Old September 10th 07, 02:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Yagi in Proximity of Vertical/SNR problem..answers???

I am stump with this problem and I hope someone has a solution. I have
a 4 Element Yagi and a vertical ground plane up each at 50' The ground
plane is 40' away from the yagi to the North . The yagi is tuned
correctly and properly built. I get this whitenoise at S-5 and can
almost kill it with my ANC-4..(Yagi has both Vert/Horizonal with same
SNR Problem) could the Ground plane due to its proximity create the
white noise. in conjunction with the beam? I recall this problem a few
years back with a Vertical on my house and the ground plane that is
the same one 40' away except the white noise was only S-1...It looks
very obvious there is some interaction. I just can not figure out what
it is. Suggestions from those that may know. I will be lowering the
Ground Plane that is 40' away from the house to see if that helps. All
antennas are tuned for 10 meters...I am so confused.. Thanks to all
in advance Mike

Old September 10th 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 18:16:28 -0700, mike wrote:

could the Ground plane due to its proximity create the
white noise. in conjunction with the beam?

Hi Mike,

Not normally. "Normally" means antennas do not, in and of themselves,
originate or source any signals. Some might, but even more remote
from "normal" is sourcing white noise. (Generally, an otherwise
passive antenna might become a re-radiator due to corroded
joints/connections. Even then, it requires an actual, active source
to make your antenna do what it might be doing.)

I recall this problem a few
years back with a Vertical on my house and the ground plane that is
the same one 40' away except the white noise was only S-1

Progressively higher noise over the years suggests weathering which
further suggests corrosion (see above).

...It looks
very obvious there is some interaction.

"Obvious" to you, perhaps. You might want to explain why.

I just can not figure out what
it is. Suggestions from those that may know. I will be lowering the
Ground Plane that is 40' away from the house to see if that helps. All
antennas are tuned for 10 meters...I am so confused.. Thanks to all
in advance Mike

Keep your antenna up there. It is too slim a chance of being the
culprit (at least until you explain what was "obvious"). You might
also tell us what you mean by "white noise." Is this across the
entire HF spectrum, across just the 10M band, or simply noise out of
the speaker on your usual frequency?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old September 10th 07, 08:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"I am stump with this problem and I hope someone has a solution. I have
a 4 Element Yagi and a vertical ground plane up each at 50' The ground
plane is 40' away from the yagi to the North . The yagi is tuned
correctly and properly built. I get this whitenoise at S-5 and can
almost kill it with my ANC-4..

The second antenna will not be the cause of your problem.

The fact that you can kill the noise with the ANC 4 means that it is not
"white noise". It must be some form of coherent interference that the beam
is picking up. Is the problem worse in one particular direction?

What antenna are you using as a secondary one for the ANC4? That antenna
must be seeing the noise as well for the ANC4 to be able to cancel it out.

Also you don't say what frequency the problem is on.

73
Jeff

Vertical antenna problem neno Antenna 7 August 31st 07 09:11 PM
Odd problem with 6/2/70 triband vertical Diogel Antenna 5 July 19th 07 09:02 AM
Proximity effect of 2 different vertical antennas Zommbee Antenna 3 December 25th 06 02:39 AM
Dual Band vertical (2m/70 cm) problem / details Ed Laughery Antenna 1 December 8th 05 04:14 PM
Hustler 6btv Vertical Tech Problem Craig Buck Antenna 0 July 23rd 03 04:26 AM