Old November 7th 03, 08:25 PM
Johnny V. Mullins

Default BALUN ??

Hi, group. I'm considering an attempt at building a quad antenna for 11
meters.
The plans I have, leave some of the details to the builder.
It's my understanding that the driven element needs to be fed VIA a balun.
I emailed a person with baluns "for sale" listed on ebay. He replied that he
thought I needed a 4:1 balun for a quad.
It's was my understanding that the balun should be a 1:1 ??

Anyone in the group care to advise me on this question ??

Any help and /or advise on the building of the 4 element 11 meter Quad would
be appreciated :-) !!

Thanks

Johnny

Old November 8th 03, 12:39 AM
Mikey

Unless you go the route of feeding with twin lead and a tuner (and, yes I
know several local hams that do so successfully), then you need to back up
and look at the impedance of your driven loop, and the impedance of your
feedline - a balun, if used, will match those two impedances. For example,
a 300-ohm element with 50-ohm coax would require a 6:1 balun.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

73,
KI6PR
El Rancho R.F., CA

"Johnny V. Mullins" wrote

Old November 8th 03, 12:42 AM
Mikey

An additional comment. Are you aware that Cubex is now offering 11-meter
quads? Conversely, are you aware that there are a number of good books on
quad theory and construction? Just trying to help...

- KI6PR
El Rancho R.F., Ca

"Johnny V. Mullins" wrote

Old November 8th 03, 08:53 AM
Dave VanHorn

"Mikey" wrote in message
Unless you go the route of feeding with twin lead and a tuner (and, yes I
know several local hams that do so successfully), then you need to back up
and look at the impedance of your driven loop, and the impedance of your
feedline - a balun, if used, will match those two impedances. For

example,
a 300-ohm element with 50-ohm coax would require a 6:1 balun.

A full wave loop should come in right around 50 ohms.

Old November 8th 03, 05:47 PM
Hacksaw

Just go and feed the wires direct, no balum needed at all. Works just
fine with out all that crap.

Old November 8th 03, 06:25 PM
Dave VanHorn

"Hacksaw" wrote in message
Just go and feed the wires direct, no balum needed at all. Works just
fine with out all that crap.

Until you start wondering why you have so much RF in the shack, and why you
don't get the directivity you ought to..

Your inability to see the difference does not mean that there is no
difference.

Old November 10th 03, 02:22 AM
Hacksaw

We have built Quads for thirty years, and NO ****ing Balun was ever needed.
Go and read the books there mentioned. Needing a balun is bull **** ad you
must be brainwashed on all that crap. Some say not to eat bad food also, but
it all bad. Yes some books say to use a balun, and say all things about how
bad it is, but in expirence not much difference was found.
Read the history on the first Quad , they did not build a balun. In fact
we have tested some Quads using 10,000 watts, 40 meters, and there was no
balun available for that power, and guess what there was hardly no power
coming back either, F/D was great. Used that for four years.
Look at some of the two meter quads driven elements, or some of the 432
driven elements or 1296 loop yagi NO balun was used either.
Amazing .

Old November 10th 03, 05:36 AM
'Doc

Hacksaw,
Congratulations! You made it.
'Doc
Old November 10th 03, 06:19 AM
Hacksaw

Still going and going

Old November 10th 03, 07:40 AM
Dave VanHorn

"Hacksaw" wrote in message
We have built Quads for thirty years, and NO ****ing Balun was ever

needed.

I'm sorry.

Your inability to see the difference does not mean that there is no
difference.

ANTENNA BALUN ?? Johnny V. Mullins Antenna 14 November 10th 03 05:44 AM
Van Gorden Balun Roger Halstead Antenna 3 September 22nd 03 09:28 PM
50-300Ohm balun Reg Edwards Antenna 2 August 31st 03 06:11 PM
How to test a balun? Henry Kolesnik Antenna 0 July 20th 03 05:25 PM
What kind of balun is it? whitehat Antenna 1 July 11th 03 12:52 AM