Old October 10th 03, 04:13 AM
V65MagnaFan

Default Voltage Sensor Problem?

Hi,

This query refers to a Uniden Bearcat BC-235xlt scanner. I suspect that the
radio has a defective voltage sensor.

Charged overnight, even a new battery sets off the low battery signal after
only a couple of hours. Yet, by slapping the bottom of the unit once or
twice, the voltage sensor turns off, thereby giving me extra hours of
battery use.

So, is it worthwhile to open the radio? Am I able to adjust the voltage
sensor easily at the board?

Short of returning the unit to Uniden, is there anything I can do to repair
the unit?

TIA

Old October 10th 03, 09:23 AM
Rheilly Phoull

"V65MagnaFan" wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...
Hi,

This query refers to a Uniden Bearcat BC-235xlt scanner. I suspect that

the
radio has a defective voltage sensor.

Charged overnight, even a new battery sets off the low battery signal

after
only a couple of hours. Yet, by slapping the bottom of the unit once or
twice, the voltage sensor turns off, thereby giving me extra hours of
battery use.

So, is it worthwhile to open the radio? Am I able to adjust the voltage
sensor easily at the board?

Short of returning the unit to Uniden, is there anything I can do to

repair
the unit?

TIA

Sounds like an intermittent connection, if all the battery contacts are
clean it would probably be inside. If you continue the "Slap" routine you
may well damage something else.

--
Regards ............... Rheilly Phoull

Old October 10th 03, 11:17 PM
V65MagnaFan

Right. I understand that.

I was hoping that someone familiar with the unit could guide me through the
circuit board, perhaps to find a pot that regulates the V sensitivity.

I opened the unit today and saw no such pot. I also saw no cracks, splits,
or defects.

Then again, I'm not an expert.

Any ideas?

Old October 13th 03, 02:27 PM
V65MagnaFan

Well, guys,

It appears, after a 36hr charge, operate, recharge, operate session, that
the unit is as good as new.

I never would have thought that a corroded/dirty contact would have been the
cause, what with years and years of good service from all sorts of radios
with rechargable power supplies.

The toothbrush was very, very soft, btw,

Live and learn.

Thanks for all the help.

FCC: Broadband Power Line Systems Paul Policy 0 January 10th 05 06:41 PM
SWR meter vs TLI Reg Edwards Antenna 179 September 9th 04 06:01 PM
Battery voltage indicator Joel Homebrew 1 September 3rd 04 08:42 AM
Building a psu for linear amplifier J M Noeding Homebrew 16 December 2nd 03 12:53 AM
Checking leaky caps gil Boatanchors 86 October 31st 03 05:13 PM