Old December 3rd 15, 07:24 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default 60 / 40?

Jeff wrote:
On 03/12/2015 15:20, gareth wrote:
I wonder how many are still using the 60 / 40 (lead / tin or tin / lead?)
solder
despite the Common Market (or whatver they call themselves these days)
ruling
that lead free must be used to the exclusion of all else?

And how many are not using any solder at all because they are a variant
of CBers and not actually _REAL_ radio amateurs?

Wrong again Gareth!!

tin lead solder is not banned "to the exclusion of all else".
It is still allowed in biomedical, military and some avionics equipment
and for the repair of items that were built with tin/lead. It is still
easy to purchase 60/40.

Jeff

He just wanted to admit he doesn't use solder. Well, other than the
'vapourware' type.

;-)

Old December 3rd 15, 08:20 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
On 03/12/2015 15:20, gareth wrote:
I wonder how many are still using the 60 / 40 (lead / tin or tin /
lead?)
solder
despite the Common Market (or whatver they call themselves these days)
ruling
that lead free must be used to the exclusion of all else?

And how many are not using any solder at all because they are a variant
of CBers and not actually _REAL_ radio amateurs?

He just wanted to admit he doesn't use solder. Well, other than the
'vapourware' type.

It continues to be you who originates abusive remarks on a daily basis.

Why do you always behave in such a negative, anti-social and dysfunctional
manner?

Old December 4th 15, 04:13 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 03/12/15 18:06, Jeff wrote:
On 03/12/2015 15:20, gareth wrote:
I wonder how many are still using the 60 / 40 (lead / tin or tin / lead?)
solder
despite the Common Market (or whatver they call themselves these days)
ruling
that lead free must be used to the exclusion of all else?

And how many are not using any solder at all because they are a variant
of CBers and not actually _REAL_ radio amateurs?

Wrong again Gareth!!

tin lead solder is not banned "to the exclusion of all else".
It is still allowed in biomedical, military and some avionics equipment
and for the repair of items that were built with tin/lead. It is still
easy to purchase 60/40.

Jeff

=========================
Agree , I still happily use 60/40 resin core solder and recently
stocked-up . Lead free solder is a pain.

Frank , GM0CSZ / KN6WH in IO87AT
Old December 4th 15, 05:26 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015, highlandham wrote:

On 03/12/15 18:06, Jeff wrote:
[...]

I thought 63/37 was better.

I once got a good deal on that mix, nice and thin too, and it lasted a
long time. Fewer places to get electronic solder now, the replacement roll
cost more and was too thick, and 60/40.

Michael

Old December 4th 15, 05:36 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Michael Black" wrote in message
news:alpine.LNX.2.02.1512041125060.14755@darkstar. example.org...

I thought 63/37 was better.

I once got a good deal on that mix, nice and thin too, and it lasted a
long time. Fewer places to get electronic solder now, the replacement roll
cost more and was too thick, and 60/40.

The 63/37 may be slightly beter than the 60/40. The reason is that the
63/37 is beter is that it does not go through the 'plastic' state when
cooling off. It goes directly from a liquid to a solid. I think it has the
lowest melting point of any of the mixes.

I don't use very much of the larger solder as I have switched to crimp
conectors for much of the coax and power wires. Bought a couple of rolls of
the very small stuff at hamfests over the years for not too much. If I see
a bargain , I still get a roll .

Old December 5th 15, 12:34 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 03/12/15 18:06, Jeff wrote:
[...]

63/37 is better but the difference is very slight. In the "old days"
they used 50/50 and even 40/60.

--
Jim Mueller

To get my real email address, replace wrongname with dadoheadman.
Then replace nospam with fastmail. Lastly, replace com with us.
Old December 5th 15, 04:55 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 03/12/15 18:06, Jeff wrote:
[...]

The stuff I had was nice and thin, which probably mattered more than the
actual mix.

I suddenly remember buying some solder, I can't remember why or where but
I suspect I got a good price, and then it turned out to be the wrong mix.
It was awful, so maybe it was 50/50. It wasn't acid core, just hard to
use, if I recall properly.

At a garage sale a few years ago, I found a small roll of "IBM Brand"
solder, I assume it was made by someone else and IBM put their brand on
it. Too thick to be useful, it was a good mix though.

Michael

Old December 5th 15, 02:39 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

news:alpine.LNX.2.02.1512042253160.15794@darkstar. example.org...
On 03/12/15 18:06, Jeff wrote:
[...]

My first soldering iron was a poker in a coal fire. Can't remember where I
got solder from, the local TV repair shop probably.
--
;-)
..

Old December 5th 15, 03:16 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In message , FranK Turner-Smith G3VKI
writes
On 03/12/15 18:06, Jeff wrote:
[...]

Same here.

However, some visiting family friends (staying with us for a holiday)
took pity on me, and bought me a small 'heat in the fire' iron (plus a
tin of Little Imp soldering paste) at Woolworths, in Berwick. I remember
the occasion well - even though it was 1959.

Can't remember where I got solder from, the local TV repair shop
probably.

I think my dad some (1/4" bar stuff).
--
Ian
Old December 5th 15, 04:10 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Michael Black" wrote in message
news:alpine.LNX.2.02.1512042253160.15794@darkstar. example.org...
At a garage sale a few years ago, I found a small roll of "IBM Brand"
solder, I assume it was made by someone else and IBM put their brand on
it. Too thick to be useful, it was a good mix though.

Keep your eyes out for some of the best solder ever made. It is Western
Electric Nassau solder. Almost worth its weight in gold. Just ask anyone
that is big in the audio field.

It goes along with the oxygen free teflon insulated wire that goes from the
hifi to the wall socket.