Old October 31st 05, 04:47 AM
Tom Holden

Default Underground antennas

"Jiri Placek" wrote in message
oups.com...
A month ago I toured Eben Emael, a late 1930's Belgian fortress above
the Maas river near Maastricht. The fortress is famous for the daring
surprise attack that disabled its guns within 20 minutes and made it
surrender the next day. I will not go to the details here, the Eben
Emael Association has a site www.fort.eben-emael.be, there are good
descriptions in other Google groups (search Eben Emael in Google
groups) as well as a good description of the tour (search Eben Emael
Hankinson in Google Groups).

That's http://www.fort-eben-emael.be/ . Interesting site and story.

Old October 31st 05, 10:20 AM

www.devilfinder.com U.S.Navy Canada Underground Antenna for
Submarines

Some very,very low wave frequencies can transmit through deep water and
rock,almost anything.Satellites are used a lot nowdays,but Satellites
can get knocked out.
cuhulin

Old October 31st 05, 01:14 PM

Single black mom across the street from me works the graveyard shift
night times,,, how did I get roped into babysitting her daughter? Help!
cuhulin

Old October 31st 05, 07:26 PM
Mark Zenier

In article ,
Tony Meloche wrote:
wrote:
I have an old Popular Science magazine around here somewhere that dates
back to the 1960's.There is an article in the magazine about a U.S.Navy
ELF (or whatever frequency they use) Antenna buried underground coast to
coast along the U.S.A./Canadian border.The Antenna is or was used for
U.S.Navy to commicate with U.S.Submarines underwater.
cuhulin

The antenna system was buried underground in the Upper Peninsula of
Michigan (roughly along the American/Canadian border, yeah). It was
decommisioned just recently, as they use different wavelengths for
communications now. It was indeed for communications with subs around
the world - my boss was a CMPO on a series of nuclear subs from
1967-1997, and can talk at length about the ELF system.

The antenna wasn't underground. They had problems with woodpeckers
drilling nests in the wooden poles that it was mounted on.

There was also a scientific study that found that trees growing
near the antenna were bigger than those further away. They
concluded that it was a small amount of RF heating that helped the
trees grow right at the beginning of spring. Tells you something
about the weather on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Mark Zenier

Old November 1st 05, 07:13 AM
an old friend

Tony Meloche wrote:
wrote:
I have an old Popular Science magazine around here somewhere that dates
back to the 1960's.There is an article in the magazine about a U.S.Navy
ELF (or whatever frequency they use) Antenna buried underground coast to
coast along the U.S.A./Canadian border.The Antenna is or was used for
U.S.Navy to commicate with U.S.Submarines underwater.
cuhulin

The antenna system was buried underground in the Upper Peninsula of
Michigan (roughly along the American/Canadian border, yeah). It was
decommisioned just recently, as they use different wavelengths for
communications now. It was indeed for communications with subs around
the world - my boss was a CMPO on a series of nuclear subs from
1967-1997, and can talk at length about the ELF system.

as a Yooper (a resident of the Upper Penisnsula of Michigan) the ELF
system is south of me and just barely within the UP, we were informed
the primary reason for the discomissioning of ELF is the various eco
gruops were making it too expenseive to use and maintain (both by court
chalangce and sabotage) but I am about 100 nw of the elf stie and still
a fair distance south of the Us canada border

Tony

Old November 1st 05, 07:20 AM

Why don't you post your phone number and lets get the Canadian Royal
Mounted A..holes after you!
cuhulin

Old November 1st 05, 07:22 AM

You are trying to tell me! what the law is here in Mississippi!? I live
here.
cuhulin

Old November 1st 05, 07:23 AM

m II,,, You Really ARE!!! crazy!!! NO Doubt about IT!!!
cuhulin