Old March 21st 11, 10:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default N to 3/8-24

I'd like to modify an Arrow OSJ 146/440 to use an N connector instead of
SO239. This would require an N-to-3/8"-24 stud. Allen Lowe hasn't
heard of such a thing, which is why he doesn't offer that antenna with
an N-connector. Does anyone here know if such a beast exists? What
would it take to have some of these custom made?

--
David Griffith
--- Put my last name where it belongs
Old March 22nd 11, 05:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Mar 21, 3:35*pm, (David Griffith) wrote:
I'd like to modify an Arrow OSJ 146/440 to use an N connector instead of
SO239. *This would require an N-to-3/8"-24 stud. *Allen Lowe hasn't
heard of such a thing, which is why he doesn't offer that antenna with
an N-connector. *Does anyone here know if such a beast exists? *What
would it take to have some of these custom made?

--
David Griffith
* --- Put my last name where it belongs

I'm a bit confused about what, exactly, you want... is it something
to go from an N connector "chassis mount" socket's center pin to a
3/8-24 stud? Or some sort of adapter to go between the N series
5/8"-24 thread and a 3/8"-24 thread? A picture would probably be
worth lots of words...

Cheers,
Tom
Old March 22nd 11, 08:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

K7ITM wrote:
On Mar 21, 3:35*pm, (David Griffith) wrote:
I'd like to modify an Arrow OSJ 146/440 to use an N connector instead of
SO239. *This would require an N-to-3/8"-24 stud. *Allen Lowe hasn't
heard of such a thing, which is why he doesn't offer that antenna with
an N-connector. *Does anyone here know if such a beast exists? *What
would it take to have some of these custom made?

I'm a bit confused about what, exactly, you want... is it something
to go from an N connector "chassis mount" socket's center pin to a
3/8-24 stud? Or some sort of adapter to go between the N series
5/8"-24 thread and a 3/8"-24 thread? A picture would probably be
worth lots of words...

See Ebay item number 380322578383. This device connects the center
conductor of an SO239 to a 3/8"-24 bolt upon which a tall nut is
screwed. To use it, you stick it up through a piece of metal (say, a
bracket), put an insulating washer on that, add the tall nut, then put a
whip adapter in the nut. I want something like that for an N-connector.

Old March 22nd 11, 09:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 08:00:34 +0000, David Griffith rearranged some
electrons to say:

K7ITM wrote:
On Mar 21, 3:35Â*pm, (David Griffith) wrote:
I'd like to modify an Arrow OSJ 146/440 to use an N connector instead
of SO239. Â*This would require an N-to-3/8"-24 stud. Â*Allen Lowe hasn't
heard of such a thing, which is why he doesn't offer that antenna with
an N-connector. Â*Does anyone here know if such a beast exists? Â*What
would it take to have some of these custom made?

I'm a bit confused about what, exactly, you want... is it something to
go from an N connector "chassis mount" socket's center pin to a 3/8-24
stud? Or some sort of adapter to go between the N series 5/8"-24
thread and a 3/8"-24 thread? A picture would probably be worth lots of
words...

See Ebay item number 380322578383. This device connects the center
conductor of an SO239 to a 3/8"-24 bolt upon which a tall nut is
screwed. To use it, you stick it up through a piece of metal (say, a
bracket), put an insulating washer on that, add the tall nut, then put a
whip adapter in the nut. I want something like that for an N-connector.

Or just use something like this with the SO-239...

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...px?SKU=2020635

Old March 22nd 11, 03:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Mar 22, 1:00*am, (David Griffith) wrote:
K7ITM wrote:
[...]

Ah, OK...what the ebay picture looks like to me is an UHF socket whose
"rear" pin becomes a male 3/8-24, so a 3/8-24 coupling nut ("long
nut") can go over it to clamp the insulating washers to the bracket.
The problem I see with that is you couldn't just make a simple 3/8-24
stud and solder it to an N center pin, and expect it would hold up
very well with the tension on the solder joint. It would be pretty
trivial to make on a lathe I'd be happy to do it, but you probably
wouldn't like the price for one. They'd be cheap (relatively) if you
wanted 10,000 of them. ;-) Then you also need the insulating
washers--maybe you get those from the existing antenna? If what I
described in the first sentence is what you're looking for, check CB
stores for a 3/8-24 to 1/8" whip adapter...

