Old November 30th 03, 01:13 AM
Jerry Bransford

Default Upgrading to from Tech Plus to General, help on a FCC Form 605 question please

Dang, things just can't be simple any more.

On the 605 Application Main Form, what Code do I use for Block 2 which is
the Application Purpose for my upcoming upgrade from Tech (Plus) to General?
Even the ARRL site doesn't mention what code to insert.

I'm not even 100% sure it's a 605 I use for a license class upgrade, it
looks like it is the right one to use though. The directions cover
everything but a simple upgrade of license class.

I think I have the rest of it figured out. Thanks & 73!

Jerry
--
Jerry Bransford
To email, remove 'me' from my email address

Old November 30th 03, 01:31 AM
Radioman

Jerry Bransford wrote:

Dang, things just can't be simple any more.

On the 605 Application Main Form, what Code do I use for Block 2 which is
the Application Purpose for my upcoming upgrade from Tech (Plus) to General?
Even the ARRL site doesn't mention what code to insert.

I'm not even 100% sure it's a 605 I use for a license class upgrade, it
looks like it is the right one to use though. The directions cover
everything but a simple upgrade of license class.

I think I have the rest of it figured out. Thanks & 73!

Jerry
--
Jerry Bransford
To email, remove 'me' from my email address
KC6TAY, PP-ASEL
See the Geezer Jeep at
http://members.cox.net/jerrypb/

Hey, Jerry, how's the Jeep? Any tricks to loosen the fan belt adjuster pulley?

I think you need form 610.
Old November 30th 03, 01:38 AM
Jerry Bransford

Jerry Bransford wrote:

[...]

Heh, you're gonna let me have to figure out who you are eh?

Well yeah, I thought it was was the 610 Form too but apparently that's not
the case any more. According to the ARRL at
http://www.arrl.org/fcc/forms.html I now use the 605 form. It says "Form
605 -- used for new license applications and upgrades, license renewals and
address, name and systematic call sign changes."

It's more confusing now if that's possible, at least to me. So who are you
on the forum?

Jerry

Old November 30th 03, 02:00 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Jerry Bransford" wrote in message
Jerry Bransford wrote:

[...]

You have to process any upgrades through a VE team. So go to a VE exam
session and they will have the proper forms. They will show you what part
you have to fill out and they will fill out the appropriate upgrade
information and the team will sign it off and send it in. So you don't even
need to worry about what form to use.

If you are a pre-1987 Tech (sometime in April of 1987 is the cutoff date),
you just have to do a paper upgrade. But it still has to be processed
through the VE team. Otherwise you will still have to take the General
written test. Either way, you've got to go through the VEs. You cannot
submit an upgrade directly to the FCC.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old November 30th 03, 02:05 AM
Jerry Bransford

Thank you Dee, that confirms what I figured out just a few minutes ago. I
use the NCVEC Quick-Form 605 Application which takes care of everything and
turn it into the VEC team the day of my test. Thanks for the help.

Jerry
--
Jerry Bransford
To email, remove 'me' from my email address
KC6TAY, PP-ASEL
See the Geezer Jeep at
http://members.cox.net/jerrypb/

gy.com...

Old December 1st 03, 01:13 AM
D. Stussy

Jerry Bransford wrote:

[...]

March 21, 1987 was the date that the test changed and was split into 3A and 3B.
If you can prove that you took your test before that date, OR that your license
was processed before July 15, 1987 (that's the date that the first post-change
licenses were processed), then present your proof.

What astonishes me is that there are still people who are just getting around to
their "paper"/"no-test" upgrades now, 3.5 years AFTER the rules change. In
yesterday's session that I participated in, we had two such people.
Old December 1st 03, 02:37 AM
Bill Newkirk

the VECs have their own "605" that's simpler and more like the old 610 that
was in place just before the forms consolidation.