Old April 16th 07, 11:55 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Putting the Ham back into Ham Radio?

I wonder if we who are the Usenet-frequenting Radio
Hams might somehow get together to sort out the
dreadful mess that has been created in no small
part by the self-interest of those who control
the RSCB?

Might we all act together to produce a series
of "biscuits" that could then be assembled
Lego-like fashion to produce any rig or test
equipment? This would have a number of benefits,
not the least of which would be the bankrupting
of the cancerous emporia whose off-the-shelf
Cheque-Book (CB) radios are not only discouraging
the homebrew engineering that is the essence
of _REAL_ Ham Radio but also encouraging an
altogether undesirable element to regard
themselves as of our ranks. Once the advertising
income from those dead emporia ceased to flow,
then the national societies might get back
to supporting technical excellence instead
of Complete Bull**** (CB) as they do now?

(And, no, I'm not thinking in terms of the facile
hardware exercises that bring on the disease known
as the gangrenous degeneration that is the M3/CB
Fools' Licence scheme; facile because once a
so-called "licence" has been granted the hardware
diversion is largely forgotten.)

Old April 16th 07, 12:34 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 16 Apr, 11:55, "G.A.Evans G4SDW" wrote:

Might we all act together to produce a series
of "biscuits" that could then be assembled
Lego-like fashion to produce any rig or test
equipment? This would have a number of benefits,

Like LEGO? Well done for realising that currently amateur radio has
done little to interest the under-fives. Maybe it's a whole new market?

Old April 16th 07, 12:36 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"G.A.Evans G4SDW" wrote in message
I wonder if we who are the Usenet-frequenting Radio
Hams might somehow get together to sort out the
dreadful mess that has been created in no small
part by the self-interest of those who control
the RSCB?

A kind of take over then ? .......

Old April 16th 07, 02:16 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, G.A.Evans G4SDW wrote:

I wonder if we who are the Usenet-frequenting Radio
Hams might somehow get together to sort out the
dreadful mess that has been created in no small
part by the self-interest of those who control
the RSCB?

Might we all act together to produce a series
of "biscuits" that could then be assembled
Lego-like fashion to produce any rig or test
equipment?

FWIW (pardon me) but I recognize what you are talking about as "descrete
devices" (i.e. tubes, transistors, resistors, capacitors, etc.).

This would have a number of benefits,
not the least of which would be the bankrupting
of the cancerous emporia whose off-the-shelf
Cheque-Book (CB) radios are not only discouraging
the homebrew engineering that is the essence
of _REAL_ Ham Radio but also encouraging an
altogether undesirable element to regard
themselves as of our ranks.

I think all that store-bought stuff just dumbs-down the brains of people
who would be better off building their own, leanring something, and
sharpening their wits in the process.

Once the advertising
income from those dead emporia ceased to flow,
then the national societies might get back
to supporting technical excellence instead
of Complete Bull**** (CB)

Hey, that's a great acronym for CB (or vice versa)!

as they do now?

(And, no, I'm not thinking in terms of the facile
hardware exercises that bring on the disease known
as the gangrenous degeneration that is the M3/CB
Fools' Licence scheme; facile because once a
so-called "licence" has been granted the hardware
diversion is largely forgotten.)

We've also got too many "keyboard potatoes," too!

Old April 16th 07, 02:54 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Jim GM4DHJ" wrote in message

"G.A.Evans G4SDW" wrote in message
I wonder if we who are the Usenet-frequenting Radio
Hams might somehow get together to sort out the
dreadful mess that has been created in no small
part by the self-interest of those who control
the RSCB?

A kind of take over then ? .......

I would buy the RSGB but I only buy going concerns normally or businesses
that have a clear future.

Old April 16th 07, 03:04 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Gordon Hudson wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ" wrote in message
"G.A.Evans G4SDW" wrote in message
I wonder if we who are the Usenet-frequenting Radio
Hams might somehow get together to sort out the
dreadful mess that has been created in no small
part by the self-interest of those who control
the RSCB?

A kind of take over then ? .......

I would buy the RSGB but I only buy going concerns normally or businesses
that have a clear future.

Well, you should be able to get the RSGB for about a fiver, so maybe
worth a punt

--
ARRL membership = $39 (~£20)
RSGB membership = £44

Don't let them rip you off any more.
Do the right thing, resign from the RSGB today.

The RSGB said Radio Amateurs were a threat to national security!
Is this the type of organisation you want to represent you?
Old April 16th 07, 03:41 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Arv Arv is offline

On 16 Apr, 07:16, Straydog wrote:
[...]

G4SDW & "Straydog"

There are many groups on the Internet that are devoted to homebrewing
their own ham radio equipment. They run the full gamut of interests
from old valve type equipment to the latest in microprocessors and
microwave component based projects. You are welcome to join and
participate in these groups.

Arv - K7HKL

Old April 16th 07, 06:47 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"G.A.Evans G4SDW" wrote in message

Might we all act together to produce a series
of "biscuits" that could then be assembled
Lego-like fashion to produce any rig or test
equipment?

A truely excellent idea Gareth.

Why don't you rough out a plan and design a few of these "biscuits" and
publish them on a website or maybe in one of the various journals that
support the hobby.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your first designs.

--
73
Brian, G8OSN

Now your amateur licence is free, why not send at least £15 per year to
support the
Radio Communications Foundation or STELAR?

Old April 16th 07, 07:20 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Brian Reay wrote:

Why don't you rough out a plan and design a few of these "biscuits" and
publish them on a website or maybe in one of the various journals that
support the hobby.

So, not RadComic then!

--
ARRL membership = $39 (~£20)
RSGB membership = £44

Don't let them rip you off any more.
Do the right thing, resign from the RSGB today.

The RSGB said Radio Amateurs were a threat to national security!
Is this the type of organisation you want to represent you?

Putting the "Real" back into _REAL_ Ham Radio Polymath Homebrew 18 October 25th 05 03:21 PM
Putting the "Real" back into _REAL_ Ham Radio Polymath Policy 18 October 25th 05 03:21 PM
Putting up an Imax Buther Boy CB 16 October 24th 05 05:02 PM
Putting up an Imax Steveo Policy 0 October 19th 05 11:01 PM
Putting ARRL back "mainstream" with hometown hams KØHB Policy 163 May 22nd 05 09:51 PM