Old May 8th 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Yaesu 990 advice

Need a little info please.

Have a Yaesu FT-990, no service manual. The light on the meter is dead.
Anyone ever change out one of these bulbs?
Is it a major undertaking or just minor surgery? Have changed a couple of
"grain of wheat" bulbs in dual band mobile radios before.
Just thought I would ask before tearing into the thing. If it is a real
major operation will send it off, other wise will dig in and do it myself.
Also, if someone has the service manual, perhaps you can pass along the part
number for the bulb, assuming it is a bulb and not a back lit meter of some
sort.

Sam - K7SAM

Old May 8th 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Topaz305RK wrote:
Need a little info please.

Have a Yaesu FT-990, no service manual. The light on the meter is dead.
Anyone ever change out one of these bulbs?
Is it a major undertaking or just minor surgery? Have changed a couple of
"grain of wheat" bulbs in dual band mobile radios before.
Just thought I would ask before tearing into the thing. If it is a real
major operation will send it off, other wise will dig in and do it myself.
Also, if someone has the service manual, perhaps you can pass along the part
number for the bulb, assuming it is a bulb and not a back lit meter of some
sort.

Sam - K7SAM

It is a 12v lamp according to schematic,and you would be much better off
replacing it with a led and resistor...

Bob N9LVU
Old May 8th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Robert Kubichek wrote:
Topaz305RK wrote:
Need a little info please.

Have a Yaesu FT-990, no service manual. The light on the meter is
dead. Anyone ever change out one of these bulbs?
Is it a major undertaking or just minor surgery? Have changed a couple
of "grain of wheat" bulbs in dual band mobile radios before.
Just thought I would ask before tearing into the thing. If it is a
real major operation will send it off, other wise will dig in and do
it myself.
Also, if someone has the service manual, perhaps you can pass along
the part number for the bulb, assuming it is a bulb and not a back lit
meter of some sort.

Sam - K7SAM

It is a 12v lamp according to schematic,and you would be much better off
replacing it with a led and resistor...

Bob N9LVU

FT-990 "Technical Supplement":

Exploded View (Front Panel Assembly):
Meter Lamp 14V 150mA, Q1000075. If I interpret the drawing correctly,
the meter lamp goes into fuse holder P2000003.

Pilot Lamp Replacement:
Disconnect all cables, remove top and bottom covers.
Remove 7 screws from the edges of the front panel (2 bottom, 3 top, 1
upper left, 1 upper right).
Loosen 2 remaining screws at the lower edge on each side.
Fold front panel forward and down to access the inside.
Remove 2 screws in the lamp reflector.
Remove reflector to access lamp within.

Hope this helps!

73, Markus HB9BRJ / AE6MG
Old May 9th 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Markus L" wrote in message
. ..
Robert Kubichek wrote:
Topaz305RK wrote:
[...]

Markus -

Think that was just the info I was looking for.
Thanks a bunch, very much appreciated.

Sam - K7SAM

Old May 9th 07, 05:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Robert Kubichek wrote:
Topaz305RK wrote:
[...]

LEDs tend to have a very narrow dispersion angle. A friend (service
'mangler' for a pro-sound company) gave me a tip: file-off the lens of the
LED.
If you want to stay with grain-of-wheat bulbs, and can't get the OEM units,
you can find them at well-stocked hobby stores. To make them last longer,
you can use a constant-current source (LM317L, etc) to limit the in-rush
current. You'll lose 1.21V across the '317, which may still be acceptable.
73,
Bryan WA7PRC

Yaesu FT-7 Advice Needed - Antennas Robert King General 0 February 22nd 07 02:50 PM
SX-62A Advice Bill Powell Boatanchors 0 November 24th 04 08:57 PM
Advice please. Tim Digital 2 February 22nd 04 08:00 PM
Advice please. Tim Digital 0 February 22nd 04 11:42 AM
Need advice Steve Trook Antenna 1 January 19th 04 03:59 AM