Old March 16th 04, 11:25 PM
Radiohead

Default Indoor SW antennas with Kenwood R5000

I am a relative newbie to the world of SW.

I've just taken possession of a second-hand Kenwood R5000 comms receiver. It
looks like a very nice piece of kit. It's not really practical for me to rig
an outside antenna system at the moment, but I have heard that you can get
SW antennas designed for indoor use. Can anyone recommend any? I am in the
UK.

And if anyone has any thoughts on the R5000, feel free.

Old March 18th 04, 02:55 AM
Dave Holford

Radiohead wrote:

I am a relative newbie to the world of SW.

I've just taken possession of a second-hand Kenwood R5000 comms receiver. It
looks like a very nice piece of kit. It's not really practical for me to rig
an outside antenna system at the moment, but I have heard that you can get
SW antennas designed for indoor use. Can anyone recommend any? I am in the
UK.

And if anyone has any thoughts on the R5000, feel free.

I used one for some time in an antenna restricted area and had very good
results with both DATONG AD-370 and DRESSLER ARA-30 active antennas
mounted in the attic.

There are some terrible junk gadgets sold as active antennas but these
have been so good to me that they are now mounted outdoors and are
coming up on 20years continuous service.

The DATONG is a dipole configuration and DATONG makes some really good
stuff but appear to have moved to the professional surveillance field so
I don't know if their antennas are still available at a good price. They
are a UK company so you might look around.

The DRESSLER is a short fireglas whip and a quick check shows DRESSLER
active antennas at www.hamradio.co.uk and several other sites; although
the ARA-30 is probably not available any more, the ARA-40 and ARA-60
appear to be more modern versions.

I have had many years of enjoyment with my R-5000 and those antennas.

Good luck
Dave
Old March 18th 04, 10:15 AM
RHF

RH,
..
You may wish to 'join' the "Kenwood R-5000" eGroup on YAHOO !
Kenwood R-5000 is the 'last and the best' of the Full
Coverage Communications Receivers made by Kenwood.
..
ABOUT - The Kenwood R-5000 Receiver - Sources on the Internet
READ= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kenwood-r5000/message/619
..
..
Concerning the Topic of In-Door, Attic and Hidden Antennas.
Take a look at the Shortwave-SWL-Antenna eGroup on YAHOO !
..
A Compilation "Stealth" [HIDDEN] Antennas
HIDDEN= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/721
..
Simple In-Door Antennas for Consumer Multi-Band AM/FM/SW Radios
INDOOR= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/393
..
A Compilation "In-the-ATTIC" Antennas
ATTIC= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/426
..
REMEMBER: "The AM/MW, FM & Shortwave Antenna is 55.5% of . . .
the Radio/Receiver and the Antenna & Ground Reception Equation"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/288
A Shortwave Antenna is "Equally" Important for Good Reception [.]
..
..
iane ~ RHF
..
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night...
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond, The Beyond !
..
..
= = = ...

Old March 18th 04, 04:24 PM
Radiohead

"Radiohead" wrote in message
I am a relative newbie to the world of SW.

I've just taken possession of a second-hand Kenwood R5000 comms receiver.

It
looks like a very nice piece of kit. It's not really practical for me to

rig
an outside antenna system at the moment, but I have heard that you can get
SW antennas designed for indoor use. Can anyone recommend any? I am in the
UK.

And if anyone has any thoughts on the R5000, feel free.

Thanks to Dave and RHF for your informative and helpful replies. One
question to Dave - I realise this will may seem a silly question but why do
you use two aerials? Do they have different characteristics, or maybe you
use them for different frequency ranges?

Radiohead.

Old March 19th 04, 01:55 AM
Dave Holford

Radiohead wrote:

"Radiohead" wrote in message
I am a relative newbie to the world of SW.

I've just taken possession of a second-hand Kenwood R5000 comms receiver.

It
looks like a very nice piece of kit. It's not really practical for me to

rig
an outside antenna system at the moment, but I have heard that you can get
SW antennas designed for indoor use. Can anyone recommend any? I am in the
UK.

And if anyone has any thoughts on the R5000, feel free.

Thanks to Dave and RHF for your informative and helpful replies. One
question to Dave - I realise this will may seem a silly question but why do
you use two aerials? Do they have different characteristics, or maybe you
use them for different frequency ranges?

Radiohead.

I currently have 15 aerials/antennas - 5 in the attic, two on the
chimney, three on the tower and rest sort of spread-around the yard.

