Old May 5th 04, 03:04 AM
Jim

Default Scanners and Customs

Planning a trip to an airshow in Canada this summer. Wondering if any
problems are known to exist using a portable scanner in Canada or with
Customs entering from or departing to the USA via automobile.

Old May 5th 04, 04:58 AM
Steve St. Denis

Just make sure you declare you are bringing the radio into Canada and have
the bill of sale with you just in case the customs officers ask you where
you bought it, you shoud have no problem. Best thing to do is just go to the
customs office or call them on the phone and talk to them directly then you
get the information from the customs people.
Steve

Old May 9th 04, 02:31 AM
WG

Scanners are legal in Canada but if yours is digital capable then you have
to have a Ham license.

Old May 9th 04, 11:52 AM
Jim

On Sun, 09 May 2004 01:31:03 GMT, "WG" wrote:

Scanners are legal in Canada but if yours is digital capable then you have
to have a Ham license.

Not being a techie I'm somewhat unfamiliar with the differences
between analog and digital when it comes to internal circuitry.

From age alone I'm guessing my Radio Shack Pro-60 to be analog.

Old May 12th 04, 07:39 AM
Mediaguy500

Planning a trip to an airshow in Canada this summer. Wondering if any
problems are known to exist using a portable scanner in Canada or with
Customs entering from or departing to the USA via automobile

I only know what happened to me. Going on aa trip to Canada, after examing the
two radios I had with me, after asking me about them and me telling them (the
border patrol) about them, they let me take the scanner across, but wouldn't
let me take my shortwave radio across and told me radios that tune between 1620
khz and 30 mhz are illegal in Canada, and that shortwave radios are ilegal in
Canada, and then they confiscated my shortwave radio.

They also told me that I would get it back when I came back across the border
back into the U.S. However, I never got it back when I came back across and
wasn't able to because it had been confiscated as "illegal goods".

Old May 12th 04, 03:49 PM
Dave Holford

Mediaguy500 wrote:

Planning a trip to an airshow in Canada this summer. Wondering if any
problems are known to exist using a portable scanner in Canada or with
Customs entering from or departing to the USA via automobile

I only know what happened to me. Going on aa trip to Canada, after examing the
two radios I had with me, after asking me about them and me telling them (the
border patrol) about them, they let me take the scanner across, but wouldn't
let me take my shortwave radio across and told me radios that tune between 1620
khz and 30 mhz are illegal in Canada, and that shortwave radios are ilegal in
Canada, and then they confiscated my shortwave radio.

They also told me that I would get it back when I came back across the border
back into the U.S. However, I never got it back when I came back across and
wasn't able to because it had been confiscated as "illegal goods".

What a fascinating story.

There are no restrictions on short wave radios, even ham transmitters
are not subject to any Canadian Customs restrictions and are freely
traded across the border.

What uniform were they wearing - Canada has no Border Patrol.

Dave
Old May 12th 04, 04:14 PM
Donald K

Mediaguy500 wrote:

I only know what happened to me. Going on aa trip to Canada, after
examing the
two radios I had with me, after asking me about them and me telling
them (the border patrol) about them, they let me take the scanner
across, but wouldn't let me take my shortwave radio across and told me
radios that tune between 1620 khz and 30 mhz are illegal in Canada,
and that shortwave radios are ilegal in Canada, and then they
confiscated my shortwave radio.

They also told me that I would get it back when I came back across the
border
back into the U.S. However, I never got it back when I came back
across and wasn't able to because it had been confiscated as "illegal
goods".

Sounds like somebody wanted a shortwave radio...

-D
--
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy
enough people to make it worth the effort." -Herm Albright
Old May 12th 04, 07:18 PM
Mediaguy500

Sounds like somebody wanted a shortwave radio...

exactly. but a little bit more than that. Somebody wanted MY shortwave radio.

However, I am sure that the people who took it were from right here in the
U.S., not from Canada.

But it happened near the U.S./Canada border while taking a trip to Canada.