Old April 4th 17, 05:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [VK5PAS] Deep Creek Conservation Park 5CP-054 and VKFF-0780

vk5pas

Deep Creek Conservation Park 5CP-054 and VKFF-0780

https://vk5pas.org/2017/04/03/deep-c...d-vkff-0780-4/

Once we got home to the homestead, I set up the equipment outside again and
headed to 14.310 on 20m and called CQ. Â*As we had no internet coverage, I
was just hoping that someone would come across my signal. Â*It didnt take
long and I was called by Ozren 9A7W in Croatia. Â*Ozrens signal was not
overly strong but we successfully exchanged 5/5 signal reports. Â*Next was
Chris VK4BX, followed by Sasa 9A3NM in Croatia.

This was followed by a handful of Europeans from France, Poland, Italy,
Slovenia, Slovak Republic, and just 2 Australians from VK8 and VK6.

It was a pretty cool evening, only 13 deg C, so I was rugged up with my
beanie and jacket. Â* It was a much cooler evening compared to the night
earlier. Â*Marija was kind enough to bring my tea outside to me, and I took
a break, while Marija called CQ on 7.144. Â*Steve VK4QQ was her first
caller, followed by Simon VK3FSLG and then Ian VK1DI. Â*Marija logged a
total of 24 stations from VK1, VK2, VK3, VK4, VK5, VK7, and New
Zealand. Â*This included Allan VK3ARH who was on SOTA peak Mount Beckworth
VK3/ VC-024 and Gary VK5FGRY who was portable in the Morialta Conservation
ParkÂ*5CP-142 & VKFF-0783. Â*Marija was also very pleased to have her second
contact into New Zealand, with Oliver ZL1XS.

After finishing tea and lighting the slow combustion heater, I started
calling CQ on 7.144. Â*It was getting too cold for Marija, and she retreated
indoors to the fire. Â*My CQ was answered by Marshall VK3MRG who was camping
on the banks of the Upper Yarra. Â*This was followed by Damien VK3FRAB, and
then much to my surprise, Lubos KP2AD in the American Virgin
Islands. Â*Lubos was booming in at 5/9 plus and gave me a 5/5 which I was
very happy with. Â* I quickly summoned Marija outside and asked Lubos if he
would be so kind to listen out for Marija. Â*He agreed and I would the power
back down to 10 watts PEP. Â*Much to our amazement Lubos came back with a
4/4 signal report for Marija. Â*We were both very excited as this was a new
DXCC entity for Marija.

I went on to work a total of 32 stations on 7.144 from VK2, VK2, VK3, VK4,
VK5, VK6, VK7, Virgin Islands, New Zealand, and USA. Â*This included Bill
VK4FW who was portable in theÂ*Mount Walsh National Park VKFF-0363, Peter
VK3PF/p who was portable on SOTA peak VK3/ VW-007, Steve VK3SN who was
portable in the Mount Buffalo National Park VKFF-0339, and Gerard VK2IO was
portable on SOTA peak Broken Back Range VK2/ HU-054. Â*I was also very
pleased to work Clive ZL4CJR who was operating portable from the Fjordland
National Park ZLFF-0004. Â*Clive and I had quite a lengthy chat.

I then headed to 7.130 as I had been informed that Pedro NP4A in Puerto
Rico was very loud and was working VK. Â*He certainly had quite a pile up
going, and thanks to Mike VK2BXE who advised Pedro to have a listen out for
me, I logged Pedro 5/9 both ways.

I then headed down to 3.610 on the 80m band and started calling CQ. Â*The
Over the Horizon radar was choofing away in the background, but it didnt
take long and I had my first caller, Chris VK3YUN. Â*This was followed by
Mark VK6BSA who had a terrific 5/9 signal. Â*I worked a further 6 stations
from VK3, VK4, VK6, and VK7, including Tony who was on top of SOTA peak
Mount Mitchell VK3/ VN-012.

I then headed back to 40m and I tuned across the band. Â*I heard Alberto
P29LL with a huge pile up from North America. Â*I then heard Bill W1ZY
calling CQ from Rhode Island. Â*He wasnt so busy and we had a short chat,
exchanging signal reports 5/9 sent and 5/7 received). Â*Bill was quite
amazed with my operating conditions.

I then called CQ on 7.155 and worked 7 stations, including Mark AF6TC in
California USA and Oliver ZL1XS, before going QRT for the evening.

