Old October 16th 05, 05:05 PM
Bill Cohn

Default FS:Collins 30S-1 Linear Amplifier

Greetings,

I have a Collins 30S-1 Amplifier that was obtained from a Silent Key.

This is a Full Power 80-10 Meter Linear with a 4CX1000 as a Final.

The unit is currently wired for 240 Volts and looks to be in excellent
shape. I have not tried the unit as I do not have the required 240 volt
outlet. This unit will be sold As-Is and needs to be picked up locally
at my home in Schaumburg, IL, I will not ship the unit.

I am asking $850.00 and I know these go for over $2000.00 on E-bay.

The only thing I see wrong with the unit is the missing front door over
the power supply. This linear was in a custom made desk so the door was
removed and not saved by the original owner.

I have posted pictures on the web at:

http://billcohn1.home.comcast.net/Collins/Collins.htm

73 de N9MHT

I am good in the Callbook.

billcohn1 AT comcast DOT net

Old October 16th 05, 09:21 PM
Antonio Vernucci

I am asking $850.00 and I know these go for over $2000.00 on E-bay.

Sounds good price.

This reminds me what happened to me in 1969. I found a Collins 30-S1 at a local surplus store, good price but the front door was missing. One day after buying that amplifier, just when I was about to write Collins asking price for a spare door, I incredibly found the front door at another surplus store, and paid it 1000 liras (about 1$).

Unfortunately today it is no longer possible to write Collins in Cedar Rapids, IA.

That amplifier is still here, close to my chair.

73 from Rome Italy

I0JX, Tony

Old October 16th 05, 09:23 PM
Edward Knobloch

Hi, Bill

Just so you're aware, I want to mention that the 30S-1 door panel
normally pushes a shorting bar away from the HV capacitors.
The door safety switch also is in series with the "off" button
for the HV power supply, so provides a second line of safety.
(Removing the door panel is like pressing the HV "off" button
continuosly).

The shorting bar actuator is mounted on the same subpanel as the fuses.
I assume the prvious owner either defeated these safety features
or had some object in his desk console press against the shorting bar
extension.

Some people change the power transformer to increase the effective
screen to cathode voltage for the final tube, in order to get 1500W
output. In its stock form, the 30S-1 can only do about 1200 W output.

73,
Ed Knobloch

Old October 16th 05, 10:17 PM
Bill Cohn

Bill Cohn wrote:

[...]

Ed,

Thanks for the information. I was aware of the shorting switch. When the
amplifier was in the desk console the desk had a door. That door when
with the desk not the linear though.

73 de N9MHT Bill