Old August 15th 04, 04:02 PM
Ralph Blach

Default Ideas for a home built 2meter/440 dual band base antenna

Does anybody have any good ideas for a good dual band
2 meter/440 antenna? This would be a base antenna and
should be capable of handling 200 watts.

Thanks

Chip
Old August 15th 04, 05:40 PM
Richard Heindel

This is a real easy antenna to make and works really well too.
http://www.arrowantennas.com/j-pole.html is the link that works.
73
Richard WB8KRN

From: Ralph Blach et
Date: 15, Sunday August, 2004 8:02 AM

A HREF="http://www.arrowantennas.com/j-pole.html"OSJ 146/440/A

Old August 15th 04, 07:27 PM
Dennis Kaylor

i would suggest going to www.ac6v.com and clicking on antenna projects
or do a google search for dual band Jpole or copper cactus
good luck

Old August 17th 04, 03:50 AM
Hal Rosser

I would be very tempted to try a discone in this case - just to say I made
one.
practically no gain - but I hear they have extremely good bandwidth - and
different enough to start interesting QSOs locally

"Ralph Blach" wrote in message
Does anybody have any good ideas for a good dual band
2 meter/440 antenna? This would be a base antenna and
should be capable of handling 200 watts.

Thanks

Chip

---

Old August 17th 04, 08:05 AM
Paul Jordan

I guess my question would be... WHY do you need 200 watts on 2 meters or
440mhz for that matter??

Old August 17th 04, 11:52 AM
Gary S.

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:05:16 -0800, Paul Jordan
wrote:

I guess my question would be... WHY do you need 200 watts on 2 meters or
440mhz for that matter??

Many repeaters work perfectly well with 75 to 100 watts.

To get better coverage in and out, altitude is your best bet. Our
club's repeater (actually both of these bands) is on top of a 6 story
building, and others in the area are located even higher above mean
ground level.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Old August 18th 04, 02:46 AM
Tom Ring

You are, of course, joking. Why wouldn't you want an antenna that
handles at least that? 200 watts is low power on VHF and up for many of us.

I would expect any fixed antenna system I use on 6 or 2 to handle full
legal limit, and 70cm to handle 500 watts minimum. I will admit you
normally wouldn't use vertical polarization with that much power, but I
still want my antenna/feed systems to handle it without a problem.

tom
K0TAR

Old August 18th 04, 07:17 AM
Paul Jordan

No, I'm not joking at all.. We use repeaters here in Alaska that are on
nice tall mountains all over the state. Check out the Arctic Amateur
Radio Club repeater page sometime. Thier repeaters system has over
60,000 square miles of coverage.. I can access any of thier repeaters
with a 5 watt handheld. My Icom 706 only has 10 watts on 2 meters and
I've never had a problem with reception or transmission into a repeater.

I guess we're just not into the long distance contacts you outsiders
like to do down there in the lower 48.

What's funny is, you can work satellites and space shuttles with 5 watts
and a hand held Yagi... I still can't see the need for all that power on
2 meters.. I guess if I need to reach out farther, I go HF..

That's what makes this hobby so interesting though, we all have
different interests.

Old August 18th 04, 03:04 PM
Vito

QRO is fine if you live in a thick rain forest and can't get your antenna up
over the treetops, or if you're using Morse or SSB to set a new distance
record, but otherwise, otherwise. Before PL tones became SOP my main
VHF/UHF problem was pulling up multiple repeaters with anything over 50
watts and even that was too much on some frequencies, so I learned to
strictly limit my power output. Nowdays most repeaters have PL tones that
prevent unwanted activation BUT using enough power to trigger them with the
tone means I'd be interfering with QSOs on them even with the PL off. If I
come up with a 100 watt signal, sans PL, but some OM close to the repeater
keys it up with a HT, my RF and voice is going to QRM his. Thats why my
VHF/UHF amps have gathered dust for over 10 years and my primary VHF/UHF rig
is a VX-2R.

73, K3DWW

"Tom Ring" wrote in message
. ..
200 watts is low power on VHF and up for many of us.