Old September 6th 03, 03:56 AM

Default First South America Contact

Hi,
I'm a new general and just made my first South American contact. I need the
details of appropriate QSLing. I have the name and address of the individual
I contacted. He names a QSL manager in his QRZ profile page. My assumption
is I would send the QSL card to the manager. Is this right? Sorry for the
dumb question. I'm just getting started in this hobby.
Thanks,
Paul
KD5LAR
Old September 6th 03, 04:52 AM
Hank Oredson

wrote in message
.. .
Hi,
I'm a new general and just made my first South American contact. I need the
details of appropriate QSLing. I have the name and address of the individual
I contacted. He names a QSL manager in his QRZ profile page. My assumption
is I would send the QSL card to the manager. Is this right? Sorry for the
dumb question. I'm just getting started in this hobby.
Thanks,
Paul
KD5LAR

Yup, you got it right.

Let's assume the manager is in the US.
Include a self addressed stamped envelope so he can send the QSL to you.
Also nice to include a bit of money to help cover the managers expenses.
Perhaps $1 would be appropriate ... hence the term "green stamp".

If the manager is outside the US the same ideas apply, but do include
something to cover the cost of postage and QSL card to help out the manager.

If you are not real concerned about getting the QSL quickly, as in "Oh,
nice QSO, but my 147th PY contact" then you might send a QSL via
the bureau and will likely get one back eventually.

I've done a lot of DXing recently but have not been all that concerned
about QSLs ... have a 50 year collection of them ... so others may be
able to provide more up to date comments on current practices.

Those first DX QSLs are sure nice to have though!
I still have my first "Worked All Continents" QSLs neatly mounted
in a little frame I can hang on the wall :-)

--

... Hank

Hank: http://horedson.home.att.net
W0RLI: http://w0rli.home.att.net

Old September 6th 03, 05:14 AM

Thanks Hank,
I found the manager on QRZ (EA5KB) and I think he's asking for an addressed
envelope plus a dollar (USD/IRC).
Paul

Old September 6th 03, 01:50 PM
Dee D. Flint

wrote in message
.. .
Thanks Hank,
I found the manager on QRZ (EA5KB) and I think he's asking for an

addressed
envelope plus a dollar (USD/IRC).
Paul

An IRC is an International Reply Coupon. It is useable in any member
country of the International Postal Union to buy postage. Since the QSL
manager is in Spain, he will need that to buy stamps since he cannot use US
stamps.

You can get an IRC at post offices. However, you may have to hunt around
for them as not every post office will bother to have them on hand. For
awhile, I lived in a small town and they special ordered them for me as I
was the only person who ever asked for them. These days, you can probably
order them via the internet as the postal service does have a web site.

That first DX contact is a real thrill. I remember too.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old September 6th 03, 05:14 PM
Drink

Can you give a very brief overview of how the IRC works for us?
o_o_o_o
Best Regards, /| ,[_____],
Jim, WP3JQ |¯¯¯L --O|||||||O-
()_)¯ ()_)¯¯¯¯¯)_)
EM60qk 30.447439N 086.628959W

Old September 7th 03, 03:32 AM
Wayne

Drink wrote:

Can you give a very brief overview of how the IRC works for us?
o_o_o_o
Best Regards, /| ,[_____],
Jim, WP3JQ |¯¯¯L --O|||||||O-
()_)¯ ()_)¯¯¯¯¯)_)
EM60qk 30.447439N 086.628959W

This link will point you to all the IRC info you should ever need.
http://www.ac6v.com/callbooks.htm#IRC
Hope this helps.

73
Wayne L. Faris, KEØBZ

aprs help wanted; mexico central and south america David Auletta Digital 10 December 25th 04 09:39 PM
aprs help wanted; mexico central and south america David Auletta Digital 0 November 29th 04 12:18 AM
Air America MondayMornin Antenna 25 April 29th 04 02:10 AM
Delivery / Pick-Up...Service...West Coast to East Coast & South! MTM Boatanchors 0 March 17th 04 08:33 PM
Amateur Radio Operators in the South Pacific Hank Oredson Dx 1 July 29th 03 04:04 AM