Old October 26th 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default 11 meter quad beam

Hey look an actual question that makes sense............ :O)

Which is the best light wind load horizontal/vertical on the market today?

Old October 26th 06, 11:58 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Vinnie S. wrote:
On 25 Oct 2006 04:50:05 GMT, Steveo wrote:

Which is the best light wind load horizontal/vertical on the market
today?

I drive around alot, and find myself looking at antenna often. I almost
never see quads. I always see 3 element beams, and usualy with a combo of
other ham antennas (2M and such).

Vinnie S.

I'm the same way, always looking for antennas when I'm traveling about. I
like to use the flat side every now and then when the band opens up so I'm
going to put up another quad of some sort.
Old October 26th 06, 12:04 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

jim wrote:
Steveo wrote:

"pete" wrote:

"Steveo" wrote in message

Which is the best light wind load horizontal/vertical on the market
today?

Hardly anyone uses them, try google for reviews.

Yeah I tried that first and it seems you're right, Pete. My Y-quad is
wore out after many years of good service and I was wondering if the
Maco comet would be much of an upgrade:

http://www.bellscb.com/products/ante...maco_comet.htm

Or just buy another Y-quad.

http://www.bellscb.com/products/antennas/Maco/yquad.htm

I wish the PDL II was still being made.

Ever think of a JoGunn? Maybe Jay in the Mojave can come up with
something.

Yeah I was looking at the JO GUNN STAR and comparing it to the Maco Comet.
The comet is lighter and less expensive but I don't know about durability.
The 3 + 3 has a bit better rejection and gain numbers, if they're to be
believed.

http://www.bellscb.com/products/ante...maco_comet.htm

http://www.jogunn.com/jgstar.htm
Old October 26th 06, 12:11 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Hi Jay.

Yeah someone emailed me about those and said they were happy with it. I
can't say I've ever heard of them before. Do you have any hands on
experience with them?

Jay in the Mojave wrote:
Hello Stevo and jim:

Look at the Qubex Magum CB Series Quad antennas.

http://www.cubex.com/index.htm

Jay in the Mojave

Old October 26th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On 26 Oct 2006 11:04:49 GMT, Steveo wrote:

+++Yeah I was looking at the JO GUNN STAR and comparing it to the Maco Comet.
+++The comet is lighter and less expensive but I don't know about durability.
+++The 3 + 3 has a bit better rejection and gain numbers, if they're to be
+++believed.

****************

Steveo

I used an antenna like the Star back in the 70's called a Gizmotchy. I
had a four element version. One thing that that beam had was a very
deep null at about 120 degrees both sides from the front. Easily knock
down a signal 6 or 7 S units no trouble. Had the top of the driven
element at about 36 feet and it worked very well ground wave. I could
talk with 5 watts easily here in Florida 100 miles just about every
night.

The Star has a bit unbelievable rejection numbers. Still the design
does not appear to be a bad one from what I can determine by looking
at the pictures and limited description. From the boom length of the 4
element and three element designs it seems to be somewhat similar to
what I had. My 4 element was on a 13 foot boom. It could have been on
a slightly shorter boom.

james
Old October 26th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:08:49 -0400, Vinnie S.
wrote:

+++On 25 Oct 2006 04:50:05 GMT, Steveo wrote:
+++
+++Which is the best light wind load horizontal/vertical on the market today?
+++
+++
+++I drive around alot, and find myself looking at antenna often. I almost never
+++see quads. I always see 3 element beams, and usualy with a combo of other ham
+++antennas (2M and such).
+++
+++Vinnie S.

*****************

Quads are very nice antennae. They are a bit more tidious to setup and
errect than single polarity yagis are. Being that the driven element
is a full wavelength the feed impednace is much different than that of
a yagi and a better broad band match can be implemented.

One disadvantage of quads is that they need to be physcally higher
than a horizontal yagi. Depending on how you mount the rotation of the
antenna, can even make the placement of the boom even higher. A major
advantage of a quad is that element for element, the quad will have
more gain than a yagi design.

One other thing is the fiberglass spreaders whould be protected from
UV light. Some form of coating to block UV light is a necessity. UV
light tends to break down the resin composition of the spreaders. In
years gone by bamboo spreaders were used with some degree of success.

james
Old October 26th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

wrote:
On 26 Oct 2006 11:04:49 GMT, Steveo wrote:

+++Yeah I was looking at the JO GUNN STAR and comparing it to the Maco
Comet. +++The comet is lighter and less expensive but I don't know about
durability. +++The 3 + 3 has a bit better rejection and gain numbers, if
they're to be +++believed.

****************

Steveo

I used an antenna like the Star back in the 70's called a Gizmotchy.

One of these?

http://www.gizmotchy.com/

I've heard good things about those..I didn't find the price section so I'll
have to go back and do a little research later. I'd forgotten about them.
Thanks for the reminder, beerkeg.

had a four element version. One thing that that beam had was a very
deep null at about 120 degrees both sides from the front. Easily knock
down a signal 6 or 7 S units no trouble. Had the top of the driven
element at about 36 feet and it worked very well ground wave. I could
talk with 5 watts easily here in Florida 100 miles just about every
night.

Sounds decent.

The Star has a bit unbelievable rejection numbers. Still the design
does not appear to be a bad one from what I can determine by looking
at the pictures and limited description. From the boom length of the 4
element and three element designs it seems to be somewhat similar to
what I had. My 4 element was on a 13 foot boom. It could have been on
a slightly shorter boom.

james

Have you looked at the maco comet quad? (I posted the url earlier) I'm
trying to decide which has the most bang for the bucks, along with the wind
load and durability considerations.

Thanks for your input, keg.
Old October 26th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Steveo wrote:
Thanks for your input, keg.

err, James.
Old October 27th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

ScanDaBands wrote in
:

Hey look an actual question that makes sense............ :O)

On 25 Oct 2006 04:50:05 GMT, Steveo wrote:

Which is the best light wind load horizontal/vertical on the market
today?

CB'ers gotta buy off the shelf, they can't roll their own.

SC