I worked the following stations on 20m SSB:-

9A7W
VK4BX
9A3NM
F1BLL
SP5INQ
IK4LZH
S52KM
OM7OM
VK8RD
VK6AHR
IZ1ERW

I worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK3MRG/p
VK3FRAB
KP2AD
VK5FANA
VK1MTS
VK3VG
VK2GPT
VK2LDN
VK3NU
VK4FW/pÂ*(Mount Walsh National Park VKFF-0363)
VK3PF/p (Near Boroka Lookout VK3/VW-007)
VK4GSF
VK3SN/p (Mount Buffalo National Park VKFF-0339)
VK2XQX
VK2IO/p (SOTA Broken Back Range VK2/ HU-054)
VK6FCAO/p
VK3HBG
VK1FC
VK7ALB
VK7VZ/p
ZL4QT
VK3ANL
VK2HJVK7PRN
KN7D
VK1HW
VK2SR
VK2HHA
VK7PSJ
VK7PAL
VK2IAN
ZL4CJR/p (Fjordland National Park ZLFF-0004)
NP4A
W1SY
VK2ZIW
AF6TC
VK6NTE
VK1AL/2
VK2XXM
ZL1XS
VK2IWU

I worked the following stations on 80m SSB:-

VK3YUN
VK6BSA
VK7PRN
VK3ZIP
VK4GSF
VK3CAT/p (SOTA Mount Mitchell VK3/ VN-012)
VK6HRC
VK3PAT

Marija worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK4QQ
VK3FSLG
VK1DI
VK2GPT
VK2LDN
VK2ND
VK3ARH (SOTA Mount Beckworth VK3/ VC-024)
VK3MMX
VK4NH
VK4FLJT
VK3FSPG
VK3MPR
VK5FGRY/p (Morialta Conservation Park 5CP-142 & VKFF-0783)
VK3ANL
VK3LBW
VK3NGD
VK7FEAT/m
VK3FCMC
VK3FRAB
VK2FSAV
VK3LPG
ZL1XS
VK2YW
VK3MRG/p
KP2AD
VK4FW/p (Mount Walsh National Park VKFF-0363)

Talisker Conservation Park 5CP-223 and VKFF-0790

https://vk5pas.org/2017/04/03/talisk...d-vkff-0790-2/

Our first activation for Saturday 1st April 2017 for the 4th Anniversary of
the VK5 National & Conservation Parks Award, was Talisker Conservation Park
5CP-223 & VKFF-0790. Â*I have activated and qualified this park previously
on a number of occasions, but it was to be a unique park for my wife Marija
VK5FMAZ for both the VK5 Parks Award and World Wide Flora Fauna (WWFF).

Talisker is located about 100 km south of Adelaide on the Fleurieu
Peninsula. Â*It was just a short drive from our accomodation at Deep Creek.

Above:- Map showing the location of the Talisker Conservation Park, south
of Adelaide. Â*Map courtesy of Protected Planet.

After breakfast we packed the 4WD and headed off to Talisker. Â*It was quite
an overcast morning with some dark clouds in the sky. Â*We certainly had our
fingers crossed that the weather would hold off.

Talisker Conservation Park was established in 1976 and consists of 211
hectares of native scrub set in very hilly terrain. Â*The park incorporates
the old Talisker silver-lead mine, which was discovered by John McLeod in
1862. Â*It was named after a locality on the Isle of Skye in
Scotland. Â*Talisker employed Cornish miners and supported a nearby township
called Silverton. Â*The population of Silverton grew to 3000 at its peak in
1870. Â*The Talisker Mining Company worked the mine until falling ore grades
and a lack of finance, forced the mine’s closure in 1872. Â*Between 1917 to
1920, the mine was worked again, mainly for arsenic.

More information on the park and its fascinating history can be found at my

https://vk5pas.org/2016/04/08/talisk...and-vkff-0790/

https://vk5pas.org/2015/01/28/talisk...vation-park-2/

https://vk5pas.org/2014/04/18/talisk...ervation-park/

We set up in our normal spot, a clearing in the scrub near the old camp
ground, off Talisker Road. Â*There is plenty of room here to stretch out the
80/40/20, linked dipole. Â*We were all set up and ready to go by just after
2300 UTC (9.30 a.m. South Australian local time). Â*The sun was occasionally
popping its head out from the clouds, so we set up the solar panels to top
up the power pack.

Above:- Aerial shot of the Talisker Conservation Park showing our operating
spot in the northern section of the park. Â*Image courtesy of Protected
Planet.

