Old January 30th 17, 07:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [KB6NU] Let the walrus help you copy in your head

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Let the walrus help you copy in your head

I often say that to copy Morse Code faster you have to learn to copy in
your head. Of course, theÂ*question is how do you do this? To help you learn
how to copy in your head, Zeb, HB9FXW, has created Seiuchy, a free online
QSO simulator.

The trick to using Seiuchy is that instead of copying exactly whats sent,
you only copy the most important bit of information. The idea is that is
you train yourself to do this, then you can concentrate on whats important
rather than getting bogged down in copying whats not important. Take a look
at the screen shot below.

If you look at the bottom of the screenshot, the table lists what was sent,
and what its asking you to copy. For example, Seiuchy sent the string, CQ
DE RW3BB RW3BB PSE K. The important bit of information in this string is
the callsign RW3BB, which I correctly copied.

As you can see from the settings portion of the screen shot, you can sent
the sidetone frequency, the speed at which you want Seiuchy to send you
code, and the volume of the sound. Start out slow, then crank it up as you
get better.

I asked Zeb where the name Seiuchy came from and he told me, It comes from
Seiuchi, the Japanese word for walrus, which in turn is translated into
Morse in French. I pronounce is as you would say-you-she (but with kind of
a French accent).

On his QRZ.Com page, Zeb says, Give it a try, its really helping my head
copy skills. I think it will help you, too.

The post Let the walrus help you copy in your head appeared first on KB6NUs
Ham Radio Blog.