Old August 24th 03, 03:46 AM
Brian

Default Astatic D-104 wired for Icom w/ K0SF amp board

Russ -

I was intrigued enough by your mention of the K0SF board to do a web search,
as I was not familiar with it -- as it turns out, it is the same circuit I
found inside the base of an Astatic 10DA that I had purchased on eBay not
too long ago. Now I know the source of the circuit.

(For those unfamiliar with the K0SF board, it designed to allow use of the
high-impedance D-104 with the old unamplified UG-8 base with low-impedance
rigs).

Thanks for the (perhaps unintended) education.

Brian

"RaOuL" wrote in message

This auction is for an Astatic D-104 desk microphone with the K0SF

amplifier
board installed and wired for an 8 pin Icom radio.

While this microphone does work great, it is an "ugly duckling" - there

are
2 holes drilled in the base and the base has been painted black. This was
all from its previous life as a CB mic. It has been rescued from that

and
is now a serious ham mic!

This product is in working condition, but is sold strictly "as-is" because
that is how all electronics gear is sold on ebay these days.

High bidder will pay within 10 days of auction close by either PayPal or
money order. Shipping charges will be the actual charges from 03051 to

your
destination for 3 lbs. through Priority Mail.

Hurry! Auction ends Sunday afternoon!!! Current bid is $10.49

Thanks for looking.

Russ KB1GKN

Old August 25th 03, 02:18 AM
RaOuL

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your interest! If you're interested in researching it further,
there is an article in the Aug 99 QST that details this circuit and this is
where I got the idea to try it. It builds on earlier work by a gentleman
named Fentem (sp?) whose amplifier for the D-104 is widely respected but was
unobtainable when I was in the market for an amp. The author also maintains
a website at http://members.aol.com/~Ampmicro.htm

73,
Russ KB1GKN

Old July 23rd 05, 08:28 PM
Junior Member

Location: Corcoran, MN
Send a message via AIM to k0sf
Lightbulb

I happened across these comments on the D104 mic buffer. For now, the ampmicro website is dead. But, I still sell the amp buffers, and I provide support for fixes and modifications for users, new or from re-sale.

I have modified the circuit slightly since '99 to enhance bass response. Also, there is a FET based amplifier that works in some applications, but the author missed two points regarding my buffer:

1.) The FET buffer is single-ended, mine is balanced, which is the Astatic D104 cartridge configuration.

2.) The FET consumes considerable more power. The op-amp I use is a micro power device, allowing it to run from a 9V battery for months, or from a power take-off from an electret cartridge-biased mic input such as what is used by Icom.

You can contact me at for additional info. The buffer sells for $30 wired and tested, plus $5 shipping and handling in CONUS.

73,

Steve Fraasch, K0SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian