Old October 23rd 04, 06:28 PM
Crazy George

The mast is just as much a problem as the feedline, and difficult to coil up.

--
Crazy George
Remove N O and S P A M imbedded in return address
"Theplanters95" wrote in message ...
If the radials are to decouple feedline radiation, then why wouldn't coax
coiled into a choke balun work? Maybe 6 or 10 turns at about 5 or 6 inches?

Randy

Old October 24th 04, 04:01 AM
Howard

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 21:04:21 GMT, "NN7KexNOSPAMk7zfg"
wrote:

Howard wrote:
On 23 Oct 2004 04:27:21 GMT, ospam
(Theplanters95) wrote:

If the radials are to decouple feedline radiation, then why wouldn't coax
coiled into a choke balun work? Maybe 6 or 10 turns at about 5 or 6 inches?

Randy

You could give it a try and see how it works for you, definitely
simple to do. Just because Cushcraft uses the 1/4 wave coax & radials
doesn't make that the 'only' solution. Another possibility is a
ferrite balun; type 43 ferrite torroids with an ID to provide a snug
fit over the coax. This approach is shown on some of the variation of
the J-pole so if you do a search for that antenna you may find a
starting point for the number/size of the torroids.

Howard
KE6something or other

Also, consider that those radials arn't there just to decouple the coax!
they are also there to form a 1/4 wave ground radial, 1/2 wave down the pipe
to form a counterpoise for the Ringo- Something that the toroid would NOT do,
if memory serves me correctly!
Jim NN7K

Hadn't fully looked at that aspect as this antenna is billed as a 1/2
wave not requiring a ground plane. Your memory does serve you
correctly though; the toroids, or a choke balun, would not perform
that function. Those I know who've used this antenna fall in two
camps, with no middle ground, some swear by it and others say it's a
nice antenna to use to mount their 1/4 wave verticals. Can't say from
direct experience though as I've never used one. For verticals I've
only used 1/4 and 5/8 wave antenna's and those have been home brewed
so easily I couldn't bring myself to pay for one.

Thanks for the added perspective Jim,
Howard KE6MAK

Old October 24th 04, 04:20 AM
NN7Kex

Howard wrote:

Hadn't fully looked at that aspect as this antenna is billed as a 1/2
wave not requiring a ground plane. Your memory does serve you
correctly though; the toroids, or a choke balun, would not perform
that function. Those I know who've used this antenna fall in two
camps, with no middle ground, some swear by it and others say it's a
nice antenna to use to mount their 1/4 wave verticals. Can't say from
direct experience though as I've never used one. For verticals I've
only used 1/4 and 5/8 wave antenna's and those have been home brewed
so easily I couldn't bring myself to pay for one.

Thanks for the added perspective Jim,
Howard KE6MAK

Howard- one other perspective-- ' twas at ARRL convention , Many moons
ago, in Seattle (home of AEA , at that time)- They were selling their "NEW"
Isopole sntenna" . One of their bigger selling points was " NO extra radiation
from their antenna And, with a loop, and a # 43 lamp, demonstrated, side by
side with the Ringo Ranger --, and the lamp lite brightly, next to feedline, and
the MAST of it, while NO Light was exhibited from the feed, or mast of the Isopole.
This showed that there was no "Wasted power", Wrongful radiation from the coax
or mast to screw up the antenna pattern, and it was only a short time thereafter
that Cushcraft introduced the model II, with the ground radial on present day
versions! That was their answer to the problem of getting a consistant pattern
from these antennas! NN7K

--
To reply, remove the NOSPAM