Seems like a better mechanical arrangement would be to have the whip
attached securely to the mounting bracket, and the N connector also
securely attached to the mounting bracket, arranged to there's
relatively little strain on the center pin of the N connector...

If an SO239 to N adapter works, MPJA has them for about a third the
price of Allied... see MPJA # 0522-RC.

Cheers,
Tom

Old March 22nd 11, 04:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

K7ITM wrote:
Seems like a better mechanical arrangement would be to have the whip
attached securely to the mounting bracket, and the N connector also
securely attached to the mounting bracket, arranged to there's
relatively little strain on the center pin of the N connector...

What seems to me that would work would be some variation on a U shaped bracket:

(pardon the ASCII art)

II (antenna)
_____________
| IIII |
| II |NNN
| L-----|NNN
M |M |NNN
M |M |
M |M |
| |

N is the N connector
M is the mounting bolt for the bracket.
If the wire is stranded, then there would be little or no stress on the center
pin of the N connector.

Or if you want the wire out the bottom,

II (antenna)
_____________
| IIII
| II
M|M |
M|M |
| NNNNN
_____NNNNN___
NNNNN
NNNNN
NNNNN

73,

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.
Old March 23rd 11, 09:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Hey OT:

Exactly what I would do almost.

Homebrew my own from a Type N bulkhead chassis mount connector as seen
he
https://emersonconnectivity.com/OA_M...orBrochure.pdf

I'd solder a 3/8-24 by 2 inch SS stud onto the center pin.

I'd take a stick of JB weld putty type epoxy and make a form around
the N connector and stud

Thread on a Hex threaded SS or chrome 3/8-24 coupler

Viola' a Type N gumdrop mount.

73 OM
de
n8zu

On Mar 22, 12:29*pm, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:
K7ITM *wrote:
Seems like a better mechanical arrangement would be to have the whip
attached securely to the mounting bracket, and the N connector also
securely attached to the mounting bracket, arranged to there's
relatively little strain on the center pin of the N connector...

What seems to me that would work would be some variation on a U shaped bracket:

(pardon the ASCII art)

* * * * * * * * II (antenna)
* * * * * _____________
* * * * * | * *IIII * |
* * * * * | * * II * *|NNN
* * * * * | * * L-----|NNN
* * * * M |M * * * * *|NNN
* * * * M |M * * * * *|
* * * * M |M * * * * *|
* * * * * | * * * * * |

Old March 24th 11, 06:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

raypsi wrote:
Hey OT:

Exactly what I would do almost.

Homebrew my own from a Type N bulkhead chassis mount connector as seen
he
https://emersonconnectivity.com/OA_M...orBrochure.pdf

I'd solder a 3/8-24 by 2 inch SS stud onto the center pin.

I'd take a stick of JB weld putty type epoxy and make a form around
the N connector and stud

Thread on a Hex threaded SS or chrome 3/8-24 coupler

Viola' a Type N gumdrop mount.

I'm a bit concerned as to how strong such an arrangement would be.

Old March 24th 11, 08:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

https://emersonconnectivity.com/OA_M...onnectorBrochu...
I'd solder a 3/8-24 by 2 inch SS stud onto the center pin.
I'd take a stick of JB weld putty type epoxy and make a form around
the N connector and stud
Thread on a Hex threaded SS or chrome 3/8-24 coupler
Viola' a Type N gumdrop mount.

I'm a bit concerned as to how strong such an arrangement would be.

--
David Griffith
* --- Put my last name where it belongs

hey OT:

A 5/8 wave whip is sum like 57 inches in fiberglass, a gum drop mount
is pretty supstantial, my gum drop mount is like 3 inches in diameter
at the base, I used a uni multi step drill bit to cut the 3/4 inch
hole in the trunk of my Taurus. My whip was a 11 meter 1/4 wave
fiberglass whip I cut down to get 5/8 wave on 2 meters, and because
it's fiberglass makes it broadbanded from 144 to 148 Mhz like
1.2-1.1/1 across the band

73 OT
de n8zu
Old March 25th 11, 05:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

raypsi wrote:
[...]

There isn't quite that much room on the base of an Arrow J-pole.

I'm wondering how much loss there would be if I simply add an SO239-to-N
converter and solder the threads together.