Old March 8th 10, 01:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default C Crane SW was not designed for DRM reception :No 12 kHz Output

I was thinking about getting a new C Crane SW so I can receive distant
digital radio monodiale radio stations, but I was reading somewhere
else that the portable radio receiver only has a 455 kHz output IF AM
jack. That got me disappointed, cause I have to get a down-converter
box or circuit to add to the radio receiver. C Crane should of
added 2 different jacks on the rear panel a 455 kHz output IF jack and
a 12 kHz AM IF output jack for just DRM reception from the computer.
I just wanted to let everyone know about this. I hope someone can
hear me on this and understand. That it's going to be challenging to
get the new DRM stations on this receiver without that converter
box. I want to share something with others who own the C Crane SW
which I will be getting soon is called the ESP converter box I hope
this helps new and old rec.radio.shortwave listeners with the
difficulty of getting DRM digital radio reception with the C Crane SW
or other receivers out there.

For DRM Converter Box

http://www.electronicspecialtyproducts.com/dm1.html

For Software and other nice goodies :

http://www.electronicspecialtyproducts.com/dm1.html

Happy DRM SW Listening and 73!

Adam E.

Old March 8th 10, 01:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 7, 7:02*pm, gccradioscience wrote:
[...]

For Software and Goodies
http://www.sat-schneider.de/DRM/DRM.htm Corrected URL
*
*

Old March 8th 10, 04:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 7, 4:18*pm, Bob Dobbs wrote:
gccradioscience wrote:
I hope
this helps new and old rec.radio.shortwave listeners with the
difficulty of getting DRM digital radio reception

I heard DRM is going the way of American HD-Radio,
only quicker?

--

Operator Bob
Echo Charlie 42

I certainly hope so!
Old March 8th 10, 05:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I have owned two C.Crane, Sangean radios before.The first one had the
AM/FM/TV/Weather stuff.I tried it out for one week, then I sent it back
to Fortuna.Then I tried out a Sangean AM/FM/Shortwave 909 for one week,
the most expensive model plus I paid them some extra money to tweak that
radio.I sent that one back to Fortuna too.
No more Sangeans for me! Unless I find one at the Goodwill store for a
dollar or two.
cuhulin

Old March 8th 10, 07:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010, gccradioscience wrote:

I was thinking about getting a new C Crane SW so I can receive distant
digital radio monodiale radio stations, but I was reading somewhere
else that the portable radio receiver only has a 455 kHz output IF AM
jack. That got me disappointed, cause I have to get a down-converter
box or circuit to add to the radio receiver.

There's a lot more use to a 455KHz out jack than a 12KHz out jack. An IF
out jack was never common, but neither were they completely rare. You'd
use it to add an SSB adapter or an FM detector. Or add an IF based
RTTY detector. Place it early enough in the IF chain (ie before the
filtering) and you could connect a panadaptor to see what was going on.
It was great for experimental use, since you could do all kinds of
modifications without having to modify the receiver.

Indeed, the one mod many might make was to add a jack to feed the 455KHz
IF out of the radio.

12KHz is pretty much for only one purpose, your DRM converter. Well there
are other uses, but might as well stick to the standard. Why should the
radio add another conversion stage to suit your needs, when it isn't
likely to be needed by many? The 455KHz jack adds little to the cost, but
saves you having to modify the radio. Anyone doing any playing around
would be capable of adding that conversion stage, if they needed it, to
any project that they wanted to tack onto the radio.

FOr instance, if I wanted to use that good 250KHz mechanical filter I have
lying around, I'd have to add a conversion stage to use it with just about
any radio. But with a 455KHz jack, I'd only have to convert to 250KHz.
If all the radio had was a 12KHz jack, something I don't need, I'd have to
convert that back up to 250KHz externally, adding another stage of
unwanted and unnneded conversion.

Michael

Old March 8th 10, 11:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 16:02:46 -0800 (PST), gccradioscience
wrote:

[...]

If you have a computer you could try a Ten Tec RX-320D black box
receiver which has the 12kHz connector built in. I just gave one away
to a friend. Mine was the older RX-320 which was easily modified for
DRM. Before I gave it to him I tried some DRM reception and it worked
well decoding China Radio relayed from Sackville (Canada) on 6080.
BUT.....

There are not too many DRM broadcasts out there. I tend to agree that
it is a mode that may not be around too long. But on the bright side
if you have a computer hooked to a radio you can decode lots of other
stuff. Digital and analog SSTV and PSK31 to name a few.

Jim
Old March 11th 10, 02:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 8, 1:02*pm, Michael Black wrote:
[...]

Michael, That sounds interesting. It sounds like someone could
write a book called Electronic Projects Using The IF Output Jack. FM
detector sounded interesting. Is there any 455 kHz to 12 kHz DRM
converters out there or can anyone could help me link to some.
Thanks.