I use them for different frequency ranges and radiation angles - short
range HF is best at high angles whereas long range HF is best at low
angles of radiation. 7 are transceive and the others receive only.

Actually I have 16 since one feedline also has a relay box to select a
short whip or a horizontal wire. And mine are all pretty simple ones,
none-of the really complex high gain stuff that people with lots of
space can install.

Antennas are fun and challenging, easy and cheap to make, arguably the
most important single contributer to a communications link. Improvement
to your antenna system will almost always far outperform any improvement
to the receiver that you can perform for the same amount of money and
effort.

Dave

Old March 19th 04, 06:11 PM
Radiohead

"Dave Holford" wrote in message

Radiohead wrote:

[...]

Hi Dave

I had a look at www.hamradio.co.uk and read about the Dresslers, which look
good. I then found that the dealer (Martin Lynch) is located quite near to
my house, which is very convenient!

I phoned him up to see if he had any Dresslers in stock. He does, but
interestingly he recommended another antenna which he thought would be
better for my purposes - the Miracle Whip. He also stocks them.

They seem really good - easy to connect and don't require any power supply.
Have you or anyone else had any experience with these?

http://www.miracleantenna.com/MiracleWhip.html

Old March 19th 04, 06:49 PM
Paul_Morphy

"Radiohead" wrote in message

They seem really good - easy to connect and don't require any power

supply.
Have you or anyone else had any experience with these?

http://www.miracleantenna.com/MiracleWhip.html

I think you'd do as well with a piece of wire. You only need a tuned antenna
when you are using a transmitter, that requires an impedance-matched load.
These antennas would be okay for toting a receiver around with you. I have a
broadband rubber-duck antenna on my Yupiteru radio, so I can listen to SWBC
while holding the radio. But 10 feet (~ 3 m) of wire works just as well.
Spend your money on postage for requesting QSL cards.

"PM"

Old March 19th 04, 07:28 PM
Dave Holford

Radiohead wrote:

[...]

The Miracle Whip is designed for use with transmitters, the controls
match the antenna to the transmitter output impedance for maximum
transmitter power output - for a receiver I doubt you would notice a lot
of difference on the HF bands between it and a few feet of wire.

By the way - don't try to transmit with a Dressler or similar active
antenna, you will cook it! With a very few exceptions active antennas
are for receiver only.

Dave
Old March 20th 04, 03:06 AM
RHF

RH,

About the use of Two (2) InDoor Antennas with the Kenwood R-5000.

Most people have an 'interested' in AM/MW Band and/or the Shortwave
Bands.

When you are limited to using an Indoor Antenna then the Physical
Size Limits of an Indoor Antenna can make it harder to have one
Antenna that does it all for the Kenwood R-5000.

For Indoor Antennas, consider using one Antenna for the Shortwave
Bands and another Antenna for the AM/MW Band. Loop Antennas
generally are lower noise and work well as InDoor Antennas.

Two Commercial (Ready Made) Loop Antennas that many people like
are the Sony AN-LP1 for the Shortwave Bands and the C.Crane
{Justice} Antenna for the AM/MW Band.
Both of these Antennas will work with the Kenwood R-5000.

THE HOOK-UP - With the Kenwood R-5000 you could have the Sony AN-LP1
connected to the ANT#1 SO-239 Jack and the CCrane connected to the
ANT#2 Terminals.

THE "DO-IT-YOURSELF" ALTERNATIVE: {Home Made Loop Antennas}
READ- The Right Loop Type for the Right Band
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/loopantennas/message/1507

* Build a basic Box (16"-24") Loop Antenna for the AM/MW Band
to use with the Kenwood R-5000.
- Back-of-the-Door as a "Super Loop" Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/loopantennas/message/1314
- Homebrew Box Loop Antenna
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx.../homeloop.html
- AMANDX - Unamplified Three or Four Foot Box Loop Antenna
presented by Shawn Axelrod [VE4DX1SMA]
http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/loop.html

* Build a simple Shield Coax Loop Antenna for the Shortwave Bands
to use with the Kenwood R-5000.
READ - The Low Noise Receive ONLY Coax Loop Antennas
for 160-10 Meter Bands.
SW-LOOP= http://www.greertech.com/hfloop/mymagloop.html
- Website presented by "ProgMan22000" (GreerTech.Com)

READ - Dressler ARA60S -&- LF Engeering H-800 SkyMatch
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/245

READ - Select-A-Tenna -=V=- MFJ-956
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/239
Use the Select-A-Tenna for the AM/MW Band and use the MFJ-956
for the Shortwave Bands is another possible InDoor "Dual"
Antenna Solution.

