Old April 8th 07, 02:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default RG-6 Coaxial Cable for Ham use

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 8, 1:05 am, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:
"Dave Heil" wrote in message

rthlink.net...

Tam/WB2TT wrote:

I might point out to Dee that the RG-6 I see is indeed meant for
outdoor
use. Our local dish installers us it as their standard feedline.

Of the few samples that I looked at, the black RG6 was outdoor rated,
the
white jacketed was not. Kind of makes sense. Didn't see any power
ratings
at the Belden site, but I seem to recall seeing ratings in the few
hundred W range.

RG-6 will take the legal limit on at least 80 and 160m and probably on
40m. It is available in direct burial type. The new, weather-proof
crimp
on connectors are wonderful.

Several companies make or sell the PL-251 to F connector adaptors.

W8JI had some informative technical posts on the subject on the topband
reflector a few months back.
Dave K8MN

I would think the power level would be more voltage limiated. Most of
the
rg6 is rated around 300 to 350 volts. This is about 1200 watts on a
matched
line. derate for a swr of say 3 or 4 to 1 and you get to run about 300 to
400 watts into it,

personally I dont consider it for ham work it appears too far out of
spec and cannot be gaurentead to be outdoor rated ie if ordered and
the supplier does not have they may send the wrong type. In a
warehouse you pay peanuts get monkeys. power wise take the 300 watts
and 1/2 it for safety limits.

The local Home Depot here sells RCA branded RG6 that is meant for outside
use. As far as power goes, skinny little RG174 is rated at ~200W. The RG6
has got to be at least that good.

Tam

FS: RG-223/U COAXIAL CABLE W6KRC Swap 0 November 18th 06 03:46 AM
FS: Coaxial Cable & Connectors AAA RF Products Boatanchors 0 May 12th 05 11:02 PM
FS: Coaxial Cable AAA RF Products Swap 0 May 12th 05 10:59 PM
FS: Mil Spec RG 223/U Coaxial Cable AAA RF PRODUCTS Homebrew 0 April 30th 05 12:17 AM
Coaxial Cable Question 69FLH Scanner 6 March 16th 05 09:57 AM