Old November 21st 05, 02:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
toyota58

Default Icom IC-718 for SWL ?

Hi,

I need some advice. I'm thinking of getting a used Icom IC-718 for my
short wave listening. Is this a good radio compared to Icom IC-R75 ?
FYI Icom IC-718 is a HF amateur radio transceiver.

Thank You.

..

Old November 21st 05, 03:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Buzzygirl

I need some advice. I'm thinking of getting a used Icom IC-718 for my
short wave listening. Is this a good radio compared to Icom IC-R75 ?
FYI Icom IC-718 is a HF amateur radio transceiver.

Yes, with a decent antenna (as with all good receivers) it's a very good SW
receiver. I used mine for shortwave listening many evenings.

The bonus with this model is if you are an amateur radio operator, or ever
decide to become one, it is also a very good transceiver. I bought an IC-718
just after I got my General amateur radio license, and I nabbed over 100 DX
contacts within the first 6 months of its purchase.

The receiver aspect on this transceiver appears to be much the same as the
R75 in terms of interface, if not the same.

Jackie

Old November 22nd 05, 06:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
raoul

In article , Buzzygirl
wrote:

I need some advice. I'm thinking of getting a used Icom IC-718 for my
short wave listening. Is this a good radio compared to Icom IC-R75 ?
FYI Icom IC-718 is a HF amateur radio transceiver.

Yes, with a decent antenna (as with all good receivers) it's a very good SW
receiver. I used mine for shortwave listening many evenings.

The bonus with this model is if you are an amateur radio operator, or ever
decide to become one, it is also a very good transceiver. I bought an IC-718
just after I got my General amateur radio license, and I nabbed over 100 DX
contacts within the first 6 months of its purchase.

The receiver aspect on this transceiver appears to be much the same as the
R75 in terms of interface, if not the same.

The minus is that it takes a 12 volt supply @ 30 or so amps. A smaller
supply could be used if transmitting was not anticipated but, in tthat
case, why not just get a SW receiver only? The external supply is bulky
and the wires are kind of ungainly but that is what needs to be put up
with for transmitting.

Alsom when figuring the "real" price of a IC-718, remember to add the
price of the power supply. You might find that something on the order
of an Icom R75 or a Yaesu FRG-100 would end up cheaper (and equal
quality for receiving) when the power supply is figured it, The
receivers just plug into the wall...

Jackie

Old November 23rd 05, 03:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Rob

The TRUTH is it takes a 20 amp supply unless you buy a cheap ass radio shack
or pyramid power supply ....20 amps is what you need if you want to
transmit.

2 amps will get you recieve only.

The Icom R-75 and the Yaesu FRG100 wont plug into the wall unless you want
to see lots of smoke and fire! They are both 12 volt radio's.

They both take a small 1.5 amp supply as well.....What this guy dont tell
you is that a wall wart...or a small plug in supply usually means lots of
NOISE in the reciever

A well made supply like ASTRON or even a battery works best if your serious
listener!!

The same 12 volt 1.5 amp cheapo supplies would work great with the Icom 718
if its recieve only so you DONT need to figure in a big 100$ supply but you
could always add that later and get your ham ticket?

Old November 23rd 05, 05:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Buzzygirl

"Rob" wrote in message
The TRUTH is it takes a 20 amp supply unless you buy a cheap ass radio

shack
or pyramid power supply ....20 amps is what you need if you want to
transmit.

Yes, since I used my IC-718 for transmitting as well as listening, I needed
a good power supply and my local dealer recommended a Samlex 1223 (23 amp
supply)... no problems, no noise, worked great... I think it cost me $100,
if I recall correctly. It has a very small footprint, and is very light.

The Astrons are also decent power supplies. The reason I chose the 1223 over
an Astron was because I had limited space in my radio room at the time and
the Astrons sold at my local dealer were larger and cost more $$.

Jackie

Old November 25th 05, 03:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
raoul

In article , Rob
wrote:

The TRUTH is it takes a 20 amp supply unless you buy a cheap ass radio shack
or pyramid power supply ....20 amps is what you need if you want to
transmit.

Whatever. I bought a 30 amp Astron to go with my HF rigs because I
wanted to run a VHF rig as well. I would have purchased a 50 amp if
the price difference would not have been so much.

2 amps will get you recieve only.

The Icom R-75 and the Yaesu FRG100 wont plug into the wall unless you want
to see lots of smoke and fire! They are both 12 volt radio's.

I stand corrected.

They both take a small 1.5 amp supply as well.....What this guy dont tell
you is that a wall wart...or a small plug in supply usually means lots of
NOISE in the reciever

It could. Icom provides an AC supply and I would expect it to provide
clean power.

A well made supply like ASTRON or even a battery works best if your serious
listener!!

The same 12 volt 1.5 amp cheapo supplies would work great with the Icom 718
if its recieve only so you DONT need to figure in a big 100$ supply but you
could always add that later and get your ham ticket?

So, cheap supplies are OK? Or not?

Old November 25th 05, 05:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article ,
raoul wrote:

In article , Rob
wrote:

[...]

"raoul" wrote in message
In article , Buzzygirl
wrote:

[...]

Price is not a the factor to look at, it's the type that counts. You
want a linear supply not a switching supply. In addition you want the
linear supply to have by passed rectifiers. One thing to look for is to
see if the supply has a ground pin on the AC power plug. Having that
ground pin means it could have better front end filtering.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old May 17th 17, 01:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Monday, November 21, 2005 at 12:01:13 AM UTC-2, toyota58 wrote:
Hi,

I need some advice. I'm thinking of getting a used Icom IC-718 for my
short wave listening. Is this a good radio compared to Icom IC-R75 ?
FYI Icom IC-718 is a HF amateur radio transceiver.

Thank You.

.

Yes, it is. I have both the R75 and IC-718 and I find the 718's reception better. It has lower noise floor. In fact, the R75 disappointed me a lot in this regard. I compared it to a DEGEN DE1103, a Sony ICF-2010 and a Panasonic DR49 and they all beat the R75 hands down regarding noise floor. For me, all those bells and whistles of the R75 won't matter if the main thing doesn't help. After sometime dxing with the R75 I missed the 718's bassy and rich sound. I use the same external speaker as well as the same antennas, which have pre-selectors, therefore are fully compatible with both radios. Now I'm using my 718 as my main receiver and I'm thinking of either trading or selling my R75, since I have an Icom IC-R20 scanner. I've just acquired an SDRplay RSP2 and it may arrive by the end of the week. If it confirms the good reviews I've been reading about, I may spend my time dxing via SDR.
Old May 17th 17, 06:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
says...

[...]

I've seen a few R-75's that had a faulty power supply. A clean one is
IMHO, as clean as the 718. I also do like the sound of the 718 better.

--
BDK: Head Government Shill, Psychotronic World Dominator. Master of
Remote Viewing. Level 7 expert in kOOkStudies.
Old May 17th 17, 04:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Tue, 16 May 2017, wrote:

[...]

And how is this useful, 12 years after the question was asked?

The guy has long ago made some decision, without your help. Or maybe he
gave up the hobby completely, a lot can change in 12 years, including what
receiver to buy. He may no longer be interested, or other options are out
there, but he sure isn't still here.

Michael