As I had activated and qualified the park previously, Marija started off on
air first. Â*Prior to calling CQ we had a quick tune across the 40m band to
see if we could find any other VK5 park activators. Â*It didnt take us
long. Â*We soon found Tony VK3XV/5 calling CQ on 7.144 from the Lower
Glenelg River Conservation Park 5CP-122 & VKFF-0905. Â*Tony was very low
down (5/1), but as there was no man made noise on the band from the park,
Tony was easily worked (5/1 received). Â*It was clear that close in
propagation was going to be a challenge during the activation which was a
real pity, as we were both hoping for some Park to Park action.

After speaking with Tony, Marija then headed to 7.150 where she commenced
calling CQ. Â*This was answered by Roald VK1MTS with a strong 5/8 signal,
followed by Steve VK3FSPG/VK3MPR, and then Geoff VK3SQ. Â*It didnt take long
for a mini pile up to ensue, and considering Marija has only been licenced
for 12 months, she did a very admirable job managing the pile up. Â*Marija
logged a total of 34 stations on 40m from VK1, VK2, VK3, VK4, VK5, and
VK7. Â*But at that stage, Tony was our only VK5 Parks activator. Â*It
appeared that Tony, Marija and I were the only early starters for the
anniversary weekend.

After a good run on 40m, we then lowered the squid pole and inserted the
links for the 80m band and headed to 3.610. Â*I spotted Marija on
parksnpeaks and Marija called CQ. Â*This was answered by the ever reliable
Mick VK3GGG/VK3PMG, with a strong 5/8 signal from western Victoria. Â*Adrian
VK5FANA who was portable in the Clements Gap Conservation Park 5CP-043 &
VKFF-0812 in the Mid North of South Australia then called us. Â*Sadly, due
to a high noise floor on 80m we were just not quite able to pull Adrian
through. Â*We werent really sure where the noise was coming from, as we were
certainly not near any known interference sources. Â*Marija then spoke with
Col VK5HCF in Mount Gambier, Ivan VK5HS in the Riverland, and then John
VK5DJ at Millicent in the South East. Â*Adrian then called in again, and
thanks to his patience and persistence, we were able to make a valid
contact just as out noise floor dropped for us. Â*I also logged Adrian Park
to Park.

Marija and IÂ*then decided to try the 15m band. Â*We had seen a few comments
on one of the Facebook sites from some USA stations asking us to try
15m. Â*So it was down with the 80/40/20m linked dipole, and up with the 15m
1/2 wave dipole. Â*Sadly, about five minutes of Marijas CQ calls went
unanswered, so I jumped into the operators seat and called CQ. Â*After about
5 minutes of CQ calls, Hans VK6XN from Western Australia came back to my CQ
call. Â*Unfortunately Hans was our only contact on 15m. Â*Marija was now just
1 contact short of qualifying the park for WWFF, with 43 contacts in the
log.

We headed back to the 40m band where we both worked Wade VK1FWBD who was
portable on a SOTA peak,Â*Tuggeranong Hill VK1/ AC-038. Â*Wade was Marijas
44th contact, and a successful park activation in the log.

I then took control of the mic and called CQ on 7.144. Â*My first taker
there was Fred VK3DAC, followed by Les VK2DSG and then regular park hunter
Rick VK4RF/VK4HA. Â*A few of the VK5 Park activators now started to appear,
and Marija and I swapped the mic each time to log them Park to Park.
The trig point in the park, opposite our operating position

South Australian park activators logged on 7.144 on 40m we

Mark VK5QI/p Warren Conservation Park 5CP-247 & VKFF-0941
Adrian VK5FANA/p Clements Gap Conservation ParkÂ*5CP-043 & VKFF-0812
Greg VK5ZGY/p Lake Frome Conservation Park 5CP-108 & VKFF-0900
Greg VK5GJ/p, Hesperilla Conservation ParkÂ*5CP-090 & VKFF-1038
Norm VK5GI/p, Hesperilla Conservation ParkÂ*5CP-090 & VKFF-1038
Gary VK5FGRY/p Morialta Conservation Park 5CP-142 & VKFF-0783
Ray VK5RR Hogwash Bend Conservation Park 5CP-092 & VKFF-0892
Tony VK5MRT/p, Bullock Hill Conservation Park 5CP-265 & VKFF-0873
Peter VK5PET/p Cleland Conservation Park 5CP-042 & VKFF-0778 & SOTA Mount
Lofty VK5/ SE-005
Mark VK5QI/p Cromer Conservation Park 5CP-049 & VKFF-0779

Interstate park activators logged on 40m we

Peter VK3PF/p, Mount Eccles National Park VKFF-0345
Neil VK4HNS/p -Dthinnwan National Park VKFF-0587
Mark VK4SMA/p White Rock Conservation Park VKFF-1676
Rob VK4AAC/p Goomboorian National Park VKFF-0722
Mick VK3PMG/VK3GGG/p Kara Kara National Park VKFF-0629

Interstate SOTA activators logged on 40m we

Gerard VK2IO VK2/ HU-080
Peter VK3PF/p, Mount Rouse VK3/ VS-048
Mick VK3PMG/VK3GGG/p West of England Range VK3/ VW-013

Some other interesting contacts included Steve VK5SFA who was using a 1.2 m
diameter loop antenna, and Craig VK3CRG who was streaming my QSOs on VK3RTV
Digital Amateur Television.

