Old July 4th 09, 05:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Dressler ara30

Hi all I use an Dressler ARA 30 active antenna, how ever the PSU that I
used to power it 12V has gone belly up and in doing so it has melted a
resistor inside the little box that comes with the antenna.
Inside the box are 2 caps and 1 resistor, I can not get any colour code
from it due to the damage so I cant simply replace it.

Does any one know what this resistor could be please?

TIA,

Mike.
Old July 5th 09, 09:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

mike lee wrote:
Hi all I use an Dressler ARA 30 active antenna, how ever the PSU that I
used to power it 12V has gone belly up and in doing so it has melted a
resistor inside the little box that comes with the antenna.
Inside the box are 2 caps and 1 resistor, I can not get any colour code
from it due to the damage so I cant simply replace it.

Does any one know what this resistor could be please?

TIA,

Mike.

Could very well be an RF choke that happens to look like a resistor. Are
you sure the preamp itself is not fried?

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Use only Genuine Interocitor Parts" Tom Servo ;-P
Old July 6th 09, 01:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"RFI-EMI-GUY" wrote in message
ng.com...
mike lee wrote:
Hi all I use an Dressler ARA 30 active antenna, how ever the PSU that I
used to power it 12V has gone belly up and in doing so it has melted a
resistor inside the little box that comes with the antenna.
Inside the box are 2 caps and 1 resistor, I can not get any colour code
from it due to the damage so I cant simply replace it.

Does any one know what this resistor could be please?

TIA,

Mike.

Could very well be an RF choke that happens to look like a resistor. Are
you sure the preamp itself is not fried?

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

I agree with Joe- the preamp may have gone west. Some power inserters do use
a series resistor- but more often a choke. The only reason for it to burn up
would be excessive current draw by the preamp- or a kinked and shorted
feedline.
Put a VOM across the preamp input and see what the input resistance looks
like. Tantalums on the input often short when exposed a surge.

Dale W4OP
Dale W4OP

Old July 6th 09, 02:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Dale Parfitt wrote:
"RFI-EMI-GUY" wrote in message
ng.com...
mike lee wrote:
[...]

The only case I could see where it might be a resistor is if a MMIC like
a MAR-6 is the amplifier device. In that case calculating the resistor
would be easy per the device spec sheet. It doesn't look like Dressler
has published a schematic, so some reverse engineering might be in order.

Old July 6th 09, 07:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

[...]

The resistive voltage divider/ isolator was fairly common in some of the LF
power inserters- Burhans et al:
http://members.shaw.ca/ve7sl/burhans.html

Dale W4OP

Dressler ARA-100 FS AKSWL Shortwave 1 November 23rd 13 04:08 PM
Dressler ARA 30 mike lee Dx 0 July 4th 09 05:58 PM
Dressler ara30 active antenna Primax Shortwave 0 March 29th 08 08:49 PM
Dressler ARA- 100-HDX FS John Miller Swap 0 January 8th 07 07:46 PM
dressler blackcraven Antenna 0 October 23rd 03 02:08 AM