READ - Antenna Tuner / Pre-Selector = The 'little' Box that May Help !

MFJ-956 "INDOOR" ACTIVE ANTENNA & PRE-SELECTOR + PLUS !
For a low cost INDOOR Antenna solution consider using the MFJ-956
Active Antenna with an On-the-Window Antenna. Couple the MFJ-956
(Multi-Use-Active-Antennas) with the a simple Random Wire Antenna
that is folded into an On-the-Window Spiral.
[Photo Album] "WINDOW" On-the-Window Antennas
Usually next to a Window is the best 'location' (Higher Signal
Levels with Lower Noise Levels) that can be found for any InDoor
Antennas. This is the so called OutSide [In-Doors] Antenna.

ABOUT - The Vertical "Spiral" On-the-Window Random Wire Antenna:
Use a Thin #28-36 Magnet Wire or #30 Insulated Kynar Wire Wrapping
Wire taped directly to the Window with Clear Scotch Tape.
Start with the Wire Antenna Element spaced 3" from the Edges of
the Window and then use a Space of 1" in between wire element runs.

QUESTION - IS AN "ATTIC" ANTENNA POSSIBLE AT YOUR LOCATION.

READ - "Snake-in-the-Attic" SWL Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/313
Use a 'direct' "F" Connector to PL-259 Plug to the SO-239
LO-Z (50 Ohm) Jack. RadioShack Catalog # 278-258C
This can plug into the Kenwood R-5000 Receiver or into the
MFJ-956 Active Antenna / Pre-Selector.
..
..
REMEMBER: "The AM/MW and Shortwave Antenna is 55.5% . . .
of the Radio/Receiver and Antenna/Ground Reception Equation"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/288
A Shortwave Antenna is "Equally" Important for Good Reception [.]
..
..
iane ~ RHF
..
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night...
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond - The Beyond !
..
..
= = = "Radiohead" wrote in message
= = = ...

Old March 20th 04, 10:22 AM
RHF

RH,

The Miracle Whip Antenna is a 'nice idea' but you could do
better for the money and have greater flexibility in your
Antenna Options.
MWA= http://www.miracleantenna.com/MiracleWhip.html

Vice the Miracle Whip Antenna consider:

MFJ-956 {Passive} Pre-Selector -&- Antenna Tuner greatly
improves reception from 150 kHz to 30 MHz (especially
below 2 MHz). The MFJ-956 has Tuner, Bypass and Ground;
Antenna to Receiver positions. Use the MFJ-956 with an
InDoor or OutSide Random Wire or Loop Antenna.
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...prodid=MFJ-956

MFJ-1045 Receiver Pre-Selector for the Shortwave Bands 1.8 MHz
to 54 MHz. This Active Pre-Selector amplifies weak signals and
helps to Reject out-of-band signals and images. The MFJ-1045
has variable RF Gain up to 20 dB. Pre-Amplifier has a Dual Gate
MOSFET, bipolar transistors for low noise, high gain. The MFJ-1045
External Connections for 2 Antennas, 2 Receivers for both Coax
SO-239 Jacks and RCA Phone Jacks. Also has a ON-OFF/By-Pass
Switch for 'direct' Antenna to Receiver Hook-Up. Use the
MFJ-0145 with an InDoor or OutSide Random Wire or Loop Antenna.
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...odid=MFJ-1045C

MFJ-1020 InDoor Active Antenna for both the AM/MW Band and the
Shortwave Bands. (Covers 300 kHz to 40 MHz in five bands.)
Has a built-in 20 inch (50 cm) telescopic antenna. Plus an
auxiliary SO-239 Antenna Jack is provided. When using an
External Antenna, the MFJ-1020 functions as a Pre-Selector.
The MFJ-1020 front controls include: RF Gain, Band Selector,
Tune and ON/OFF-By-Pass. The MFJ-1020 also has a wing-nut
for a separate Ground Connection on the rear panel. Use the
MFJ-1020 with the builtin WhipAntenna or use an InDoor or
OutSide Random Wire or Loop Antenna.
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...odid=MFJ-1020C
..
..
REMEMBER: "The AM/MW and Shortwave Antenna is 55.5% . . .
of the Radio/Receiver and Antenna/Ground Reception Equation"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/288
A Shortwave Antenna is "Equally" Important for Good Reception [.]
..
..
iane ~ RHF
..
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night...
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond - The Beyond !
..
..
= = = ...