Old September 16th 04, 07:46 AM
Chris

Default Antenna Advice

Hi All,

I have a JRC NRD 545 and im about to move house and im going to be
some what limited as to what antenna's i can put up at the new
property.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the following
antennna's and if anyone could help me decide what would be the best 1
to match with the 545.

I mainly listen to stuff between 3MHz & 21MHz.

Antenna 1: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3368.html
Antenna 2: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2868.html

Any help/advice appreciated.

TIA

Chris.
Old September 16th 04, 08:23 AM
Mark S. Holden

Chris wrote:
Hi All,

I have a JRC NRD 545 and im about to move house and im going to be
some what limited as to what antenna's i can put up at the new
property.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the following
antennna's and if anyone could help me decide what would be the best 1
to match with the 545.

I mainly listen to stuff between 3MHz & 21MHz.

Antenna 1: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3368.html
Antenna 2: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2868.html

Any help/advice appreciated.

TIA

Chris.

If I recall correctly, the RF systems active antennas were prone to
overload. I think I read this in "passport to world band radio"

Old September 16th 04, 01:56 PM
RHF

CHRIS,

Since you have the JRC NRD 545, the RF Systems MTA would
be my choice of the two listed.

RF Systems MTA Antenna @ $200
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3368.html
- Non-Amplified Vertical Receiving Antenna covering
500 kHz to 30 MHz.
- Designed for listeners who wish to monitor longwave,
medium wave and shortwave.
- MTA uses passive magnetic transfer technology to deliver
a good signal with low noise and complete immunity to
receiver overload from nearby transmitters.
- The MTA (Magnetic Transfer Antenna) receiving antenna
is a Seven Foot (7 Ft) antenna which is broadband in
performance, yet does not require an antenna tuner.

RF Systems DX-10 Professional Antenna @ $300
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2868.html
An Omni-Directional Active vertical receiving antenna
covering 35 kHz to 35 MHz. The DX-10 is 'only' 52 inches
(130 cm) high.

NOTE: With any of these antennas you are better off
getting the 'base' of the Antenna up high above your
Roof by at least 3-5 Feet. Or having the Antenna moved
completely away from the House by about 15 feet or more.

TIP: Consider using a single piece of Top Rail as an
Antenna Support for the RF Systems MTA Antenna. Put a
Ground Rod in the ground near the base of the Top Rail
and use a Ground Strap to connect the two together.
Mount the MTA at/near the top of the Top Rail.
* TOP RAIL as a "Free Standing" Antenna Support
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/201
* TOP RAIL - As an Antenna Support Structure
- Building Material
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...enna/message/3

ONE MORE READY-MADE ANTENNA OPTION:
Also take a look at the Wellbrook ALA-1530 Active Loop
Antenna for Long Wave, Medium Wve and Shortwave radio
reception.
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/ALA1530.html
* This unique broadband magnetic antenna is only 1m
diameter, rotatable and provides deep nulls to reject
noise and interference.
* The Active Loop Antenna is a compact antenna primarily
designed to reduce local interference. It is suited to
users with restricted real estate, by providing comparable
performance to conventional wire antennas.
* The Active Loop solves the problem of having to tune
the loop by using a broadband amplifier.
* The loop can be mounted remotely from the receiver
away from local interference, whereas traditional antennas
require a lot of space and can pick-up local noise.
* Wellbrook Loop Antenna - Information
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/881

HERE IS ANOTHER "DO-IT-YOURSELF" ANTENNA OPTION:

1. Buy a Sony AN-1 Active Antenna @ $100
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2206.html
Do not use stock Whip Antenna that comes with the AN-1.

2. Build a Ten Foot (10 Ft) Tri-Band "BroomStick" Antenna
without the Top-Hat feature.

3. Mount the Head-Unit of the Sony AN-1 at/near the top
of the a piece of Top Rail.

4. Mount the BroomStick Antenna at/near the top of the
a piece of Top Rail; opposite the Sony AN-1.

5. Connect the bottom wire (Output) of the BroomStick
Antenna to the Antenna (Input) Stud using Flat Washers
and a Nut. Tape and seal this connection.

6. Install a Ground Rod as described above.

7. Connect the Sony AN-1 to your radio.
..
..
REMEMBER: "The AM/MW and Shortwave Antenna is 55.5% . . .
of the Radio/Receiver and Antenna/Ground Reception Equation"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/288
A Shortwave Antenna is "Equally" Important for Good Reception [.]
..
..
iane ~ RHF
..
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night . . .
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond - The Beyond !
..
..
= = = Chris wrote in message
= = = . ..

Hi All,

I have a JRC NRD 545 and im about to move house and im going to be
some what limited as to what antenna's i can put up at the new
property.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the following
antennna's and if anyone could help me decide what would be the best 1
to match with the 545.

I mainly listen to stuff between 3MHz & 21MHz.

RF Systems MTA Antenna

Old September 16th 04, 04:47 PM
Howard

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 06:46:22 GMT, Chris wrote:

Hi All,

I have a JRC NRD 545 and im about to move house and im going to be
some what limited as to what antenna's i can put up at the new
property.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the following
antennna's and if anyone could help me decide what would be the best 1
to match with the 545.

I mainly listen to stuff between 3MHz & 21MHz.

Antenna 1: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3368.html
Antenna 2: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2868.html

Any help/advice appreciated.

TIA

Chris.

Unless you have more money than common sense I wouldn't recommend
either antenna. If you can get 30 - 60 feet of wire in the clear you
are better off, even that length tacked along the fascia board would
be better - and a very small fraction of the price of the RF systems
antenna.
Old September 17th 04, 03:41 AM
Chris

Thanks RHF!

Thats exactly what i wanted to know!

As i said in my OP i am restricted to space so its not just a matter
of throwing out a heap of wire and trying ,at best i could probably
get out about 10ft absolutelty tops and its not really the size or
length that is the issue its the way it looks to the eye and i think 1
smallish vertical is going to be a lot easier on the eye than several
feet of wire strung up all over the place!

Thanks again RHF ,great reply to my OP ,i will let you know how the
MTA goes when it arrives.

Chris.

Old September 20th 04, 02:04 AM
CW

I have a 66 foot multiband dipole under my eves. The only way one can see it
is to get within about two feet of the house and look under there. If
someone from your homeowners association spots it and complains, make a deal
with them. They let you keep the antenna or you file charges for
trespassing.

news