Old August 30th 03, 04:26 AM
Samantha Williams

Default ATS 909 / DX-398: Need help opening case

Hi everyone, I reviewed the FAQ at
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze20h45/r...ml#disassemble

but am having a lot of trouble trying to get inside my
DX-398. I have removed the batteries, battery door, all
three control knobs, and all of the screws (one small screw
behind the antenna and 4 larger screws). The FAQ says to
apply pressure to the radio halves at the top and bottom. I
have been pressing as hard as I can, but no dice. What
direction should the pressure be in? Does anyone have any
hints to get the case released?

Thanks!

Old August 30th 03, 04:44 AM
Samantha Williams

tommyknocker wrote:

Samantha Williams wrote:

Hi everyone, I reviewed the FAQ at
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze20h45/r...ml#disassemble

but am having a lot of trouble trying to get inside my
DX-398. I have removed the batteries, battery door, all
three control knobs, and all of the screws (one small screw
behind the antenna and 4 larger screws). The FAQ says to
apply pressure to the radio halves at the top and bottom. I
have been pressing as hard as I can, but no dice. What
direction should the pressure be in? Does anyone have any
hints to get the case released?

Thanks!

I'm not intimately familiar with the 398, but could you have missed a
screw, like one in the battery compartment?

I don't think so, I looked carefully and think I have all of the screws out. .
A faq said that there are four larger screws and a smaller one behind the
antenna, which I have accounted for. .. .
http://members.aol.com/rickw999/398_909M.txt

It's the plastic tab system which holds the radio together that is causing me
trouble.

Old August 30th 03, 10:46 PM
AC Smith

Samantha Williams wrote in message ...

I'm not intimately familiar with the 398, but could you have missed a
screw, like one in the battery compartment?

I don't think so, I looked carefully and think I have all of the screws out. .
A faq said that there are four larger screws and a smaller one behind the
antenna, which I have accounted for. .. .
http://members.aol.com/rickw999/398_909M.txt

It's the plastic tab system which holds the radio together that is causing me
trouble.

Samantha,

I took the '398 apart back in 2001 and I remember the tabs really have
to be reefed on a little. I was suprised at how much wrangling I had
to do to get it apart, but gentle pressure in the right places might
help.

If it makes you feel any better, it goes together much easier!

acs
Old August 31st 03, 05:16 AM
Samantha Williams

AC Smith wrote:

Samantha Williams wrote in message ...

I'm not intimately familiar with the 398, but could you have missed a
screw, like one in the battery compartment?

I don't think so, I looked carefully and think I have all of the screws out. .
A faq said that there are four larger screws and a smaller one behind the
antenna, which I have accounted for. .. .
http://members.aol.com/rickw999/398_909M.txt

It's the plastic tab system which holds the radio together that is causing me
trouble.

Samantha,

I took the '398 apart back in 2001 and I remember the tabs really have
to be reefed on a little. I was suprised at how much wrangling I had
to do to get it apart, but gentle pressure in the right places might
help.

If it makes you feel any better, it goes together much easier!

Thanks! Do you remember where or what side you pressed on to unlock the tabs? So far, nothing
seems to give. I've tried pressing the top, sides, and bottom.

Old August 31st 03, 07:13 PM
RHF

SW,

If you have some very fine feeler gage 0.001" stock/matterial you may
try using it between the case halfs to ease the two pieces apart.

NOTE: Be sure the batteries are out of the radio.

FWIW: You may wish to post your question on the Radio Shack DX-398 /
Sangean ATS-909 eGroup at YAHOO! which is both "Moderated" and
"NON-Commercial".

~ RHF
..
..
= = = Samantha Williams

Old August 31st 03, 09:11 PM
CW

..001 is about the thickness of a rolling paper. I don't think that's going
to help.
"RHF" wrote in message
om...
SW,

If you have some very fine feeler gage 0.001" stock/matterial you may
try using it between the case halfs to ease the two pieces apart.

NOTE: Be sure the batteries are out of the radio.

FWIW: You may wish to post your question on the Radio Shack DX-398 /
Sangean ATS-909 eGroup at YAHOO! which is both "Moderated" and
"NON-Commercial".

~ RHF
.
.
= = = Samantha Williams

Old September 1st 03, 03:55 AM
RHF

(RHF) wrote in message . com...
SW,

If you have some very fine feeler gage 0.001" stock/matterial

CORRECTION (Typing Error) 0.010"
- - - Or may be 0.015"

pmtoe ~ RHF

you may try using it between the case halfs
to ease the two pieces apart.

NOTE: Be sure the batteries are out of the radio.

FWIW: You may wish to post your question on the Radio Shack DX-398 /
Sangean ATS-909 eGroup at YAHOO! which is both "Moderated" and
"NON-Commercial".

GoTo=
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DX398/

~ RHF
.
.
= = = Samantha Williams

Old September 1st 03, 06:00 AM
starman

AC Smith wrote:

[...]

It goes together so well I never reinstalled all the screws. Hasn't come
apart yet.