Old December 2nd 04, 09:57 PM
DesignGuy

Default Unid 9870 KHz 1400 GMT

This morning just past 1400 GMT I heard a station on 9870 KHz with what
sounded like U.S. AM/FM station ads and promos. "KFI" was mentioned a few
times. Strong signal into KY, around +20. Was unable to stay tuned long
enough to get an ID.

Anyone heard this before?

Also had a weak het around 2135 GMT from LRA36/Antartica, 15476 KHz. Could
not pick up any audio.

Old December 2nd 04, 10:07 PM
dxAce

DesignGuy wrote:

This morning just past 1400 GMT I heard a station on 9870 KHz with what
sounded like U.S. AM/FM station ads and promos. "KFI" was mentioned a few
times. Strong signal into KY, around +20. Was unable to stay tuned long
enough to get an ID.

Anyone heard this before?

Also had a weak het around 2135 GMT from LRA36/Antartica, 15476 KHz. Could
not pick up any audio.

Not sure who the 9870 is. LRA36 typically operates from 1800-2100, Monday
through Friday.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 2nd 04, 10:47 PM
tommyknocker

DesignGuy wrote:

This morning just past 1400 GMT I heard a station on 9870 KHz with what
sounded like U.S. AM/FM station ads and promos. "KFI" was mentioned a few
times. Strong signal into KY, around +20. Was unable to stay tuned long
enough to get an ID.

Anyone heard this before?

Also had a weak het around 2135 GMT from LRA36/Antartica, 15476 KHz. Could
not pick up any audio.

KFI is an AM station in Los Angeles, on 640 khz. If that's what you
heard, it would be like a 14th harmonic or something, which would be
highly unusual but not unheard of.

Old December 2nd 04, 10:55 PM
dxAce

tommyknocker wrote:

DesignGuy wrote:

This morning just past 1400 GMT I heard a station on 9870 KHz with what
sounded like U.S. AM/FM station ads and promos. "KFI" was mentioned a few
times. Strong signal into KY, around +20. Was unable to stay tuned long
enough to get an ID.

Anyone heard this before?

Also had a weak het around 2135 GMT from LRA36/Antartica, 15476 KHz. Could
not pick up any audio.

KFI is an AM station in Los Angeles, on 640 khz. If that's what you
heard, it would be like a 14th harmonic or something, which would be
highly unusual but not unheard of.

Unfortunately 9870 doesn't work out to be any sort of harmonic of 640.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 3rd 04, 12:14 AM
DesignGuy

"tommyknocker" wrote in message
DesignGuy wrote:

This morning just past 1400 GMT I heard a station on 9870 KHz with what
sounded like U.S. AM/FM station ads and promos. "KFI" was mentioned a

few
times. Strong signal into KY, around +20. Was unable to stay tuned long
enough to get an ID.

Anyone heard this before?

Also had a weak het around 2135 GMT from LRA36/Antartica, 15476 KHz.

Could
not pick up any audio.

KFI is an AM station in Los Angeles, on 640 khz. If that's what you
heard, it would be like a 14th harmonic or something, which would be
highly unusual but not unheard of.

No I didn't think it was a harmonic, likely relayed or taped and
re-broadcast.

Old December 3rd 04, 03:43 AM
tommyknocker

dxAce wrote:

tommyknocker wrote:

DesignGuy wrote:

This morning just past 1400 GMT I heard a station on 9870 KHz with what
sounded like U.S. AM/FM station ads and promos. "KFI" was mentioned a few
times. Strong signal into KY, around +20. Was unable to stay tuned long
enough to get an ID.

Anyone heard this before?

Also had a weak het around 2135 GMT from LRA36/Antartica, 15476 KHz. Could
not pick up any audio.

KFI is an AM station in Los Angeles, on 640 khz. If that's what you
heard, it would be like a 14th harmonic or something, which would be
highly unusual but not unheard of.

Unfortunately 9870 doesn't work out to be any sort of harmonic of 640.

I didn't think so, but I didn't have a calculator handy to prove it.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 3rd 04, 02:01 PM
dxAce

DesignGuy wrote:

This morning just past 1400 GMT I heard a station on 9870 KHz with what
sounded like U.S. AM/FM station ads and promos. "KFI" was mentioned a few
times. Strong signal into KY, around +20. Was unable to stay tuned long
enough to get an ID.

Anyone heard this before?

I'm hearing Radio New Zealand coming up on 9870 at 1259, I'll check back at
1400. Perhaps they were running a program that you heard.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 3rd 04, 03:02 PM
dxAce

dxAce wrote:

DesignGuy wrote:

This morning just past 1400 GMT I heard a station on 9870 KHz with what
sounded like U.S. AM/FM station ads and promos. "KFI" was mentioned a few
times. Strong signal into KY, around +20. Was unable to stay tuned long
enough to get an ID.

Anyone heard this before?

I'm hearing Radio New Zealand coming up on 9870 at 1259, I'll check back at
1400. Perhaps they were running a program that you heard.

At 1400 I am still hearing Radio New Zealand putting in a good signal.

dxAce
Michigan
USA