Old April 30th 04, 05:30 AM
zeno

Default Murch Antenna Tuner

Anyone have any experience or know anything about the Murch
UT2000B transmatch. I ended up with one of these in a
(retired) lot that I aquired. Says it works 10-160 meters.
Power rating 2KW PEP. Takes coax or balanced line. Seems like
it is pretty good, it has a rolling inductor.

I was advised to use my 250W Johnson Matchbox rather than the
Murch for feeding my balanced line fed loop. I was planning
to eventually use a 4 tube 811A type linear amp (like the
30L-1).

Why would someone advise against the Murch in favor of the
Johnson for the balanced line?

The Murch has 160M, the Johnson no (unless I were to modify
it).

I may have two antenna options, one coax, the other balanced
line, maybe I should use both tuners and add switching. (The
Murch does not have a built in antenna switch, the switch it
has is either "in", "out", Dummy Load, or Grounded.)

Bill K6TAJ

Old April 30th 04, 11:04 AM
KC1DI

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 04:30:38 GMT, zeno wrote:

[...]

Hello Bill,

I used a murch Tuner for many years , it's a fine tuner and will work
well for you.. the Reason most people give for using the Johnson over
a T- Network like the Murch is that the Johnson is a true Link coupled
Balanced line tuner and is a bit more effecent and give better
balanced output to the fed line.. I had the murch 2000a which did not
include 160M but on 80-- through 10m it workd fine with my horizontal
loop and windham antenna.. Use it and enjoy.
73 Dave

Old April 30th 04, 12:58 PM
'Doc

Bill,
I've used both (not on 160 meters, though). For the
other bands, I really couldn't rell any great difference.
If it were my choice, I'd modify the 'Johnson' for 160.
It isn't that difficult, and I just like the 'Johnson'...
'Doc
Old April 30th 04, 01:43 PM

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 04:30:38 GMT, zeno wrote:

Anyone have any experience or know anything about the Murch
UT2000B transmatch. I ended up with one of these in a
(retired) lot that I aquired. Says it works 10-160 meters.
Power rating 2KW PEP. Takes coax or balanced line. Seems like
it is pretty good, it has a rolling inductor.

I liked my Murch, but eventually got rid of it because I wanted a
built-in switch. I don't know if I had the A or B, but I don't think it
had 160. If I remember right, that was one of the reasons for buying
something else when I could afford it.

I would be careful running power above 20m with it. The losses on 10m
were such that I lost quite a bit of power through it and wouldn't use
it. It was a great beginner tuner in the roller-coil class and I'm
certainly not sorry I owned one.

gm
--
Replace x in adr with c
Old April 30th 04, 03:53 PM
Dave Shrader

I have a Murch 2000A sitting about 12 inches from this location and
right on top of my AL-80B linear amplifier. I run 1200 watts CW though it.

It is a great tuner! Have used it for over 30 years and I WILL NOT
replace it!

But, it is intended for coax or end fed long wires, not for balanced
lines. I have used it with an old B&W air balun to match 600 ohm open
wire feeders.

Deacon Dave, W1MCE