After logging a total of 79 stations on 7.144, traffic started to slow
down. Â*So we took the opportunity of tuning across the 40m band and picking
up a few more South AustralianÂ*& interstate park activators.

Tony VK3XV/5 Penambol Conservation Park 5CP-175 &Â*VKFF-0802
Andrew VK5MR/p Lake Torrens National Park 5NP-013 & VKFF-0278
Greg VK5ZGY/p Beachport Conservation Park 5CP-014 & VKFF-0791
Keith VK5OQ/3 Lower Glenelg National Park VKFF-0296

We were now 5 hours into our activation and I had not yet got up to
20m. Â*So it was time to try that band. Â*I self spotted on parksnpeaks and
then called CQ on 14.310 and this was answered by Hans VK6XN in Western
Australia, who I had worked a little earlier on the 15m band. Â*Hans was a
good 5/8, considerably stronger than his earlier signal on 15m. Â* I worked
a further 8 stations on 20m including:

Mark VK4SMA/p -White Rock Conservation Park VKFF-1676
Neil VK4HNS/p Goomboorian National Park VKFF-0587

It was now approaching 0500 UTC (3.30 p.m. local time), and we decided to
have one last listen on 40m before calling it a day at Talisker. Â*We were
pleased we did, as we logged David VK5HYZ in the Mount Remarkable National
Park 5NP-015 & VKFF-0360.

Marija and I ended up with a total of 158 QSOs for this activation,
including a total of 42 Park to Park contacts.

Thankyou to everyone who called, and thanks to those who took the time to
spot us.

I worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK3XV/5 (Lower Glenelg River Conservation Park 5CP-122 & VKFF-0905)
VK1FWBD/p (Tuggeranong Hill SOTA VK1/ AC-038)
VK3DAC
VK2DSG
VK4RF
VK4HA
VK5QI/p (Warren Conservation Park 5CP-247 & VKFF-0941)
VK5FANA/p (Clements Gap Conservation Park 5CP-043 & VKFF-0812)
VK3SQ
VK3PF/p (Mount Eccles National Park VKFF-0345)
VK3TKK
VK3FRAB
VK3PAT
VK3GGG
VK3PMG
VK3SFG
VK3FCMC
VK5JW
VK1DI
VK3MRH
VK3TJK
VK3GTS
VK3FLCS
VK2IO/p (SOTA VK2/ HU-080)
VK5ZGY/p (Lake Frome Conservation Park 5CP-108 & VKFF-0900)
VK5GJ/p (Hesperilla Conservation Park 5CP-090 & VKFF-1038)
VK5GI/p (Hesperilla Conservation Park 5CP-090 & VKFF-1038)
VK5IS/p
VK3UCD
VK3ANL
VK3SB
VK7JON/m
VK7FOLK/m
VK5AW
VK3GWS
VK3RV
VK4HNS/p (Dthinnwan National Park VKFF-0587)
VK5FGRY/p (Morialta Conservation Park 5CP-142 & VKFF-0783)
VK7PRN
VK3BNJ
VK3MAB
VK5FAKV
VK3CBP
VK5RR/p (Hogwash Bend Conservation Park 5CP-092 & VKFF-0892)
VK5KB
VK5EMI
VK4SMA/p (White Rock Conservation Park VKFF-1676)
VK3ARH
VK4AAC/p (Goomboorian National Park VKFF-0722)
VK5MRT/p (Bullock Hill Conservation Park 5CP-265 & VKFF-0873)
VK5PET/p (Cleland Conservation Park 5CP-042 & VKFF-0778 & Mt Lofty summit
VK5/ SE-005)
VK2YW
VK5HCF/m
VK5FCDL
VK3PF/p (SOTA Mount Rouse VK3/ VS-048)
VK5KLV
VK3VLA
VK5FMWW
VK5SFA
VK3GGG/p (Kara Kara National Park VKFF-0629 & SOTA VK3/ VW-013)
VK3PMG/p (Kara Kara National Park VKFF-0629 & SOTA VK3/ VW-013)
VK3CRG
VK5HS
VK5QI/p (Cromer Conservation Park 5CP-049 & VKFF-0779)
VK3ALA/7
VK2LX
VK3FLJD
VK4GSF
VK2HHA
VK2FENG
VK5MLB
VK3ATC
VK2VW
VK3KMA
VK5NMG
VK5KSW
VK3KMH
VK3BBB
VK3FSPG
VK3MPR
VK5ZRY/m
VK3FEVT
VK3XV/5 (Penambol Conservation Park 5CP-175 & VKFF-0802)
VK5MR/p (Lake Torrens National Park 5NP-013 & VKFF-0278)
VK5ZGY/p (Beachport Conservation Park 5CP-014 & VKFF-0791)
VK5OQ/3 (Lower Glenelg River National Park)
VK5HYZ/p (Mount Remarkable National Park 5NP-015 and VKFF-0360)

