Old June 25th 03, 04:27 PM
thomas

Default License for 2-way radio supporting both GMRS/FRS???

I just bought a 2-way radio that supports both GMRS and FRS:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000093IK8

I actually have no plan to use the GMRS channels at all. My question is: If
I only use FRS, do I still need to apply for a license?

When I placed the order, I was told: "GMRS channels require FCC license. ".
I assume this means FRS channels do not require FCC license, unless the
Amazon.com description is misleading.

Please help me with this issue so that I can start to use my radio!

Thanks!
Thomas

Old June 25th 03, 04:45 PM
AMHAM73

The FCC page at URL:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/personal/family/
Will answer your questions
Better to get it from the Horse's mouth rather than any guesses you may
receive.

Although you "actually have no plan to use the GMRS channels at all". Why
not get the license and make full use of your radio ??? Comes the day you
may want or need it.

"thomas" wrote in message
I just bought a 2-way radio that supports both GMRS and FRS:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000093IK8

I actually have no plan to use the GMRS channels at all. My question is:

If
I only use FRS, do I still need to apply for a license?

When I placed the order, I was told: "GMRS channels require FCC license.

".

Old June 25th 03, 07:34 PM
thomas

Thank you!

I read the official FCC text carefully. But I'm now even more confused:

"If you operate a radio that has been approved exclusively under the rules
that apply to FRS, you are not required to have a license. FRS radios have a
maximum power of ? watt (500 milliwatt) effective radiated power and
integral (non-detachable) antennas. If you operate a radio under the rules
that apply to GMRS, you must have a GMRS license. GMRS radios generally
transmit at higher power levels (1 to 5 watts is typical) and may have
detachable antennas."

If my radio has been approved under both FRS and GMRS, the text above
**seems** to suggest that I may need a license. Can you or someone
clarifies for me?

The only reason I don't want to use GMRS is the license fee. The radio is
very cheap even with GMRS support.

Thomas

Old June 26th 03, 01:51 AM
Daniel Martin

If you operate a radio under the rules
that apply to GMRS, you must have a GMRS license

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, you better get a duck license.

Old June 26th 03, 02:16 AM
stewart

"thomas" wrote in message ...
[...]

Look - the GMRS feature on these radios is a USELESS GIMMICK. Forget
about using those frequencies or getting a license for them.

Old June 26th 03, 02:25 AM
G. M. Alf

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:34:10 -0400, "thomas"
wrote:

[...]

On FRS channels 8 - 14 the radio IS an FRS radio. You do not need a
license to operate it on those channels.

Mike

Old June 26th 03, 03:05 AM
thomas

The spec of my radio says: 1. "Output Power 500mW Conducted" 2. Antenna is
non-detachable.

These conflicts with the FCC text:

GMRS radios generally transmit at higher power levels
(1 to 5 watts is typical) and may have detachable antennas.

Also how can you interpret the verb "operate" in the FCC text? Doesn't the
using of this word mean I can own but not operate?

If you operate a radio under the rules that apply to GMRS

You tried to divide the fee evenly. Actually I only use the radio several
times a year. The per-use cost is high, as least for me.

Thomas

"Phil Kane" wrote in message
om...
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:34:10 -0400, thomas wrote:

I read the official FCC text carefully. But I'm now even more confused:

"If you operate a radio that has been approved exclusively under the

rules
that apply to FRS, you are not required to have a license. FRS radios

have a
maximum power of ? watt (500 milliwatt) effective radiated power and
integral (non-detachable) antennas. If you operate a radio under the

rules
that apply to GMRS, you must have a GMRS license. GMRS radios generally
transmit at higher power levels (1 to 5 watts is typical) and may have
detachable antennas."

If my radio has been approved under both FRS and GMRS, the text above
**seems** to suggest that I may need a license. Can you or someone
clarifies for me?

If it operates exclusively on the 14 FRS channels and is type certified
as an FRS-only radio you do not need a license.

If it operates on more than the 14 FRS channels (which are shared
with the GMRS) it is not a FRS radio and you do need a GMRS license
even if you operate it only on the FRS channels.

It's that simple.

&75 for a five year license = $15 per year, $1.25 per month, less
than one large soft drink at the fast food place per month.

Small Change.

--
73 de K2ASP/KAE9605 - Phil Kane
Communications Attorney

Old June 26th 03, 04:14 PM
Steve Robeson, K4CAP

"thomas" wrote in message ...
Thank you!

I read the official FCC text carefully. But I'm now even more confused:

"If you operate a radio that has been approved exclusively under the rules
that apply to FRS, you are not required to have a license. FRS radios have a
maximum power of ? watt (500 milliwatt) effective radiated power and
integral (non-detachable) antennas. If you operate a radio under the rules
that apply to GMRS, you must have a GMRS license. GMRS radios generally
transmit at higher power levels (1 to 5 watts is typical) and may have
detachable antennas."

The "FRS" channels were interstitial frequencies of the GMRS in
the first place. That's why GMRS can still use them.

Only a radio specifically designed for FRS applications may be
used license free. Any other radio is GMRS and must be licensed.

If my radio has been approved under both FRS and GMRS, the text above
**seems** to suggest that I may need a license. Can you or someone
clarifies for me?

The only reason I don't want to use GMRS is the license fee. The radio is
very cheap even with GMRS support.

I agree with Phil...Pop for the GMRS license...One day you'll
need it and it will save your bacon...Or at least save you from an FCC
NAL!

73

Steve, K4CAP
Old June 26th 03, 06:35 PM
thomas

thank you for your information. I did write 24 hours ago and get no
response so far. Do I need to wait for 6 months or longer to get it if
ever, normally?

you are quite right -- if you have to pay the fee even though i don't use
it, i would rather throw the device into trash cans. after all they are
only $9.99 each, shipped!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000093IK8

thomas

"AMHAM73" wrote in message
Gee guys/gals -- he has so many OPINIONS that by now he is probably

really
confused. As I told him -- -- write the FCC and get an answer in written
form and carry it along with the radio. E-Mail:

It should be obvious the owner doesn't want to spring for the GMRS license
fee -- even though he should.

Old June 26th 03, 07:01 PM
Phil Stripling

"thomas" writes:

thank you for your information. I did write 24 hours ago and get no
response so far. Do I need to wait for 6 months or longer to get it if
ever, normally?

The only time I sent an email to the FCC, it took a couple of weeks to get
a reply.

http://www.PhilipStripling.com/ | civex.com is read daily.