Old August 12th 03, 07:21 PM
Savage

Default Horizontal J type (G2BCX Slim Jim for those who remember)

Back in the early 80's when I gained my class B, I built myself a 2 metre
slim jim out of 3 mm wire, shoved it inside a piece of pvc wastepipe, and it
worked a treat. I could hang it almost anywhere with a loop or a hook, lean
it against a wall or a tree. I even used it on a bicycle with an FT290R as
a /M once - but I was much younger then

Later, I built an 11 metre version from 8mm copper microbore for a friend.
It worked very well with an swr of 1.5 or less on the mid band and no
greater than 2.6 or so at the extremes of the 5 'bands'.

I've been thinking (always a silly thing for me to do) and I've pencilled a
design for a 20 metres wire version on my computer desk and it seems to have
everything I need - specifically the feed point can be very close to the
shack, it doesn't need buried counterpoises or an rf earth and I can rig it
"hammock style" with cord through a couple of cheap eyebolts and pulleys
without climbing. My math needs refining, and I've no idea what the
bandwidth would be, but it shouldn't be difficult to make one from 1.5 or
3mm copper wire or braid, or perhaps 4mm aluminum wire and 1" pvc waterpipe
spacers and fire it up.

Or perhaps not. There could be good reasons why I've never heard of a 20m
Slim Jim, and if it was any good, why isn't everybody using one? If I've
invented something new, it's mine I tell you.... Oooh, I feel better now

Has anybody tried using a Slim Jim horizontally on HF other than on 10M?

de G6XCD

Old August 13th 03, 01:55 PM
Dale Parfitt

See: http://www.parelectronics.com/end_fedz.htm