Old March 20th 17, 08:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default QRZ Forums - Homebrew and Kit Projects for Monday 20 March 2017

Homebrew and Kit Projects

Which soldering iron should I get?

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thre...-i-get.559756/

Ive never done much soldering, and what I did was with a cheap Radio Shack
iron. Im planning on putting together some wire antennas, and experimenting
with Raspberry Pi, so I thought i should get a quality soldering iron.

Reading here and elsewhere, the Weller WES51 gets high praise, but is it
overkill for my needs? I dont mind paying for quality equipment, but I dont
want to waste money either. I see other stations for half as much, and
stand alone irons for even less.

What is the...

Which soldering iron should I get?

Minima - anybody?

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thre...nybody.559835/

Since QRZ search returned 3 , much stale , entries with usual mixture
of "like it / dont like it / interesting design " OPINIONS, here is a link
(repost ) with a question.

http://www.phonestack.com/farhan/minima.html

Did anybody ACTUALLY build one and if so could you share your results, not
just opinions, those are cheap.

73 Shirley

Shameless bragging... 80/40m CW rig

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thre...cw-rig.559749/

Heres a little 80/40m CW rig that I built a while back. It uses a 6AG7
oscillator and a 6146 amp. Power output is about 25 Watts. Its based on
an old QST article (for the life of me, I cant remember the date). It has
a built-in antenna relay with receiver muting contacts for single-switch
T/R operation. I built this one using stuff that I had on hand. The
chassis is an aluminum Bud box. The power transformer is from a Heath
HW-16. The PA cage and Loading cap are from an HW-101....

Shameless bragging... 80/40m CW rig

Old March 21st 17, 01:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In article , rec-radio-amateur-
says...

[...]

for the average person that is probably over kill. If you want to stay
with Weller look at the WLC 100 for about 1/3 the price.

If just for hobby work you may want to check out the hot air rework
stations. It has a hot air gun and a decent soldering iron. I have one
like it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMD-2in1-Des...oldering-Iron-
Welder-Hot-Air-Gun-Rework-Station-86-/301422547823?
hash=item462e2f136f:g:F18AAOSwx-9WzTAO

For antenna work you are going to need a good soldering gun or heavy
duty iron. The light irons like the Weller does not have enough mass on
the tip to heat large wire and connectors.
One like the Weller 8200 or larger gun is what you want to look into.

Get some of the good old 60/40 or beter yet 63/37 solder rosin core.
Stay away from the lead free junk.