LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old February 25th 12, 05:46 PM

First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Jan 2011
Default Is it CB or 20 meters

Was just wondering.

Here is a real good one.
Yesterday evening - working the Gray Line - it was possible on 20 and 40 meters to work into Europe with 100 watts and a wire antenna.

I was trying to carry on a QSO when someone came along, shouting out his call sign, using more then 1000 watts on 20 meters, into a large beam antenna from Cape Canaveral Fla - talking to someone in the Netherlands.

I waited patiently until a lul in the conversation and I said contact.
The Florida station came back and I gave him a signal report 40 / s-9 and told him he was running too much power.

The guy shifted gears and started getting belligerent and was telling me to go to he11 and that he can use any damn amount of power he wants and that I am not the frequency police.

The guy he was talking to was using a G5RV and 100 watts.
I think he might have been using a radio at the NASA place at Cape Canaveral - I am not sure. He kept bragging about his Collins radio gear including near legal limit amplifier and you can pretty much put two and two together.

Now I learned a long time ago that you cannot teach a CB'r anything because they know it all.
But I also learned that the ARRL told the FCC that we do not need them to patrol our airwaves - because as amateurs - we take care of our own and we can monitor or own bands and remind others who are breaking the rules - to be more considerate of others.

I'm sure that the person N4LEM - had a schedule and was just doing what he had always done. At the same time - when the frequency is in use - you go someplace else. Even if the person you are interfering with is 2 or 3 kc's away, if they say - turn it down man, turn it down - you either turn it down or you leave.

You don't get belligerent and you don't start talking out your butt, and you don't tell people we are allowed to use 1500 watts and if I have a 1500 watt amplifier - I am allowed to use it anytime I want and you don't get obnoxious - you act like a professional person and you say thank you and you turn the power down or you move someplace where you are not interfering with other stations.

I actually wanted to say to the guy - go back to the 160 meters where you belong, or the Rooster Net or Old Buzzards Net or even 80 meters! - but I am not that kind of guy!

Maybe this topic should be - how much is legal limit?
The amount of power needed to make a contact? - or the amount of power that your amplifier produces?

Last edited by Channel Jumper : February 25th 12 at 05:51 PM