Old October 18th 04, 06:08 PM
N2EY

Default Designed And Built By PROFESSIONALS....

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/10182004_bb_tv.html
Old October 18th 04, 06:42 PM
KØHB

"N2EY" wrote

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/10182004_bb_tv.html

Jim,

Are you suggesting that Toshiba should employ non-professional amateur
engineers to build their TV's to avoid this problem?

Or are you suggesting that even professionally designed equipment may
sometimes fail and generate a "birdie" at 121.5 or 243.0?

Or were you just trolling?

73, de K0HB
--
My name is Hans and I improved this message.

Old October 18th 04, 11:27 PM
Dan/W4NTI

Was not the Titanic designed and built by professionals?

Dan/W4NTI

"KØHB" wrote in message
k.net...

"N2EY" wrote

Old October 18th 04, 11:57 PM
N2EY

In article t, "KØHB"
writes:

N2EY" wrote

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/10182004_bb_tv.html

Jim,

Are you suggesting that Toshiba should employ non-professional amateur
engineers to build their TV's to avoid this problem?

Or are you suggesting that even professionally designed equipment may
sometimes fail and generate a "birdie" at 121.5 or 243.0?

The latter, Hans.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old October 19th 04, 12:45 AM
KØHB

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote

Was not the Titanic designed and built by professionals?

I'm sure it was, Dan. Do you know of any ocean liners designed and
built by amateurs? (Please spare us the cult fable of Noahs ark.)

73, de K0HB
--
My name is Hans and I improved this message.

Old October 19th 04, 01:13 AM
William

"KØHB" wrote in message nk.net...
"N2EY" wrote

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/10182004_bb_tv.html

Jim,

Are you suggesting that Toshiba should employ non-professional amateur
engineers to build their TV's to avoid this problem?

Or are you suggesting that even professionally designed equipment may
sometimes fail and generate a "birdie" at 121.5 or 243.0?

Or were you just trolling?

73, de K0HB

He didn't make any comment whatsoever. We'll have to wait for Darkguard.
Old October 19th 04, 02:07 AM
Jim Hampton

"KØHB" wrote in message nk.net...
"N2EY" wrote

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/10182004_bb_tv.html

Jim,

Are you suggesting that Toshiba should employ non-professional amateur
engineers to build their TV's to avoid this problem?

Or are you suggesting that even professionally designed equipment may
sometimes fail and generate a "birdie" at 121.5 or 243.0?

Or were you just trolling?

73, de K0HB

Hello, Hans

C'mon, you know better than that. Perhaps the point is that equipment
sold in the United States is *supposed* to be (and likely was) checked
for radiated emissions. In my opinion, it should also be checked for
radiated immunity, but that's another story. Also, conducted
emissions are checked and now they even check if a system is
distorting the AC mains! That was coming on line when I left the test
lab in 1996.

Of course, commercial equipment can and does fail at times. I
remember we blew out the power supply of a monitor when we were
irradiating the device under test with 3 v/m unmodulated rf at around
220 MHz. The picture started to tear and then the breaker tripped.
Couldn't get it going again.

The FCC is preoccupied with authorizing BPL and as long as government
communications don't get hosed, they don't care. Apparently, however,
they don't like false signals being sent on distress frequencies.
They should stop being a mouthpiece for the current administration and
power companies and get back to trying to make the airwaves a viable
shared service for all.

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA
Old October 19th 04, 02:16 AM
Robert Casey

KØHB wrote:

Jim,

Are you suggesting that Toshiba should employ non-professional amateur
engineers to build their TV's to avoid this problem?

Or are you suggesting that even professionally designed equipment may
sometimes fail and generate a "birdie" at 121.5 or 243.0?

Turns out that 121.5 is the 9th harmonic and 243 the 18th
harmonic of a commonly used digital TV sampling frequency
of 13.5MHz, used in DVD players. Some shielding inside
must have come apart in that TV. And the errant signal
travel up to an antenna or cable connection to leak out.
This has been a concern in the digital TV manufacturing
community.

Old October 19th 04, 02:16 AM
KØHB

"Jim Hampton" wrote

C'mon, you know better than that. Perhaps the point is that equipment
sold in the United States is *supposed* to be (and likely was) checked
for radiated emissions.

Of course I know better than that!

And so does Jim.

A single example of this product developed some sort of birdie/spur on
121.5. Nothing more, nothing less.

Of course the story makes good news copy on a slow day, but it's hardly
a remarkable incident, and certainly not a reason to make snide innuendo
about "Designed And Built By PROFESSIONALS". Neither is it a reasonable
basis for a jeremiad about the FCC shirking their responsibilities.

Sheeeeesh!

73, de K0HB
--
My name is Hans and I improved this message.

Old October 19th 04, 03:27 AM
Leo

On 18 Oct 2004 22:57:00 GMT, PAMNO (N2EY) wrote:

In article t, "KØHB"
writes:

N2EY" wrote

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/10182004_bb_tv.html

Jim,

Are you suggesting that Toshiba should employ non-professional amateur
engineers to build their TV's to avoid this problem?

Or are you suggesting that even professionally designed equipment may
sometimes fail and generate a "birdie" at 121.5 or 243.0?

The latter, Hans.

Jim, I noticed that Hans had three options to choose from in his
original post - the third being:

Or were you just trolling?

For the sake of accuracy, this one would be the latter , Jim.....

Seems to fit best, as well. And as usual.

73 de Jim, N2EY

73, Leo