Old August 29th 04, 05:14 PM
Henry Kolesnik

Default Houston surplus parts store ?

Are there any neat surplus electronics parts, eqpt, etc stores left in and
around Houston that I should check out on my this week?
tnx

--
73
Hank WD5JFR

Old August 29th 04, 05:38 PM
Moe

EPO (eletronic parts outlet)

110 E Medical Center Blvd
Webster, TX 77598-430
out in Clear Lake area near NASA

"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message
om...
Are there any neat surplus electronics parts, eqpt, etc stores left in and
around Houston that I should check out on my this week?
tnx

--
73
Hank WD5JFR

Attached Images
File Type: gif space.gif (50 Bytes, 83 views)
Old August 29th 04, 05:44 PM
David

Hank-
Alas, Houston has become a wasteland for electronics scrounging from what
I've been able to tell.
The EPO outlets used to have a reasonable amount of miltary and commercial
surplus, but they've become commercialized towards computers, and the other
garden variety electronics stores only carry the traditional stuff. Fry's
is pretty cool, but obviously no surplus. Madison Electronics used to be
the cats meow, but that was many years ago.

I assume you've heard of dallas' 1st Saturday sale, which occurs this coming
weekend.
http://www.firstsaturday.com/ it's become computer-centric, but most of the
electronics stuff (i.e. ham) start setting up around 7:00AM in the back
area.

Also Ft Worth has Nortex
http://www.montagar.com/~patj/nortex.htm
Which is waay cool to browse, but don't expect to find any incredible finds
or deals.

Too bad Houston isn't more like Dallas wrt surplus goodies.

regards
-dave
W5OC

Old August 29th 04, 07:38 PM
Darrell

Ace Electronics, 3210 Antoine Dr. Houston, Texas 77092. Phone:713-688-8114

A little on the expensive side in my opinion, but loaded with all sorts of
parts and hardware.

Darrell, WA5VGO

"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in
om:

Old August 29th 04, 09:49 PM
Jimmie Stewart

Hank what are you looking for.and what dates are you hear.
There are two EPO in Houton.
The main one and first one closer to the center of Houston.
http://www.epo-houston.com/

jimmie stewart

what a
Henry Kolesnik wrote in message
om...
Are there any neat surplus electronics parts, eqpt, etc stores left in and
around Houston that I should check out on my this week?
tnx

--
73
Hank WD5JFR

---

Old August 30th 04, 03:21 AM
Henry Kolesnik

I guess I should have mentioned that I know about the 2 EPOs and in the past
I've been at Madison. I'll be there Tuesday, leaving Tulsa monday morning.
Just looking for neat stuff.

--
73
Hank WD5JFR

Old August 30th 04, 05:16 AM
truegridtz

Hey Henry:

I was told last week that in Missouri City is Charlie's Airwaves. He sells
renovated antique radios and he supposedly has some interesting surplus. If
I recall correctly Missouri City is South of Houston on I59, about 15-20
minutes. If I can find a map I will try to find out if this is correct and
post it.

His card I have here says C.B.s, Antennas, Stereos, Microwaves, TVs,
Satellites, RV parts, Accessories.

2547 Cartwright Rd.
Missouri City, Texas
281-499-5214

There is also O&E Electronics on Shephard about 3 blocks south of the North
Loop 610.

713-880-3055

This place is a major mess, but he does have a lot of odds and ends. He has
a large rack of used test gear. Also has a lot of NOS tubes, but a bit
pricey. He has tons of Sam's for sale. They mostly have parts for
repairing old TVs and VCRs, etc. Lots of weird ICs.

Vintage Sounds sells antique radios and phonographs. They are the HVRA
crowd. Lots of interesting pieces, all restored. Also have lots of tubes,
some books, records, very few parts except parts for acoustic phonographs.
They have horns, reproducers, knobs, etc. 713-468-4911. In the Hart
Antique Center on Fondren about 1/4 mile south of Westheimer. On the right
when heading south. Open till 6, 7 days.

The other EPO is right down the road from Vintage Sounds, on Fondren. Just
keep heading south past the elementary school, it is on the left about
another mile. Go through the light at Richmond when heading further south
on Fondren.

The Houston traffic is much easier before 2pm. Happy Hunting, Mark

. com...

Old August 30th 04, 06:42 AM
truegridtz

HK: To get to Missouri City go south on 59 and
exit Texas Hwy 6 (a few miles outside city limit). Turn left on 6 and go a
few miles. This map shows that Cartwright intersects Texas 6 as Road 3345.
Turn left on 3345. If you get to Road 1092 you've gone too far so do a 180
and go back to 3345. You may already know where it is. Good Luck MH

Old August 30th 04, 11:23 AM
Airy R. Bean

This will become an increasing problem in Yerp when the
WEE Waste directive takes hold - no company will be able to
dispose of old electronic eqpt other than through a licensed
waste operator, who must in his turn be able to show that he
has passed it on to similarly licensed people.

Scrap electronics will become a thing of the past for the enthusiast.

Old August 31st 04, 10:59 AM
truegridtz

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in message
This will become an increasing problem in Yerp when the
WEE Waste directive takes hold - no company will be able to
dispose of old electronic eqpt other than through a licensed
waste operator, who must in his turn be able to show that he
has passed it on to similarly licensed people.

Scrap electronics will become a thing of the past for the enthusiast.

This from a summary of the WEE:

"The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive (WEEE) aims to
minimise the impacts of electrical and electronic equipment on the
environment during their life times and when they become waste. It applies
to a huge spectrum of products. It encourages and sets criteria for the
collection, treatment, recycling and recovery of waste electrical and
electronic equipment. It makes producers responsible for financing most of
these activities (producer responsibility). Private householders are to be
able to return WEEE without charge."

Sounds like they are concerned with the same mess we have here with
computers and cells phones ending up in the dump.

Other WEEE info indicated that they are mainly concerned with dangerous
chemicles in batteries, etc. It does sound like the inspection process
would drive up the price of everything.

If they are trying to minimize the buildup of electronic waste as disposal
sites they would probably encourge surplus dealers to take what they could
sell. There is a limit to how much the dealers could pay for it. MH