Old June 21st 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Robert11

Default For Anyone With The New Uniden 996 (null adapter question)

Hello:

For anyone with the new Uniden 996:

Book isn't too clear on this.

If I use the 9-Pin 232 port on the rear to connect to my PC, do I
need a null adapter ? Again, this is the connector on the back of the case.

The book seems to imply that one is required, but my old 780 did Not.
Would be surprising, I think, if the 780 didn't, but this one does.

Any info. would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
B.

Old June 21st 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Bill Crocker

If you use the front port on the scanner, and the supplied cable, that's all
you need. If you want to extend that cable, it's a straight-through serial
cable, not a null-modem cable.

However, it is my understanding if you use the port on the rear of the 996,
that will require a null-modem cable. This is different from the 780, and
796D.

The 996 has two RS232 serial ports! The one on the back is a DB9 male. The
one of the front is a very small "Uniden" style serial port, and a cable is
included with the scanner to fit this port, and it gives you a standard DB9
female on the other end.

Bill Crocker

Hello:

Old June 21st 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Al Klein

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:06:30 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

If I use the 9-Pin 232 port on the rear to connect to my PC, do I
need a null adapter ? Again, this is the connector on the back of the case.

The connector is for a GPS receiver, not a PC connection. The PC
connection is the little one on the front panel - the one the supplied
cable plugs into.
Old June 21st 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Robert11

Hello:

Thank you very much for help.
Sure is a lot to know with this.

Are you "sure" that the rear connector, in addition to the GPS usage, isn't
also structured
for connecting to the PC, if desired rather than the front panel connector ?

My understanding was that you could use either, but if using the rear, a
null modem cable was probably required.

Not at all sure,though, and the book really doesn't describe this very well.
Any other thoughts on ?
-------

Can I ask you one other, pleae:

I downloaded the UASD software and got it installed with the Key, I believe
O.K.

But, there's now a Folder on my Desktop labeled BCSS.
I used all of their default locations, and didn't change any.

Where should this folder actually be located ?
When I put it where you suggest, should I just put the complete folder
there, or only the contents of it ?

Thanks again,
Bob

-------------------------

Old June 22nd 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Al Klein

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 17:18:56 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

Thank you very much for help.
Sure is a lot to know with this.

Are you "sure" that the rear connector, in addition to the GPS usage, isn't
also structured
for connecting to the PC, if desired rather than the front panel connector ?

My understanding was that you could use either, but if using the rear, a
null modem cable was probably required.

A gender changer, definitely. A null modem, probably. But I see no
mention of using the rear port to connect to the computer.

Can I ask you one other, pleae:

I downloaded the UASD software and got it installed with the Key, I believe
O.K.

But, there's now a Folder on my Desktop labeled BCSS.
I used all of their default locations, and didn't change any.

Where should this folder actually be located ?
When I put it where you suggest, should I just put the complete folder
there, or only the contents of it ?

BCSS is where the installation program gets unzipped to. I doubt it's
even needed after you have the program running.

Old June 22nd 06, 12:19 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Bill Crocker

wrote:

If I use the 9-Pin 232 port on the rear to connect to my PC, do I
need a null adapter ? Again, this is the connector on the back of the
case.

The connector is for a GPS receiver, not a PC connection. The PC
connection is the little one on the front panel - the one the supplied
cable plugs into.

The connector on the back is not limited to GPS use. It is also used for
cloning one 996 to another.

Old June 22nd 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Al Klein

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 07:19:13 -0400, "Bill Crocker"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

If I use the 9-Pin 232 port on the rear to connect to my PC, do I
need a null adapter ? Again, this is the connector on the back of the
case.

The connector is for a GPS receiver, not a PC connection. The PC
connection is the little one on the front panel - the one the supplied
cable plugs into.

The connector on the back is not limited to GPS use. It is also used for
cloning one 996 to another.

I stand corrected, Bill.