Old August 6th 05, 02:45 PM
Yves Dussault

Default Buddipole antenna

I'm thinking of getting a Buddipole antenna.
I would loke comments on that antenna.
Thanks.
VE2ATD
Old August 7th 05, 03:24 PM
F8BOE

Good backyard weekend project!
Easy to make, and handle.
I might perhaps make one too...
F8BOE

Old August 7th 05, 11:37 PM
joe

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2651

More reviews of the antenna.

73 joe

Old August 8th 05, 12:18 AM

Yves Dussault wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a Buddipole antenna.
I would loke comments on that antenna.
Thanks.
VE2ATD

The Buddipole is a short, loaded portable antenna. Works OK for
camping, pedestrian mobile, field day, mobile and any number of other
uses. I would not use it as my primary antenna at my home QTH.
Gary N4AST

Old August 10th 05, 10:50 PM

Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Yves Dussault wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a Buddipole antenna.
I would loke comments on that antenna.
Thanks.
VE2ATD

The Buddipole is a short, loaded portable antenna. Works OK for
camping, pedestrian mobile, field day, mobile and any number of other
uses. I would not use it as my primary antenna at my home QTH.

Gary & JG & YD-

If the Buddipole is the one I'm thinking of, you can make out a lot
cheaper by buying or making a bracket that has capability of mounting two
mobile whips as a dipole.

I have one that came from the Lakeview Company in Anderson, South
Carolina. I have it mounted on a five foot section of TV mast supported by
a roof-mount tripod from Radio Shack. I've seen slightly different
brackets from other companies at hamfests.

I tried it with a pair of different mobile whips. One was a single-band
Ham Stick (Lakeview?) and the other a Hustler. On 40 Meters it didn't
work nearly as well as a full dipole, but not bad for an indoor loaded
dipole about five feet off the floor!

73, Fred, K4DII

Hi Fred, The orginal poster referred to the Buddipole antenna which
is a commerical antenna sold by that name. What you are thinking of is
2 mobile Hamsticks mounted on a bracket configured as a dipole. Other
than them both being dipoles, they are not that much alike.
The Buddipole is very light weight, covers 40m-2m by adjustment of
at hamfests using them, they had a harness like one would use for a
flag in a parade to support the "mast". They had one of the little
Yaesu Xcvrs (817?) strapped to their back, and were in QSO with
somebody, may have been a guy in the parking lot with a mobile.
The Hamstick dipoles are about the same length (16') but are heavier.
The efficiency is probably less on 40m and 20m due to the loading
schemes. To change bands you have to have aquire 2 more Hamstiks for
each band you wish to use. The Hamsticks can do 80m and maybe 160m,
but they are near dummy loads on these bands. The Hamsticks seem to
have more "sag" than the Buddipole.
As I stated in my previous post, I would hate to have to rely on either
as my primary base antenna.
Gary N4AST

Old August 14th 05, 05:22 AM
Michael Herron

What or how do you intend to use it? Portable mobile or? If use is when
portable from a mobile situation, a decent screwdriver antenna will
outperform it bigtime!!

Old October 5th 05, 07:34 PM

If the Buddipole is the one I'm thinking of, you can make out a lot
cheaper by buying or making a bracket that has capability of mounting two
mobile whips as a dipole.

I did that with two 80- or two 40-meter whips mounted about two feet above
the cab (pointed straight forward and straight aft) of my pickup truck
(which has a topper on the rear at essentially the same height, and it
"got out" like gangbusters!

Unfortunately, one day the forward-pointing whip exactly snared the loop
on the rope used to close the garage door, and several things broke!
(But, fortunately, it didn't damage the garage door.)
--
--Myron A. Calhoun.
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge

Questions -?- Considering a 'small' Shortwave Listener's (SWLs) Antenna RHF Shortwave 1 January 24th 05 10:37 PM
Discone antenna plans [email protected] Antenna 13 January 15th 05 12:51 AM
LongWire Antenna Jim B Shortwave 5 March 2nd 04 10:36 AM
EH Antenna Revisited Walter Maxwell Antenna 47 January 16th 04 05:34 AM
Outdoor Antenna and lack of intermod Soliloquy Scanner 11 October 11th 03 01:36 AM