob" wrote in message
Jimbo in the Borders ... wrote:

"Rob" wrote in message
Jimbo in the Borders ... wrote:
[...]

tell me something Some "Expert" was on the radio saying that phone
chargers should be unplugged as they use power even when not in use ...fair
enough I thought if they have a transformer but I thought those lightweight
switchmode units didn't draw any powe until the phone was plugged in? ...

Old December 3rd 15, 05:08 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Jimbo in the Borders ... wrote:

"Rob" wrote in message
Jimbo in the Borders ... wrote:

"Rob" wrote in message
Jimbo in the Borders ... wrote:
[...]

That is right. I think they are required to draw less than a watt when
nothing is plugged in. This is only possible with a switchmode design.

However, I have seen several of those things fail, often in a somewhat
explosive way (case blown open or apart, nasty smell). Never a fire,
though.
Old December 3rd 15, 05:10 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Rob" wrote in message
Jimbo in the Borders ... wrote:

"Rob" wrote in message
Jimbo in the Borders ... wrote:

"Rob" wrote in message
Jimbo in the Borders ... wrote:
[...]

I had a cheap chinky jonker go that way.....

Old December 3rd 15, 06:06 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 03/12/2015 15:20, gareth wrote:
I wonder how many are still using the 60 / 40 (lead / tin or tin / lead?)
solder
despite the Common Market (or whatver they call themselves these days)
ruling
that lead free must be used to the exclusion of all else?

And how many are not using any solder at all because they are a variant
of CBers and not actually _REAL_ radio amateurs?

Wrong again Gareth!!

tin lead solder is not banned "to the exclusion of all else".
It is still allowed in biomedical, military and some avionics equipment
and for the repair of items that were built with tin/lead. It is still
easy to purchase 60/40.

Jeff