Old February 7th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

Default APRS settings for long-distance train trip?

I'm getting ready to take a long-distance train trip

With very few exceptions, the route goes through VERY rural
countryside.

I've taken plenty of train trips before, but this will be my first trip
with an APRS setup onboard (GPS + Kenwood TH-D7A).

Any thoughts as to what is the best relay configuration (i.e. RELAY,
WIDE vs. WIDE2-2 vs. WIDE3-3)? My biggest objective is to hit as many
Internet gateways as frequently as possible. Not that interested in
having the APRS data propagate over a wide area via RF unless that's
necessary to make sure it hits an IGATE.

Thanks,

greg

Old February 7th 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc
Dick

On 6 Feb 2006 19:30:46 -0800, "
wrote:

I'm getting ready to take a long-distance train trip

With very few exceptions, the route goes through VERY rural
countryside.

I've taken plenty of train trips before, but this will be my first trip
with an APRS setup onboard (GPS + Kenwood TH-D7A).

Any thoughts as to what is the best relay configuration (i.e. RELAY,
WIDE vs. WIDE2-2 vs. WIDE3-3)? My biggest objective is to hit as many
Internet gateways as frequently as possible. Not that interested in
having the APRS data propagate over a wide area via RF unless that's
necessary to make sure it hits an IGATE.

Thanks,

greg

RELAY and WIDE are not used any longer. See why here
http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs/fix14439.html

Also, unless you have far better luck than me, your TH-D7 isn't going
to cut it. It's OK in a city, but when you get out in the sticks you
need POWER, and the TH-D7 isn't going to give it to you. Sometimes
even my D700A with external gain antenna won't reach a gateway. I
have stood in my front yard with my TH-D7, looking directly at the
mountain where the repeater is located, and been unable to connect
without moving around to different locations. Give it a try, but you
may be disappointed.

Dick - W6CCD
Old February 7th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

RELAY and WIDE are not used any longer. See why here

Yes, I realize that. How pervasive are the changes in the
"infrastructure" though? I.e. how many digipeaters understand the new
paradigm? A few? Most? All?

Also, unless you have far better luck than me, your TH-D7 isn't going

to cut it.

I have no illusions. This is an experiment more than anything.

Thanks,

greg

Old February 7th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc
Dick

On 7 Feb 2006 07:06:56 -0800, "
wrote:

RELAY and WIDE are not used any longer. See why here

Yes, I realize that. How pervasive are the changes in the
"infrastructure" though? I.e. how many digipeaters understand the new
paradigm? A few? Most? All?

Also, unless you have far better luck than me, your TH-D7 isn't going

to cut it.

I have no illusions. This is an experiment more than anything.

Thanks,

greg

Don't know Greg. You could probably get a lot of info on this by
searching through the archives of the ARES mail reflector.

Dick
Old February 7th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc
Steve Nosko

I believe lots do, so WIDWE1-1,WIDE2-2 is your best bet, but I found big
holes driving out west.

73, Steve, K9DCI

Old February 15th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc
Tony VE6MVP

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 22:03:01 -0700, Dick LeadWinger wrote:

t's OK in a city, but when you get out in the sticks you
need POWER, and the TH-D7 isn't going to give it to you. Sometimes
even my D700A with external gain antenna won't reach a gateway. I
have stood in my front yard with my TH-D7, looking directly at the
mountain where the repeater is located, and been unable to connect
without moving around to different locations. Give it a try, but you
may be disappointed.

The problem in your particular place might be that the mountain top
digipeater is hearing so many systems from so many places that yours
just isn't making it through. Especially if it can see other mountain
top digipeaters.

That said I would think Greg would be far better off if he could put
mag mount antenna on the top of the train. chuckle

Tony
Old February 15th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc
Dick

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 01:32:22 GMT, Tony VE6MVP
wrote:

[...]

That might be the case, but we are in a pretty remote area. There is
no question though, that a power increase takes care of the problem.
My experience with the D7 includes a lot of travel in the west
(Arizona, Utah, Nevada) The ability to connect with a digipeater was
few and far between with the D7. Going to the D700 makes all the
difference.

Dick
Old February 17th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

That said I would think Greg would be far better off if he could put mag mount antenna on the top of the train.

Nothin' doin'. Amtrak's Superliners are all-aluminum.

Here is a map of where I was able to make contact (circles with dots)
with an APRS/IGATE digipeater on my trip. More than I thought, not as
much as could be optimum. This was using a stock TH-D7A(G) with the
stock antenna:

http://www.littlebear.com/TrainAPRS1.jpg

Here is a picture of my room/shack with the getup. Sorry about the
resolution, I took it with my Motorola cell phone. Above my PowerBook
is the Kenwood TH-D7A(G), to its left are the two GPS' (Garmin M5 and
60CS). You can see the GPS antennas on the window to the left of the
GPS' too.

greg

Old February 17th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

oops, second picture is he

http://www.littlebear.com/TrainAPRS2.jpg

greg