Old May 27th 04, 03:02 PM
JKJsysadm

Default Dial Cord springs source

I have a couple of rigs (NC-57) and I need a source for the dial cord springs.

Thanks for any help

Jim K0JKJ
Old May 28th 04, 01:17 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"JKJsysadm" wrote in message
I have a couple of rigs (NC-57) and I need a source for the dial cord

springs.

Thanks for any help

Jim K0JKJ

I have used the springs from a ball point pen before. But I am sure there
must be better suggestions out there.

Dan/W4NTI

Old May 28th 04, 03:31 AM
JKJsysadm

It was pointed out to me that the renound Bill Turner offers them on his web
site:
http://www.dialcover.com/home.html:

I was lucky enough to pick up a old broken LLoyds transistor clock radio that
had a usable spring for the snooze button. So now I only need one of the six I
order from Bill
Old May 28th 04, 03:19 PM
Frank Dresser

"JKJsysadm" wrote in message
I have a couple of rigs (NC-57) and I need a source for the dial cord

springs.

Thanks for any help

Jim K0JKJ

Hardware stores often have spring assortments. I saw some springs at the
local ACE hardware store which would be useable.

Salvage an old VCR or tape deck. They usually have several good springs.

Frank Dresser

Old May 28th 04, 08:48 PM
Uncle Peter

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"JKJsysadm" wrote in message
I have a couple of rigs (NC-57) and I need a source for the dial cord

springs.

Thanks for any help

Jim K0JKJ

Hardware stores often have spring assortments. I saw some springs at the
local ACE hardware store which would be useable.

Salvage an old VCR or tape deck. They usually have several good springs.

Frank Dresser

Yes, the local ACE hardware store will have assortments. Its easy to buy a
long expansion spring, and to cut sections from it. The end loops for
tieing
off the dial cord can be made by bending out the end loops on the spring
coils. Now, to find good round dial cord...

Pete

Old May 30th 04, 01:17 AM
exray

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

" Uncle Peter" wrote in message

off the dial cord can be made by bending out the end loops on the spring
coils. Now, to find good round dial cord...

Pete

Would you believe unwaxed Dental Floss ??

Dan/W4NTI

Pete, do you need some good dial cord? If so drop me a line.
BTW, Bill Turner has some nice dial springs.

-Bill M
Old May 30th 04, 01:28 AM
Frank Dresser

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
ink.net...

Would you believe unwaxed Dental Floss ??

Dan/W4NTI

I think dial cord is part of the current sale at Antique Electronics Supply.

Frank Dresser

Old May 30th 04, 02:42 PM
Uncle Peter

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
ink.net...

Would you believe unwaxed Dental Floss ??

Dan/W4NTI

I think dial cord is part of the current sale at Antique Electronics

Supply.

Frank Dresser

Lot's of folks are using woven fishing line, which will flatten on the
pulleys
and bind in some cases. I just did a vintage Crosley console that
defied any of the modern dial cords--they would bind (roll under the
pulley loops) when tuning in one direction. Finding good cord that
remains circular under tension is getting difficult.

Pete

Old May 30th 04, 03:15 PM
exray

Uncle Peter wrote:

Lot's of folks are using woven fishing line, which will flatten on the
pulleys
and bind in some cases. I just did a vintage Crosley console that
defied any of the modern dial cords--they would bind (roll under the
pulley loops) when tuning in one direction. Finding good cord that
remains circular under tension is getting difficult.

Pete

They're using the wrong type of fishing line then. Much of the "dial
cord" on the market these days is of such abysmal quality and suffers
exactly what you describe.
I've pretty much settled on dacron fishing line and save the crappy dial
cord for the sets where the tension is minimal. I even replaced the
bronze wire assembly on an old Philips set with the fishing line because
it kept breaking under such tension. The crappy AES cord was kinking up
just trying to get it out of the little plastic bag and straighten it
out. I hear they are selling a better quality cord nowadays, tho.
:-)

-Bill M
Old May 30th 04, 03:30 PM
Ray Collins

Take a piece of the old cord to your local shoe repair, their stuff
seems to be the right color and even stronger than the original.