I worked the following stations on 80m SSB:-

VK5FANA/p (Clements Gap Conservation Park 5CP-043)

I worked the following station on 15m SSB:-

VK6XN

I worked the following stations on 20m SSB:-

VK6XN
VK2HOT
VK4DA
VK4QQ
VK2XXM
VK6AHR
VK4SMA/p (White Rock Conservation Park VKFF-1676)
VK4HNS/p (Goomboorian National Park VKFF-0587)
VK4YLH

Marija worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK3XV/5 (Lower Glenelg River Conservation Park 5CP-122 & VKFF-0905)
VK1MTS
VK3FSPG
VK3MPR
VK3SQ
VK7JON
VK3SFG
VK4FW
VK4RZ
VK2AMF
VK3ARH
VK7NOH
VK2WG
VK2YW/p
VK3FSLG
VK3KMA
VK3FCMC
VK4RF
VK4HA
VK4HNS/p
VK7PRN
VK3OHM
VK3QA
VK3VIN
VK2XXM
VK3PAT
VK3FRAB
VK5FMWW/m
VK3YE
VK3FHCT
VK7FOLK/m
VK2FADV
VK2VAA
VK3GGG
VK3PMG
VK3TKK/m
VK3SQ
VK1FWBD/p (Tuggeranong Hill SOTA VK1/ AC-038)
VK3PF/p (Mount Eccles National Park VKFF-0345)
VK5ZGY/p (Lake Frome Conservation Park5CP-108 & VKFF-0900)
VK5GI/p (Hesperilla Conservation Park 5CP-090 & VKFF-1038)
VK5GJ/p (Hesperilla Conservation Park 5CP-090 & VKFF-1038)
VK4HNS/p (Dthinnwan National Park VKFF-0587)
VK5FANA/p (Clements Gap Conservation Park 5CP-043 & VKFF-0812)
VK5FGRY/p (Morialta Conservation Park 5CP-142 & VKFF-0783)
VK5RR/p (Hogwash Bend Conservation Park 5CP-092 & VKFF-0892)
VK4AAC/p (Goomboorian National Park VKFF-0722)
VK5MRT/p (Bullock Hill Conservation Park 5CP-265 & VKFF-0873)
VK3PF/p (SOTA Mount Rouse VK3/ VS-048)
VK5QI/p (Cromer Conservation Park 5CP-049 & VKFF-0779)
VK3XV/5 (Penambol Conservation Park 5CP-175 & VKFF-0802)
VK5MR/p (Lake Torrens National Park 5NP-013 & VKFF-0278)
VK5ZGY/p (Beachport Conservation Park 5CP-014 & VKFF-0791)
VK5HYZ/p (Mount Remarkable National Park 5NP-015 & VKFF-0360)

Marija worked the following stations on 15m SSB:-

VK6XN

Marija worked the following stations on 80m SSB:-

VK3GGG
VK3PMG
VK5HCF
VK5HS
VK5DJ
VK5FANA/p (Clements Gap Conservation Park 5CP-043 & VKFF-0812)

At the end of the activation we drove down to Blowhole Beach. Â*The track
down to the beach is definitely only 4WD. Â*It is very rocky and steep, and
has numerous washaways. Â*It is clearly marked 4WD ONLY.

As we grew closer to the bottom car parking area we saw that there were a
number of surfers enjoying the waves.

There are some very nice views here, out across the Southern Ocean and out
to Kangaroo Island.

We then drove down to the bottom of Tapanappa Road and along the dirt track
to the camping area. Â*We enjoyed some sensational views of the coastline
from here.